Bacon-Wrapped Meat Loaf with Brown Sugar - Ketchup Glaze
If you like, you can omit the bacon topping from the loaf. In this case, brush on half the glaze before baking and the other half during the last fifteen minutes of baking. Serves 6 to 8
Brown Sugar - Ketchup Glaze
1/2 cup ketchup or chili sauce
4 Tbsp.s brown sugar
4 Tbsp.s cider vinegar or white vinegar
2 tsp. vegetable oil
1 medium onion , chopped medium
2 medium cloves of garlic , minced
2 large eggs
½ tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. table salt
½ tsp. ground black pepper
2 tsp. Dijon mustard
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp. hot pepper sauce
½ cup whole milk or plain yogurt
1 pound ground chuck
½ pound ground pork
½ pound ground veal
2/3 cup Saltine crackers , crushed (about 16), or quick oatmeal, or 1 1/3 cups fresh bread crumbs
1/3 cup fresh parsley leaf , minced
8-12 slices bacon
1. For the glaze: Mix all ingredients in small saucepan; set aside.
2. For the meat loaf: Heat oven to 350 degrees. Heat oil in medium skillet. Add onion and garlic; sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool while preparing remaining ingredients.
3. Mix eggs with thyme, salt, pepper, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, pepper sauce, and milk or yogurt. Add egg mixture to meat in large bowl along with crackers, parsley, and cooked onion and garlic; mix with fork until evenly blended and meat mixture does not stick to bowl. (If mixture sticks, add additional milk or yogurt, a couple Tbsp.s at a time until mix no longer sticks.)
4. Turn meat mixture onto work surface. With wet hands, pat mixture into approximately 9-by-5-inch loaf shape. Place on foil-lined (for easy cleanup) shallow baking pan. Brush with half the glaze, then arrange bacon slices, crosswise, over loaf, overlapping slightly and tucking only bacon tip ends under loaf .
5. Bake loaf until bacon is crisp and loaf registers 160 degrees, about 1 hour. Cool at least 20 minutes. Simmer remaining glaze over medium heat until thickened slightly. Slice meat loaf and serve with extra glaze passed separately.
--Cooks Illustrated, Sept.1996
Mama's Cheesy Meatloaf
1 lb. ground chuck
1 egg, beaten
2 tbls. worcestershire sauce
1 cup ketchup
1/2 tsp. onion salt
3/4 stack Town House Crackers, crushed
2 cups grated cheese (I like sharp)
Mix all ingredients, except cheese. Press meat out onto plastic wrap about 1/2 inch thick. Sprinkle cheese over meat evenly. Roll up the meatloaf, jelly roll style. Tuck in the ends, and secure with LOTS of toothpicks. Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 min.
¼ cup mustard
¼ cup brown sugar
Combine, and heat thoroughly. About 15 min. or 20 min. before meatloaf is done, pour on some of the sauce, and finish baking. Keep the rest to pour onto the meatloaf slices at the table.
(CAMPBELL'S) BEST-EVER MEAT LOAF
1 can Campbell's condensed Golden Mushroom Soup, divided (not as good w/ plain mushroom soup)
2 lbs ground chuck
1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs
1 egg, beaten
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/3 cup water
In large bowl, thoroughly mix 1/2 cup of the soup, the beef, bread crumbs, egg, onion & Worcestershire. In 12 x 8" baking pan, firmly shape meat into 8 x 4" loaf.
Bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/4 hours or until done. Remove meat loaf to platter, keep warm.
Spoon off all but 3 tbsp. drippings from pan. Stir remaining soup & the water into drippings in pan, scraping up brown bits from bottom. Over medium heat, heat soup mixture until hot, stirring constantly Serve gravy with meat loaf.
Makes 8 servings.