Questions about Satanism!?

There doesn't need to be an answer to EVERY question, because I know it seems like a bit much. I am a very curious person. I hope that I don't sound condescending or offensive in any way.

I hope I can hear from as many people as possible!

- What is Satanism, and what are its main beliefs?

- What are the roles of Satan, God, and Jesus, and how are they related (if at all)?

- What is an angel, a saint, and a soul? How do humans fit in?

- What are your goals in human life? Do you have any control over your "destiny"?

- What happens after death? What is the difference between hell and heaven?

- What is your opinion on the Catholic view of sin?

- What are the main symbols of Satanism?

- What makes up the Satanist Bible? Is it meant to be taken literally, figuratively, or both?

- Who wrote the Satanist Bible?

- A brief history of Satanism?

- Is there anything else worth knowing?

If anyone wants to know why I am so curious, it is because my boyfriend is a Satanist. And while I am learning a lot from him, I would like to hear from more people about the religion.

Myself? I am a Catholic.

• Aravah

From a LaVey viewpoint - (relayed to me by a Satanic friend)

Satanism is actually humanism. The main beliefs are that children and animals are sacred and to be protected. Treat others as they treat you - if you hit a Satanist, he will hit back. There is no heaven or hell, no sin. There is no afterlife - take care of yourself, your family, your friends and then others if you wish.

LaVey Satanists use Satan as an archetype, role model as the bringer of knowledge and for pageantry and ritual. There are no angels, no saints, no soul. Humans are evolved animals, that's it. The goals are to live life to its fullest. Take responsibility and don't expect hand outs.

After death there is nothing.

Catholic/Christian view of sin is ridiculous, it's a way to control followers and make religion necessary and profitable.

Symbols: reversed pentagram, reversed pentagram with a goat's head inlaid in or on the pentagram.

1969 The Satanic Bible was written by Anton LaVey (you can read one on-line). It's meant to be taken how you would wish it to fit into your life. Each Santanists defines what is right for them. If you are happy doing charity work, do so. If not, don't do it just because someone says you "should."

Anton LaVey formed his own brand of Satanism in 1966, wrote the Satanic Bible in 1969 and things took off from there. He died in the late 1990s, the Church continues strongly.

=============================================

This was written by a friend of mine who is a theistic Satanist.

Satanism

Some believe the "Satan" was a name given to a much older god. The one that actually did create life. Xianity plagiarized much older religions, forced others to convert or die, then destroyed the evidence of the occult knowledge given to man by Satan, or Lucifer. This knowledge was to help mankind elevate themselves spiritually to the point of being gods themselves.

There are some Satanists who don't believe in any of sort of deity at all. They usually follow the works of Lavey and are basically atheistic in their belief system. They worship themselves as being gods already, and their motto is something akin to "do what though wilt, shall be the whole of the law". They also teach a healthy dose of responsibility to go along with their doctrine, pointing out that it is only favorable to be responsible to others who are responsible for themselves.

"Devil" worship is usually practiced by fools and posers, A handful of pissed off Xtians who don't know anything except what they've been taught by the bible, and because they don't like god anymore, choose to do the opposite of what the bible says. Real Satanists despise these types of people because they really give us a bad name.

We teach that we are Natural beings, and as such, should do what comes naturally.

We teach that all the seven deadly sins are falsehoods, as they all lead to mental, emotional, or physical gratification. I could explain this in detail if I have to.

We also teach responsibility, that we are responsible for our own lives.

We teach that animals and children are sacred, as they are Natural in the most complete sense as they have not been sullied by the likes of preconceptions or interference from humans in an animals case.

We teach to love completely they whom deserve our love, and to hate they who would wish us ill, for then love and hate won't become watered down, by trying to love everyone, even people that do rotten things.

We teach to learn all we can about our natural world, to learn history and symbolism, so that we can better connect to Nature.

We teach an understanding of all the forces of Nature, and how to balance those forces within ourselves.

We show that self-preservation is the highest law, as if you cannot preserve yourself, then how you can preserve anything?

And we show how to ritualize our emotions into magickal workings, to accomplish something that would otherwise be unchangeable, and to rid ourselves of emotions that if held in could destroy us.

We frown upon drug use, as that makes a person less effective as a magician and a human being in general.

I could write a book but not here.

Your friendly neighborhood Satanist:)

Courtesy of Phoenix M

(used with permission along with the link: http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-GY450_chc6m9woCEYAo...

Source(s): writer/researcher
  • The Church of Satan was created by Anton LaVey 1966. There are a few different forms of Satanism but I'll explain this one.

It's basically glorified hedonism. The main beliefs can be found here:

The Nine Satanic Statements: http://churchofsatan.com/Pages/NineStatements.html

the Eleven Satanic Rules of the Earth: http://churchofsatan.com/Pages/Eleven.html

and the Nine Satanic Sins: http://churchofsatan.com/Pages/Sins.html

Satanists are atheists. "Satan" is used as a concept, not a being (as outlined in the Satanic Statements). I found this quote on Wikipedia: "Satanism begins with atheism. We begin with the universe and say, 'It’s indifferent. There’s no God, there’s no Devil. No one cares!' ”—High Priest Peter H. Gilmore

Again, atheists. I'm not 100% sure but I don't think they believe in souls, etc.

Yes, you control everything, and the goal is to make yourself happy without harming anyone else (unless provoked). They also have this idea of "magic" but I don't know anything about that.

I don't know these next few.

Upside-down pentagram (opposite of Wicca).

Wikipedia says: "It is a collection of essays, observations and basic Satanic rituals, and outlines LaVey's Satanic ideology. The author claims the influence of Ragnar Redbeard and Ayn Rand among others.

The book contains the core principles of Satanism and is considered the foundation of the philosophy and dogma that constitute Satanism. LaVeyan Satanists maintain that The Satanic Bible may not be subject to interpretation or revision, and that no rule or principle contradictory to what is written in The Satanic Bible may be considered applicable to Satanism"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satanic_Bible

- Who wrote the Satanist Bible?

Anton LaVey

- A brief history of Satanism?

Created by Anton LaVey in 1969 in California and spread a bit today. It is not very common and mostly underground but it's still present.

- Is there anything else worth knowing?

If you look around the website, there's a LOT of resources. http://www.churchofsatan.com

The delight in the archtype of Satan as the rebel and accusar.

They are seen as mythological characters created by man on par with Zues or Shiva etc.

No angels. No saints. Souls are up to you depending on your metaphysical bent. Humans are seen as herd animals.

My goals are to live and be happy and healthy. I have complete control over my life and destiny.

To some, life is over. To those that also subscribe to the ToV, we have other theories we explore through research and personal experiments.

Inventions of the church to get money for indulgences.

The baphomet, the inverted pentagram, and the brimstone symbol although you can really use or add on any occulty symbols that work for you in your personal magic.

You would have to purchase it to get the entire content. It starts with a more structured approach to explaining the religion and then it moves into the ritual work and finishes up with the Enochian Keys that can be used for ritual work.

- Who wrote the Satanist Bible?

Anton LaVey.

- A brief history of Satanism?

Try wikipedia. Coined and started by Anton LaVey in the sixties San Francisco. Others claim to predate it but are just deist devil worshippers or pseudos.

- Is there anything else worth knowing?

There is much worth knowing. You can hit Barnes and Noble or Borders and check out the book in one of their comfy chairs with a cup of coffee if you are curious. My own boyfriend introduced me to Satanism over twenty years ago and I have always appreciated him for that.

Source(s): Witch, Church of Satan

Satanism is the worship of self, and the fulfillment of desire. There is also some ritual magick thrown in.

Satan, god, and Jesus do not figure in at all.

Most Satanists are atheists at heart, and do not believe in saints, souls, or angels.

Your goal is to maximize personal profit and pleasure.

The main symbol of Satanism is the Sigil of Baphomet

Satanic Bible is made up of life principles, and an explanation of the Satanic philosophy

Anton LaVey wrote the Satanic bible

Started in the sixties by LaVey

Source(s): *all answers written from LaVey standpoint*

There are two types of Satanists, generally. LaVeyan Satanists (Church of Satan) who are atheistic and theistic Satanists, who obviously worship Satan as a deity.

The LaVeyan ones are much more common, and do not believe in the Bible at all. Satan is a metaphor for indulgence and self-empowerment. They would say the primary sins are actually necessary to human life. (And they would be right.) It was started in Anton LaVey, I believe in the 1960s? Anyway, they have the Nine Satanic Sins of stupidness, pretentiousness, solipsism, self-deciet, conformity, lack of perspective, forgetfulness of past orthodoxies, counterproductive pride, and lack of aesthetics. They do not make claims of an after-life.

According to Wikipedia.com

The Satanic Bible was written by Anton LaVey in 1969. It is a collection of essays, observations and basic Satanic rituals, and outlines LaVey's Satanic ideology. The author claims the influence of Ragnar Redbeard and Ayn Rand among others.

The book contains the core principles of Satanism and is considered the foundation of the philosophy and dogma that constitute Satanism. LaVeyan Satanists maintain that The Satanic Bible may not be subject to interpretation or revision, and that no rule or principle contradictory to what is written in The Satanic Bible may be considered applicable to Satanism.

• Lucia

I have a question ~ since it is historical fact that the "devil" is a medieval invention of the church, why would you ally yourself with a fictional character whom predominant myth claims is destined to fail? Or are you the type of satanist that worships the self above all? If so, why not just be a Wiccan and leave the Satan part out of it?

• 1. satanism is the worship of lucifer and his studys.

2. lucifer is the angel who wanted more power, GOD is our creator and Jesus is his son our savior.

3. And angel is a soldier/ messenger of GOD, saint is a person who never commited a sin( we are all born with the sins of our fathers, there is no saints) and a soul is our being in heven/hell ( well thats what people interpet ) and humans are made the choice to go a choose between right and wrong GOD or imposters.

4.GOD made us with free will and yes you have controle over your destiny, either you give yourdself to god or you dont with means your on the path to eternal torture (hell)

5. Hell is eternal torture whil Heaven is A beautiful blissful life were there is no pain.

6.There is no preacher with the power to take our sins away by saying a few hail marys.

7. The Goat and The upside Down Star.

8.Its Ho You Interperate It.

9.Anton LaVey.

10. Satanism can refer to a number of belief systems depending on the user and context. Common use of the word generally refers to the worship of Satan as described in the Christian Bible or the practice of ritual magic. [1] However, by the actual adherents, the suffix -ism is used by some groups to suggest the definition as an act or practice,[clarify] as opposed to the oft-assumed definition as the doctrine or philosophy behind an act or practice.[2]

Generally, the word "Satanism" is used by scholars to describe several distinct spiritual practices and beliefs; the two most significant seem to be LaVeyan Satanism and Theistic Satanism. Ideas about Satan come from essentially these two sources.[2] It is often the practice of any given Satanist not to refer to themselves with a hyphenated prefix. Each "type" of Satanist will usually refer to themselves only as Satanists.

11. GOD is The Right Path.

Just Wright Me If You Want To Know More About GOD and Christianity.

Satan, God, and Jesus are non existent and to believe in them is like believing in Santa Clause.

they are mythological beings based on astrological movements

just like Greek, Egyptian and other deities in the past that nobody believes in anymore.

the main question to ask yourself is why are there no true records of any of the happenings in the bible and why is the earth dated back to being billions of years old if the bible is infallible all the time and the earth is 12,000 years old?

this is something important to know about satanism because it is the belief in something that is not there.

I have no clue. But from what I've heard, there are different types of satanism, but I think most of them are self-centered, focused on yourself as your only leader, stuff like that. I know that some of them don't even believe in Satan at all.