Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender & Women's Studies · 1 decade ago

feminist heroes?

do you know any feminist heroes?

why are they feminist heroes?

any comments on feminist heroes, etc ?

thankyou =]

I am essentially a feminist hero, but like most heroes I'm unappreciated in my time. One day you will thank me for helping you to snap out of your feminist delusions =D or not..

Vagina Al Fresco has written wonderfully about some outstanding women.

You might also like to check out the links below for some other wonderful biographies of women and men who are admired by feminists, and by other thinking people around the world.

Some to consider might be Emmeline Pankhurst, Mary Wollstonecraft, Sojourner Truth, Wangari Maathai, and so many, many more.

Cheers :-)

Maragaret Sanger- She fought for access to birth control and sexuality information, as well as paved the way for the abortion rights movement. Very few feminists have done so much as she to ensure that women are the ones controlling their bodies and reproduction.

Rosie O'Donnell

Valerie Solanas

Andrea Dworkin

Danica patrick

• Dee

Generally feminists don't like heroes, because a hero is a big, strong, masculine, courageous, male warrior. Like Hercules or Achilles, or Perseus, or Conan the Barbarian.

And most feminists really seem to hate strong, powerful, masculine men. (Especially the radical feminists, who want to make all men more like women, and make all women more like men. That is, they want to erase all the natural and wonderful differences between the sexes. How boring.)

Perhaps you're asking about feminist *heroines*?

That is, are there women that some feminists regard as admirable? I'm sure there are.

Most of them I would not agree with, except maybe Margaret Sanger, the founder of Planned Parenthood.

When I was younger, one of my heroines was the novelist and philosopher Ayn Rand, because she wrote some very strong heroines into her novels, women who were engineers and executives, etc. That was quite unusual fifty years ago. But mainly Rand was a very passionate woman, who loved men and wanted more than anything else to have a heroic man to look up to. Her male heroes were regarded as gods by the women who adored them, one scene described how Kira felt like a priestess worshipping her man as if he were a god. Very romantic.

She also felt that was the very essence of femininity. In fact, there is some famous quote where she defines hero-worship as the essence of femininity. She was also very fond of dominant men, and her books became scandalously famous for, among other more notable features, her sex scenes. In Atlas Shrugged the heroine is raped by the hero, and she is thrilled and delighted, and deeply in love with him. Many feminists later got offended by Ayn Rand, for her apparent glorification of rape. But she explained it as "rape by engraved invitation."

A few years back, there was a book with various feminists giving their interpretations of Ayn Rand's work. It was pretty ironic, because she did not consider herself a feminist at all. And neither am I. But that's one of the very few things I still have in common with Ayn Rand these days.

I outgrew my youthful feminist idealism years ago, when I realized how ridiculous "mainstream" feminism was becoming. And now it's even worse, it has become downright man-hating nonsense that is destructive to men and women alike. But the good news is that when anything becomes that absurd, then inevitably the pendulum will start to swing back in the other direction, there will be a growing backlash against the radical extremes. And the backlash against feminism is well underway, and getting bigger every year.

.

Here are just a few of them, trying to do the best they can under horrible conditions and under severe oppression. Before I post the article I would like to add the name of Benazir Bhutto of Pakistan who was assassinated in December. Oh, and let's not forget the women teachers in Afghanistan who teach girls in secret places so the Taliban won't find and kill them. It is not unusual for these women's families to receive death treats; every once in a while a murdered body of one of these heroic women is found laying in a gutter in some city or village street.

"US First Lady Laura Bush has conferred an award honoring the women of military-ruled Myanmar in their determined battle to restore democracy and human rights in the Southeast Asian state.

Democracy icon Aung San Suu Kyi, a Nobel laureate who has spent more than 12 years under house arrest since 1989, is spearheading the campaign for reforms in Myanmar.

The award was given by President George W. Bush's wife late Monday on behalf of Vital Voices Global Partnership, a non-governmental organization that identifies, trains, and empowers emerging women leaders and social entrepreneurs around the globe.

Charm Tong, a member of a women's action group from Myanmar's Shan state where rights groups had accused the military of systematically raping tribal women, received the award on behalf of her compatriots.

Another Myanmar human rights award recipient, Khin Ohmar, coordinator of the Asia Pacific People's Partnership on Burma, could not attend the ceremony due to work commitments. Burma is the previous name of Myanmar.

"We pay tribute to the people of Burma -- especially the women, who have inspired the world with their grace and courage in the face of brutality," Laura Bush said at the awards presentation ceremony.

Since the military's bloody crackdown on peaceful protests led by monks in October last year, the first lady has personally campaigned to press for democratic rights for the people of Myanmar

"Unarmed monks who led the demonstrations were beaten, arrested, and killed. Bullets were sprayed into crowds of peaceful protesters, and thousands were imprisoned under shameful conditions," she said, recollecting the crackdown.

"Arrests and beatings of peaceful activists continue today, and demonstrators remain incarcerated," she said.

Other Vital Voices award recipients were Mariane Pearl, the widow of Wall Street Journal correspondent Daniel Pearl, who was kidnapped and murdered by Islamic militants in Pakistan, Kakenya Ntaiya, an education advocate from Kenya and Laura Alonso, political corruption activist from Argentina.

United Arab Emirates Trade Minister Sheikha Lubna al Qasimi received the "global trailblazer" award for being the first woman to hold a cabinet position in her country."

Whoever gave me a "thumbs down" hasn't the courage, the brains nor the balls to do what ANY of these heros do every single day. Some are imprisoned, some are killed, some have their families threatened with death, but the work goes on. The bullies can't be allowed to win.

You should be ashamed of yourself, you piece of filth.

Source(s): Myanmar's women of "courage" win US award http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/080408/usa/us_myanm...

Oja Kodar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F_for_Fake

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oja_Kodar

Watch F for Fake and all will become clear...

My mom!

The woman is a spitfire, that's for sure. She's amazing. Taught me to be strong, tough and witty.

- Hitler.

- That Nazi that killed 200 Allies.

- Satan.