Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 decade ago

My one headlight beam is very dim, what could have caused it?

I have a volvo 88, runs really well, but one headlight beam is really dim. I thought its the bulb and replaced it with Silvia silverstar. And there is no difference. Please can anybody tell me what else could be the reason.

• Ry Guy

since it seems to be just one of them, it could be the wiring going to the head lamp assembly. I would remove the whole assembly and check it out....

Check the ground connection (wire) associated with that dim headlight. THe ground wire may be fairly close to the head lamp unit goign to some part of the body like the inside of the fender.

Eric

• Bill

Probably the bulb, make sure the one you replace it with is the proper one for your Volvo. Also, clean any film off the lens.

The lens seem to buildup a film over time that will reduce the effectiveness of the light.

• Sounds like a bad ground to that light. See if there are any loose ground wires in the same proximity as the dim bulb.

• Rudy H

On older cars, it's usually a dirty or corroded ground connection. Try cleaning the connector LIGHTLY with an abrasive.

• Andy

Check for corrosion in the plug.If you have a voltmeter test the voltage at the plug.