Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Can an atheist ever become a christian?

Religion is based upon faith, and atheism off fact and proof.

Because there is no direct evidence or proof behind the system of Christianity it seems that once you are atheist, there is no going back.

I'm agnostic but am getting more atheist and have realized that once you lose faith, you can't get it back!

I've seen many christians turn atheist and never become christian again. Because it is too hard to believe in something that you have been "proven" so to speak doesn't exist.

What does that mean in the christian point of view? Do you not see the dilemma that all these millions of people are going to go to hell whether they like it or not?

To put it into context, it's like trying to convince someone that santa clause is actually as real as the fairy tale. You wouldnt believe them right? It's very HARD to be convinced of something once you have begun to believe it isn't real.

"EVEN IF GOD IS REAL, how do i convince myself now that i am an atheist?"

Actually I've met several atheists who I call future theists because they based their lack of belief on as little as theists base their belief on.

While many atheists base their lack of belief on the fact that there is zero evidence for any deity there is nothing about being an atheist that implies someone 'must' think about the reason they don't believe.

in fact a good argument can be made that we're all born without theistic belief and are therefore all born atheists.

• Jim S

"...Because there is no direct evidence or proof behind the system of Christianity...." Hmmm, this is a very broad and unsubstantiated assertion. What do you define as evidence?

"Reason alone cannot prove the existence of God. Faith is reason plus revelation, and the revelation part requires one to think with the spirit as well as with the mind. You have to hear the music, not just read the notes on the page." - (Francis S. Collins, M.D., Ph.D. is the Director of the Human Genome Project - the consortium of scientists that mapped out the 3.1 billion letters of the human genome - and a former Atheist.)

"I now believe that the universe was brought into existence by an infinite Intelligence. I believe that this universe's intricate laws manifest what scientists have called the Mind of God. I believe that life and reproduction originate in a divine Source." - (Oxford Philosopher Antony Flew, who was a pioneer for modern atheism and one of the most widely published atheistic philosophers of the last 50 years)

There are many who think they are Christians, and then there are those who really belong to Christ.

You should know that becoming a real Christian has nothing to do with your decisions or any other thing within your power to do. It’s not a matter of weighing the evidence and making an informed choice. Jesus taught that he was the way, the truth, and the life, and that he was the only way to have eternal life. Then he said two times in John chapter 6 that no one has the ability to come to him unless the Father draws him.

Allow that to sink in for a moment.

Every man, woman, and child born into this world is a sinner. We are spiritually dead, and every single one of us deserves to go to Hell. But the Gospel or the good news is that God chose to save some. Every single person who has come to Christ has first had an actual encounter with God. It doesn’t matter if you are an agnostic or an atheist, in that one moment when God makes your spirit come alive you will believe, and you will “know” that Jesus is everything he said he was. The work is entirely up to God. He makes your spirit come alive, He draws you to his Son, he gives you the faith to believe, and He also keeps you. Isn't that wonderful news?

It happens all the time. Essentially, they find proof in the form of a religious or conversion experience. Conversely, a Christian can become an atheist if they cease to have religious experiences and lose their faith. In any case, I have been a church-goer for two decades, and if I had a dollar for every Christian I have met that used to be an atheist, I would be a rich man. But you are right. It is very difficult to convince someone. They have to experience God for themselves to believe, or have a bad experience to cease believing.

As far as hell is concerned, I am a Christian, and I don't personally believe in hell. It seems to me that hell is just a metaphor for the consequences of life. You make bad decisions, and bad things happen to you. Common sense. So there is no dilemma there from my point-of-view. For that matter, from my perspective, to NOT believe in God would be like you trying to convince me that the sun does not exist. I experience it every day. In the end, though, I freely admit that it is a matter of perspective and experience. You can't make someone believe or disbelieve. If God exists, it is between the individual and God. If God does not exist, it is just between the individual and the self.

Great question!

It would probably be hard for an athiest to become a christian because everything they were once against they have to put their faith in. To become a christian again you have to forget the facts and trust. Most athiests believe that the afterlife is like being unconscious. You don't think, you don't feel pain, you don't feel emotions, and most of all you don't love. I feel that would ALMOST be worse than hell. In hell you feel the pain, you know you did wrong, you know theres no turning back now. But in heaven, it'll be wonderful! I can't say but i know- because I put my trust in him, my faith, my life. Besides that what is the point of being athiest? Being a no it all- " HA I know your god isn't real because there isn't proof!". Once your dead are you going to remember saying that to people or even caring? And one more thing don't convince yourself your an atheist because if you really want to go to heaven then you could turn christian and saying your an atheist would be like just throwing youself to hell. Don't go down without a fight-it's your life.

All humans have an inborn sense that there is a God. They may deny it and suppress it, but it is there. I believe that you feel this and that is why you are asking (whether you think of it that way or not).

"In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth" (Gen. 1:1). The Bible is not a textbook that attempts to prove the existence of God - the Bible opens with a positive fact that God does exist. It did not occur to any other writer of the Bible to prove this fact.

As for people who used to be Christians then became atheist. No they were not. They simply deceived themselves for awhile then they realized they were not.

If you would like to talk further on this subject you can email me.

It happens all the time. The more the clergy actually learn about their religions, the more they realize that they are false. But, by that time, they have devoted their lives to it and cannot do much else. Besides, they are only telling people what they want to hear and being paid for it. And, of course, let's not forget all those who specifically choose to become clergy in order to deceive, manipulate, and exploit others - they can be atheists, too. I understand the arguments for Christianity as presented by apologists. I also understand why their reasoning is fallacious - and, I suspect they do, too, as it has been explained to them countless times.

My experience has been the same. It's like in the Wizard of Oz. Once Dorothy and the others have seen the man behind the curtain pulling the levers and speaking into the microphone (just as the Oracle at Delphi and other ancient temples used to speak into pipes) they can never go back to being awed by the illusion.

There is plenty of proof, for instance the bible, but an atheist can become a Christian again, most Christians who become atheists are like that because they have had something bad happen to them, also I think that religion is something to lean upon, that in the grand scheme of things everything will be okay. I find comfort in religion all the time, for instance, when my friend died of cancer, I was sad for a while until I realized that she is living in eternal paradise, and does not have cancer while she is in heaven.

God created us all because he wanted some thing that he could love. Lucifer got the big head and wanted to be as great as God. When he rose up and tried to take over he influenced one third of the angels to follow him. The devil was his new name and he is here to tempt us. The reason God had such a creature descend to earth is fairly simple. If you an inheritance to give away who would you give it to? Someone who is loyal to you or someone who bucks against your every rule? Look at the process as weeding out the weak.

God tests our faith and satan temps us. If that had not happened in the Garden of Eden we would not have free will. If we did not have free will we would not be able to make choices in life. God loves us so much that he allowed Eve to "eat us out of house and home" and give us our freedom. Where you spend eternity is based upon our choices in life.

God cannot lie, fail or eliminate your free will. It is up to you to believe in God and if you don't he will not force the issue. If you can find a bible read Psalm 53:1. Have you ever heard of the atheist holiday???

Shalom