Is the term "black person" considered offensive?

So many (white) people are so careful to say african american. I am in the south (which means constant racial tension) and white, but have been the minority many times in my life. I am not offended when people say I am white (i actually prefer it to caucasian, which I don't even think I can spell). ***This... show more So many (white) people are so careful to say african american. I am in the south (which means constant racial tension) and white, but have been the minority many times in my life. I am not offended when people say I am white (i actually prefer it to caucasian, which I don't even think I can spell).

***This is If I am describing a person that is black, which happens often since I am a medical professional. I don't just walk around telling people that they are black. i am not a dumbass
Update: Sweet, is that an agree or disagree?