Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAsia PacificMalaysia · 1 decade ago

What's atapchi called in English or other languages?

Hi, I've been trying to describe a certain ingredient called "atapchi" to someone who is rather westernized and never really tasted local dishes despite being a Malaysian.

Atapchi/attapci - looks like jelly but it's hard with a certain crunchy jelly like texture. Usually found in desserts especially like shaved ice/or ice kacang.

I was wondering what are the other names for it. I've heard it's from Sabah and seen the plant before. Very unique =).

=) Btw. when's the first time you've eaten ice kacang and where's the BEST you've ever tasted.

It is call pine-seed.

The best ice kacang is in Penang,

at the Komtar food court.

The Penang Road Famous Teochew Chendol & Ice Kacang.

Well, atapchi is very common in North Peninsula Malaysia.My mum always buys it to pay respect to the shrine of my house.

If it is not invented by Westerners, it has no English name.I am Hokkien,so I call it atapchi.The above answer can be deemed correct too.

Source(s): From North Peninsula Malaysia,Hokkien and Teo Chew communities

Is it acai berry?

I believe it is called nypa fruit and related to the sugar palm fruit or ice-apple.

Atap-Chee..... hehe..

Source(s): i dont know :p