Need meal ideas for Grandma (freeze and reheat)?

Ok so Grandma is getting very tired and has commented that she's usually too tired to eat by the time she cooks any food, I'm 2 1/2 hours away so I can't be there every night to cook her dinner so I thought I would start making single serve meals that I can cook and freeze then once every 2-4 weeks come down with a cooler full of meals she can just heat and eat - she's very tight on money so I'd say she could just buy frozen dinners but I'd rather prepare healthier meals that don't cost her anything to help out so I'd greatly appreciate any sites with ideas or just recipes would be great too!

• Blank

The smart way for you to go about this is to web search OAMC cooking or Once-a-month cooking recipes.

You can pretty much freeze whatever you want from meatloaf and mashed potatoes to lasagna.

recipeezaar.com has a forum devoted to this subject. Warning...cooking ahead gets addictive because it makes your life a whole lot easier.

I don't do the once-a-month cooking but I do a lot of double batch cooking. For example: make two meatloaves...one for tonight one for next week. Make a huge batch of spaghetti sauce. You serve one and freeze two containers of sauce. Cook a huge batch of rice. Serve one and freeze two. You get the idea I'm sure.

You can of course freeze meals in one or two serving portions. Your grandmother is so lucky to have you.

My mom taught me how to make this really easy no-bake chicken casserole.

Ingredients

-any kind of pasta (i usually use bowtie 'cause it's my favorite, but any kind you have in the cabinet will work)

-1 can of cream of mushroom soup

-1 large can of chicken breast, drained (you can find it in the tuna section, I try and always get all white meat chicken breast)

-about a cup or so (more or less, depending on how much you want) of mixed frozen veggies- carrots, peas, corn, etc.

-shredded cheddar cheese

Start by cooking your pasta. Cook it so it's al dente, with a little bite to it (it'll cook more later when you put everything together).

While your pasta is cooking, you can warm your mixed veggies in a bowl in the microwave, with just enough water to cover them. Just cook them enough so that they're warmed all the way.

Once your veggies and pasta are cooked, drain them and put them into your casserole dish. Next, put the soup and drained chicken in the dish with the veggies and pasta. Mix it all together. If the mixture is thick you can add a little milk to thin it a little.

After all your ingredients are mixed well, spread it evenly in the dish and sprinkle the grated cheese on the top. Use however much or little you want.

Next, cover your casserole dish with plastic wrap and seal it and stick it into the microwave for about 4 minutes. Warm it long enough to melt all of the cheese. If it requires longer heating, warm it in 2 minute intervals.

Caution: exercise caution when opening the plastic wrap, because very hot steam will come out when you open it.

One thing I sometimes add to the casserole is Italian seasoned breadcrumbs. I just sprinkle a little all over the casserole before putting on the cheese.

This casserole gets better the longer you let it sit. My boyfriend often says he likes it even better the next day.

This freezes very well. Just wait until the casserole is completely cooled and cut it up into meal sized sections and pop them into freezer bags or plastic containers. When you reheat them they will taste just as good as fresh.

I would say you can freeze pretty much anything in the frozen food dinners aisle. So walk down that aisle the next time youre at the grocery to get ideas. Pastas are the easiest and best, imo. But when cooking for yourself, make extra and just freeze her a plate. I do it for my bf for his lunches. He loves em! And they are waaaay cheaper and healthier.

Thats raelly nice of you to do for grams!

• Karyn

Just any time you cook supper, fix her a plate & put it in the freezer. Make some vege soup or stew to freeze & cornbread. Hamburgers freeze good too. She would much rather have something you bring. Casseroles, spaghetti, pie, cake, cookies, vege casseroles, stuffed or twiced baked potatoes, stuffed bell peppers, chicken & cornbread dressing. If she doesn't have any stomach or diabetes problems then you have it made. I love it when I have small containers of different soups (taco soup is good) or red beans & white beans or pinto's in the freezer. Rice freezes too. I did Home Health for 15 years & believe me, she would much rather have something home made.

not sure what your budget is but if you did dream dinners and split the dinners between you and her, that would work out perfect. They have all the food ready for you to put together, you pick off a menu and they provide the packaging, all you do is freeze and when you want that meal you just follow the instructions, you can separate by portion size. check out the website

dreamdinners.com

I did the same for my mother. Suprisingly a lot of stuff freezes well, especially if you eat it within a month or so. I've frozen:

mac and cheese

macaroni casserole (hamburger and tomato sauce

spaghetti

rice with sweet and sour meatballs

meatloaf and mashed potatoes

shepherds pie

Quiche

Lasagne (any pasta in mostly any sauce freezes well).

Turkey dinner

any stew, beef, chicken even with the potatoes.

soup or pasta. they freeze well. or you can try meals to go or this site. they deliver meals http://www.personalcheftogo.com/

plus there are other sites that deliver meals. Another option is if you are near a Trader Joes, they have alot of good stuff already cooked. you just heat and eat. And the food is good.

Make a big batch of spaghetti sauce and a big batch of noodles. Then seal a meal or zip lock them into serving-size portions and grandmother can have a spaghetti dinner ocassionally. Beans also freeze well. You could make bean soup and she could just thaw it out. That is nice of you to watch over your grandmother. God bless you.

You can freeze just about anything into one person servings. Have you considered Meals on Wheels? What about store bought single serving entrees? They are all under 3.00. ( Pot pies, Marie Callendar entrees, TV dinners , etc.)

Fish Pockets. (variation: chicken)

Boneless Fish Fillets.

Variety of sliced vegetables (i.e. potatoes, peppers, tomatoes, onions)

1 ft. sheet of aluminium foil

Step 1: Coat a 1 foot sheet of aluminium foil with olive oil.

Step 2: Place Fish fillets at centre of foil.

Step 3: Surround fish fillets with vegetables (add desired spices if desired).

Step 4: Form an aluminium pocket by crimping edges and folding ends over to seal the pocket.

Step 5: Place pocket on barbeque grill at medium to low heat for 30 minutes.

Step 6: Remove from grill, opening pocket carefully to allow steam to escape.

Step 7: May be eaten from pocket or served on dish.

Alternatively they could be baked in the oven.

Mince & Vegetable Casserole.

(by Dune 23/4/08)

500gm Minced Beef. (pork etc)

2 Medium onions, chopped

2 Cloves Garlic, crushed (optional)

2 Medium carrots, chopped

2C Peas.

2C Corn.

Tomato sauce or paste

Worcestershire sauce.

Salt & Pepper.

Fry off the mince onions and garlic.

Transfer to a casserole dish.

Add veggies, sauces and seasonings and combine.

Pour in some stock, or water and stock cubes.

Cook in a 165C oven for 30 - 45 minutes.

Thicken with a little flour and water and return for 5 - 10 minutes.

Serve with mashed potatoes.

Some curry or chilli powder could be used.

Place into pie dishes or oven bowls and spread the mash on top. (could be nuked)

Pasta:- Seafood

6 T. soy sauce, divided (with extra available)

6 T. olive oil, divided (with extra available)

8 oz. imitation crab meat, in bite size pieces

1 large sweet onion, slice into rings

8 oz. Elbow pasta, cooked & drained

In skillet, sauté onion rings in 3 T. olive oil. Sprinkle on 3 T. soy sauce. Cover and sauté over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add imitation crab. Sprinkle on another 3 T. soy sauce and 3T. olive oil. Do not let pan go dry. It should be juicy. Let simmer for 15 minutes or until onions are caramelized and crab is nicely browned and crisp along edges. Toss with hot pasta. Serve.

I like to serve it with a salad and garlic bread.

Any kind of fried rice meal.

If you are still stuck for ideas look at what is on offer in the freezers and copy them at home.

Think of those old TV dinners, a dollop of mashed spud, a few slices of beef with some gravy and some green peas.

Each night you cook a meal, dish out one for mum and freeze.

Edit Grandmum