Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Bible bashers / Unbelievers?

Simple question. I know by your questions you consider the bible a joke, A bronze age book by goat herders, a sexist, racist hate book, used to keep a few in power while keep the multitude in fear.

Countless times you tell us how science has disproved what many, my self included, call the word of God.

Please enlighten me, if you will. Can you show me a particular verse that has been proven false by modern science.

Very simple, list verse, and then fact of science that is not debatable that proves it wrong.

One example would be, the earth is flat, science proves the world is round. BUT, no where in the bible does it EVER say the earth is flat, IT does say the in regards to the winds, the four corners, well, my science tells me there is a north south east and west. We use terms such as ‘winds of 35 mph, from the south, or a strong eastern breeze. That, oh learned group is your Four Corners,

Now do you have a real one to put forward?

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best answer

As a Christian as well a knowledgeable person, I find that when people take everything for granted they usually have their mind set on something. Why not just use the bible as a great self help Book like Luke chapter 6. Or John Chapter 3.

It goes to show you by all the different denominations that man is not always right but with a founded belief in who Jesus Christ was, is and always will be, THE SON OF GOD, we can be forgiven.

I'm too the point in why proving a point to people who will not listen!!

Just show them some scripture and let them accept it or not and move on!

Who knows they may actually surprise you and give you a more Christian response to that scripture.

• 1 decade ago

I can list dozens. First Kings 7:23 and Chronicles 4:2-5 indicate that pi is 3.00, but I knew when I was in elementary school that it is 3.14159...! Revelation 6:13-14 and many other verses from Genesis to Revelation indicate that the sky is a solid dome a few miles above us that can roll up like a scroll and cause stars to fall to the earth. If you believe the Bible, you cannot work in engineering or astronomy. Be serious now! Do you really believe everything in the Bible? Someone listed many in genesis. If I want to find a Bible verse science has proven wrong, all I must do is to open the Bible randomly, and I am sure to find something quickly.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Science has at least proved that biblical literalism is stupid, as you can see by your example, as the four corners is clearly metaphorical.

However, the bible also mentions a passage about a man on top of a mountain who could see 'all the kingdoms of the world', which would clearly only be possible from a really high mountain and on a flat earth. So there you go, straight off the bible just said there's a flat earth. And evolution has been clearly proven bucko, just as has the fact that the world is billions of years old, not 6000. Luckily it's only very bizarre biblical literalists who don't get this fact.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

you haven't followed the creationist/evolutionary theory debate ever, have you?

The account of creation in the bible is fine as a symbolic story, but not as a literal account. Whales certainly did not come into existence before any other land mammals, it's pretty clear that whoever wrote genesis thought whales are fish.

Bats aren't birds either.

(These are the birds you are to detest and not eat because they are detestable: the eagle, ... any kind of heron, the hoopoe and the bat ;Leviticus 11:13-19)

You may eat any clean bird. But these you may not eat: the eagle, ... any kind of heron, the hoopoe and the bat. Deuteronomy 14:11-17)

So the Lord God said to the serpent, "Because you have done this, ... You will crawl on your belly and you will eat dust..." (Genesis 3:14)

Snakes don't eat dust. Maybe accidentally, but never intentionally.

There are some that only chew the cud or only have a split hoof, but you must not eat them. The camel, though it chews the cud, does not have a split hoof; it is ceremonially unclean for you. (Leviticus 11:4)

Camels have split hooves, go to the next zoo and look

Lev 11:20-21: "All fowls that creep, going upon all four, shall be an abomination unto you."

Have you seen any 4 legged fowl yet?

Lev 11:6: "And the hare, because he cheweth the cud..."

hares don't chew cud

All flying insects that walk on all fours are to be detestable to you. There are, however, some winged creatures that walk on all fours that you may eat: ... Of these you may eat any kind of locust, katydid, cricket, or grasshopper. (Leviticus 11:20-22)

There are no insects which have 4 legs. Grasshoppers have clearly 6 legs. Go out onto your lawn, catch one and count.

Matt 4:8: " Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them."

how is this possible unless the world is at least flat?

Have you ever read the bible? It's clearly no science book. That's fine, it's not supposed to be, but if you say it's always correct in science, that's easy to disprove. You don't even need modern science for it, you just need to open your eyes and really look at the world around you (e.g. count insect legs or look at the hooves of a camel)

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The story of Noah and the ark for one--google the "epic of gilgamesh" and find that the noah story is a plagarism of the "epic of gilgamesh" a sumerian epic written a thousand years before the abrahamic story. The ten plagues of egypt--the exodous--there is no archeological evidence whatsoever that this story is even remotely plausilbe. The egyptians were a highly literate culture--yet not one word anywhere is written about events so catastrophic. (the egptians left records of many things--they were highly literate. There is no phsyical evidence--burials of a large number of people for example all during the same week. In fact--the bible says the plagues killed all the cattle and all the horses--yet a chapter later tells how the pharohs horsemen and chariots were all drowned--were they riding dead horses). The story of the biblical hero who kept his arm outstreched and stopped the sun in the sky--well--simple phsyics tells us that if that occurred the earth stopped rotating and everyone flew off at 25,000 miles an hour--where is all the debris in space from this event? There is not a shred of historical evidence (first person from the first half of the first century) that Jesus ever existed. The Roman historian Pliney the Elder lived there--wrote volumes and volumes about the odd the strange the curious --miracles--crowds, trials, natural wonders--and yet he writes not a word about Jesus--the miracles--the supposed events at his death were so outrageous--for Pliney to not have written about it would be like the new york times failing to report the fall of the twin towers. All Plineys works survived to this day--and the argument that the Romans supressed this information doesn't wash-the Romans considered Jesus not to be a threat according to the bible--they handed him over to the Jews cause they couldn't find any wrongdoing on his part. Suppression occurred for a few years after the first century--when Nero was in power--during the life of the myth--no one cared enough about it to supress it. Obviously the Jesus myth was just more plagarism of the mithros and horace myths. I could go on and on with the holes in the holey book--but limited space--is this enough or do you require more?

• 1 decade ago

Too lmany .. Too many

Earth is flat in Math 4:8 " took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor.

Only on a flat earth can exist such a mountain where all eht kigndoms of the worlds can be seen.

------

Job 38:22, for example, says that snow and hail are kept in storehouses.

Snow and hails are not kept in storehouses

------

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Ok .... The world is flat :

Matthew 4:8

Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;

So which high mountain can see all the kingdoms of the world if the Earth is round? Unless the world is flat, or else this statement does not make sense. By the way, which mountain?

• 1 decade ago

I have never read the Bible and so can't take out any phrases. (Anyway I would NEVER have read the Bible, I would fall asleep right away seeing as it's a cure for people with insomnia...)

But by posting this question are you denying the evolution of mankind? Act not like the three proverbial monkeys.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I Kings 7:23-26

He made the Sea of cast metal, circular in shape, measuring ten cubits from rim to rim and five cubits high. It took a line of thirty cubits to measure around it. Below the rim, gourds encircled it - ten to a cubit. The gourds were cast in two rows in one piece with the Sea. The Sea stood on twelve bulls, three facing north, three facing west, three facing south and three facing east. The Sea rested on top of them, and their hindquarters were toward the center. It was a handbreadth in thickness, and its rim was like the rim of a cup, like a lily blossom. It held two thousand baths. (NIV)

For a circle it states that the ratio of the circumference to the diameter is 30:10 cubits.

pi = 3

Genesis 1

9 And God said, "Let the water under the sky be gathered to one place, and let dry ground appear." And it was so. 10 God called the dry ground "land," and the gathered waters he called "seas." And God saw that it was good.

11 Then God said, "Let the land produce vegetation: seed-bearing plants and trees on the land that bear fruit with seed in it, according to their various kinds." And it was so. 12 The land produced vegetation: plants bearing seed according to their kinds and trees bearing fruit with seed in it according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good. 13 And there was evening, and there was morning—the third day.

14 And God said, "Let there be lights in the expanse of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark seasons and days and years, 15 and let them be lights in the expanse of the sky to give light on the earth." And it was so. 16 God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars. 17 God set them in the expanse of the sky to give light on the earth, 18 to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness. And God saw that it was good. 19 And there was evening, and there was morning—the fourth day.

Plants existed before stars?

A bat is not a bird.

The list is huge.

Then there is where the Bible can't even agree with itself. Jesus for example has two wildly different genealogies.

or

The synoptic tradition has Jesus on the cross after the Passover while in John Jesus is crucified before the Passover.

• 1 decade ago

It has been shown that the New Testament has been horribly altered and edited over the centuries. See "Misquoting Jesus" by Bart Ehrman.

I can write a good story too:

Lo, and the Loch Ness Monster did arise, and spake to me, and I did listen, and heed his words. And he said to smite all those who dost doubt his existence, and to rain down upon them great brimstone and hellfire, and to sacrifice their first-born….

Rev. Neil

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.