What is a particular step or action one might take toward achieving enlightenment in the Buddhist world view?

How might a Buddhist challege her/himself to live out Buddha-like qualities in some practical way?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

it does not matter whether you are standing or running if these are compared to the speed of light. to reach the speed you must take a leap, stop being human and become the light. it is the only way to where many paths lead. at some step one must take a leap or stay from freedom not closer than he or she was before the first step on the path.

until then any step will do. for example you can meditate say 10 minutes a day. or visit a temple, talk to a monk or teacher. or read old texts. or just think. doing nothing goes fine as well. any of these will do their job, yet they only can get you this far and not closer to liberation.

steps are human. goals are human. light cares not about these.

good luck.

mickael

• 1 decade ago

The most general response would be the eightfold path, but I'd like to present something different, since you specifically asked about "qualities."

There are 10 virtues or "paramis." (Paramitas in sanskrit) Qualities that the Buddha is said to develop over his lifetimes before his final birth as Siddhartha. What I like about these is that they are so universal and pratical.

1. Charity/Generosity (dana)

Not just money or things, but perhaps time or attentiveness or your presense.

2. Virtue/Morality/Conduct (sila)

(such as the precepts)

3. Renunciation (nekkhama)

Simply means giving up a lesser happiness for a greater happiness. Doesn't mean you have to shave your head and go live in a monastery. But it might mean meditating instead of watching american idol or something.

4. Wisdom/Knowledge (panna)

I'll open up a can of worms if I try to "explain" what wisdom is!

5. Energy/Effort (viriya)

The constant effort applied to the path, in the middle way, done without extremes.

6. Patience (khanti)

Self explanatory!

7. Truthfulness (sacca)

Self explanatory!

8. Determination (adhitthana)

Self explanatory!

9. Loving kindness (metta)

Unlimited friendliness for all beings. "Weak or strong, tall or short, medium or stout, seen or unseen, born and yet to be born..."

10. Equanimity (uppkeha)

Balance of mind.

I tried not to go overboard with explanations. Of course you can read about these things elsewhere.

Source(s): 10 Perfections study guide by Thanissaro Bhikkhu --> http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/study/perfectio... Audio series --> http://www.audiodharma.org/talks-paramis.html Yahoo group --> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/paramitas/
  • 1 decade ago

Practical step for modern world :

1) No greed, no hatred, no delusion

2) Practice kind loving compassion

3) Do a good deed a day.

4) Love thy neighbours on this planet regardless of race, religion, sex, status, wealth, etc.. for all are equal. (if you can encompass the other living creatures, then the more the better)

5) Repent your mistakes within thy heart and mind and do not repeat the mistakes again for this is true repentence.

• 3 years ago

ok that's not the subject. the subject is having considered one of these want which you substitute into fixated. the element is that in case you substitute into enthusiastic approximately this want and additionally you could by no skill get it, then you definately are basically inflicting your self suffrage. So attempt to be that activities action picture star and get the female....do exactly no longer make it your total existence. If issues go incorrect, pass on...you need to recover from the needs and the suffering, you could no longer survive them. Buddhism says that suffering comes from want and to end suffering you need to end the will. you need to understand whilst to resign and pass on. you could no longer go down swinging whilst there is not any one to hit. case in point. I desire to be sure a action picture next week...yet whilst my plans do no longer artwork out, I do exactly something else. i do no longer sit down and cry and ***** by way of fact i did no longer get to be sure the action picture i had to be sure.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Hello. I'm a Buddhist. Nichiren Buddhism teaches that each of us already have the Buddha-like qualities ( we call it Buddha nature) within our lives. To activate this potential we have, we chant Nam-myoho- renge-kyo.

Nam-means devotion. myoho-renge-kyo means the name of our Buddha nature. This is a most practical way to bring out our unlimited potential we have. As a result of chanting, we can bring out our Buddha nature, like compassion, courage, wisdom, vitality and apply it day to day reality.

For more information, Please check

http://www.sgi.org

http://www.sgi-usa.org

• 1 decade ago

Practice acceptance, maybe?

Hmm. Someone didn't like my answer? Very well, I shall rephrase it. 'Nobody ever achieved enlightenment who wanted it'. How's that?

Namaste.

Source(s): Remember the five simple rules to be happy: 1 Free your heart from hatred 2 Free your mind from worries 3 Live simply 4 Give more 5 Expect less - Jeff "The Dude" Bridges
  • Consider others more important than yourself.

• Teaim
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Do zazen.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.