Have political parties Become like CULTS and is that a good thing?

I mean you can murder someone and people will mindlessly back you is that not aq sign of being a cult?

• Favorite Answer

I don't know if the comparison of political parties to cults is relevant, but I do know far too often people from both sides turn a blind eye to the politicians from their side and turn a watchful eye to the practices of the opposing party. Unfortunately, this sometimes lets those doing the most harm off the hook while we harass and even inhibit the ability of those who are acting in our best interests to do their jobs properly. The most American thing we can do is hold our elected officials accountable. We need to make sure our elected officials are looking out for the best interests of ALL Americans, not just the select few and not even for the things that matter most to us as individuals because what matters most is what's best for the country. Nothing should ever come before that, especially not political affiliation.

• Joe S

From widipedia [1], the first line of the entry reads:

"Cult typically refers to a cohesive social group devoted to beliefs or practices that the surrounding culture considers outside the mainstream, with a notably positive or negative popular perception."

Proceeding from there, it is clear that there is some debate over what defines a cult. I found the offered psychological definition interesting:

"Studies of the psychological aspects of cults focus on the individual person, and factors relating to the choice to become involved as well as the subsequent effects on individuals. Under one view, an important factor is coercive persuasion which suppresses the ability of people to reason, think critically, and make choices in their own best interest.

Studies of religious, political, and other cults have identified a number of key steps in this type of coercive persuasion:

1. People are put in physically or emotionally distressing situations;

2. Their problems are reduced to one simple explanation, which is repeatedly emphasized;

3. They receive unconditional love, acceptance, and attention from the leader;

4. They get a new identity based on the group;

5. They are subject to entrapment and their access to information is severely controlled."

From this definition, I think that #2 is the closest to being true for the mainstream parties. However, their "one simple explanation" changes over time. #4 is also quite true. People identify themselves as Democrat or Republican and take a great deal of pride in that identity. I don't really see much in the other three characteristics.

Personally, I do frequently see people substitute party positions for personal judgment. This does seem kind of cult-like to me even if the parties are too large to take on classical cult characteristics.

No. I do not think this is a good thing.

I don't get the distinction between politics and cults. The two have always been interchangeable, that's why I remain independent. NO brain implants for me, thank you.

Without a doubt, and that is the problem when you only have two prominent parties.

The funny, and sad, thing is that NObama has his own cult of misled followers within the party.

We were warned a long time ago by our forefathers not to put party loyalty before a mans character. Good advice. I wish more Americans followed it.

I dunno I think of a cult leader as a slightly fat guy who always wears sunglasses and is partial to funky robes.

That or an Indian who sits in the lotus position and takes lots of valium.

When we see hillary always wearing shades or sitting in the lotus you will have an excellent point.

I think your insulting the American people isn't a good Idea.

oh god yes. and lord no, its not good at all

Source(s): independant free thinker.