Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

How is Satanism fundamentally different from Wicca?

I read an answer in a recent question that has me a little bit confused on the answer.

Someone described the difference as Wicca being Christianized RHP magic defined by Christian principles.

It seemed like she was saying, it was Paganism, twisted and redefined by the Christians or something.

In the answer, it said that Satanism was true Paganism.

I am confused.

Only answer if your a Pagan. Expect if your a Christian I am going to ignore whatever you have

to say because I am Pagan and really dont care.

Yes, was going to say, I hope you realise I am not citing my personal beliefs. The question was, is this person who stated these things about Satanism & Wicca right.

I didn't think it was.

But perhaps what would help, is learning a little bit more about both of these things. Its vastly more complicated then I realised.

• Abriel

Whoever said that was an uneducated moron who knows nothing about either religion.

Wicca is a modern Neo-Pagan religion founded back in the 1950s. The adherents worship a God and a Goddess and observe the cycles of the seasons through celebrations of the Sabbats (8 points on the Wheel of the Year that mark solar festivals) and Esbats (lunar celebrations monthly). The only principal that I know of that they follow is the Rede: "An it harm none, do what thou wilt" which basically says that any action that does not cause another individual harm is acceptible. Some also believe in the 3 fold law but not all of them.

Satanism is divided into two paths, both tracing their lineage back into the 20th century. Anton LaVey founded the Church of Satan and wrote "The Satanic Bible" back in the 1960s. His religion is atheistic in dogma, preaching that the highest god is oneself and indulgence and pursuit of pleasure is the highest ideal. About the 1970s or so some members split from the Church to find the Temple of Set and Theistic Satanism, which does actually worship a being they call Satan, although they call themselves Setians. Not all Theistic Satanists do. Either way both paths were formed as largely reactionary paths to Christianity.

Wicca, however, though some of it is bastardized from Golden Dawn style Kabbalah practices is mostly based on teachings from much, much older Pagan paths. Christianity had nothing to do with it.

I can't say I'm surprised though. There is a lot of anti-Wiccan and anti-Neopagan sentiment prevalent among the Satanic crowd. It's one reason I left...I couldn't get down with the bashing of other paths.

But still quoting false history and clearly false information is just wrong. If you're going to say crap about something get some education first so you know what you're talking about.

ETA: Just realized you might think those last sentences are directed at you. They're not, they're directed at the poster of whom you speak.

You do need to take everything here with a large grain of salt. There are, unfortunately, a lot of people who do not know what they are talking about. I can certainly understand why you were confused by all that.

Wicca is a modern polytheistic religion generally (but not always) honoring historical pagan deities. Satan has nothing to do with it. Wiccans do not even believe in Satan.

Wicca was also influenced by magical organizations like the Golden Dawn, which in turn were influenced by Christian-based magical beliefs, but the specifically Christian bits were not the bits borrowed. Wicca has no angels and doesn't work in Hebrew or Latin, for example.

Paganism is not a specific belief. The term refers to anything not Judeo-Christian. So there's really no such thing as "true Paganism."

Honestly, I'm not sure how to explain how Satanism and Wicca are fundamentally different. They are totally different religions. It's like asking how Shinto and Catholicism are fundamentally different.

Well, the two are very different indeed. Wicca emphasizes harmony and balance. Satanism emphasizes spiritual self-liberation. There are different versions of Wicca, so when I answer this, it is not complete by any means. Wicca deeply appreciates nature. Beliefs are pre-christian. Wicca does not believe we own the earth but are a just a part of it instead. (Actually they are not alone in that thinking) Wicca is a spiritual system that affirms the divinity of all living things. There is emphasis on the cycles of nature and the lunar phases. Goddess and God exist in all things.

As for Satanism, here is a website that will give you some insight. Satanism is not what most people think it is. http://www.theisticsatanism.com/bgoat/essays/What-...

They do not both practice witchcraft--witchcraft is a non-religious practice that some people of any faith choose to or not to practice. Not all Wiccans are witches, and neither are Satanists, the two do not go hand in hand. Not all Wiccans or Satanists practice spellcraft. What's different? Have you researched them? Let's see...In Wicca we worship the God/s and the Goddess/es, celebrate the wheel of the year, abide by the Rede (An' it harm none, do what ye will), and learn to live at peace with ourselves and the world around us. Some Satanists worship Satan, and another branch is Atheistic. Wicca and Satanism are hardly alike in any way, shape, or form. Where do you watch the two, on T.V.?

I do know that Wicca and Satanism are different, not just fundamentally, but completelly. Wicca is a modern take on Witchcraft started by Gerald Gardner, but not all Witches are Wiccan, though they may ascribe to simmilar beliefs like say the Wiccan Rede, the Three Fold Law. Suffice to say fundamentally the two are different in that Wicca is a nature based religion, where as Satanism is not. Satamism tends to be the opposite in the Christian faith, it is like yen and yang, good and evil........It stems from the Judeo-Christian faith.

that is my observance, though it may not be completelly accurate since I am neither a Wiccan or a Satanist, however I am a Witch..so I would deffinatlly say that Wicca and Witchcraft or simmilar say sisters, but they are not the same. sorry for the over kill here at the end.

Goddess Bless.

Blessed Be.

Well let's assume your speaking LeVeyan Satanism. I really hate to burst people's bubble.....but their atheist. They are just atheist....with flair. It's more a philosophy then a religion.

Theistic Satanist are very rare. They believe that Satan of the Bible is not the true Satan and that Satan got a bad rap. I personally don't understand where they get this theory, as Ha-Satan is the "original" who is an angel of God. While yes Christianity demonized him, he was never a god. Lucifer was a Babylonian prince, also not a god. Where the idea that Lucifer was Satan came from is Dante's Inferno. I digress. Anyways, that is what they believe.

Wicca obviously doesn't believe in Satan in any form. They believe in balance yes, but there is not pure good or pure evil, from what I understand. (Understand I am also not Wiccan and I'm sure our Wiccan gave you great answers)

There is no "devil" in any pagan culture I have studied and I have studied two and read randomly about many. There is an adversary, yes, but that does not mean evil. The two words are not synonymous. I truely wish that Christians, and indeed anyone, who wished to critisize ANY religion takes the time to actually study the bloody thing first instead of swallowing thier preacher/leader/some random person's opinion and calling it their own.

The last time that happened we had the damn Dark Ages.

Source(s): Norse Heathen

There are basically two schools of thought regarding "Satanism" and "luciferism".

Satanism is the radical version that takes luciferic ideas and drives them to such axtremes that the luciferians (ie. Masons, Wicca, etc. etc.) look at them with disgust. For example, it is a luciferic ideal that you be self-controlled and use the mind to think outside the box, but Satanists many times take this way to far and say "I am a

God" and MEAN IT.

Wicca is cool stuff. I like the Rede a lot. A lot of really wise witches.

• I didn't see the question you are referencing but I'll give it a shot.

Some of the rituals that Gardner published use Christian symbols and concepts. These were adopted in some places from Christian magical traditions taken from Jewish mystical traditions. Many Wiccans recognize that this symbology is inappropriate and no longer use it.

As far as Christian ethics - impossible, Wicca demands that a person take responsibility for their own actions and paying for and atoning for their own mistakes - a complete contradiction to the sin/savior concept that is the foundation of Christianity.

As far as Satanism, theistic Satanism *is* a form of paganism, truly, but it is *not* the only form of paganism.

Theistic Satanists believe that their God is the true creator and Christians have a real case of sour grapes. So, indeed, they are true pagans.

Source(s): Wiccan for 20+ years

Satan is a christian creation; he did not even exist as evil incarnate in the old testament. There, he was only an adversary of mankind as described in Job. Satan is not a wiccan demi-urge or fallen angel or god or anything. Wiccans worship the old gods of the Greco-Roman, Egyptian, Mesopotamian, African, Norse, or Celtic pantheons. Associations of witchcraft with Satan can readily be attributed to christian inquisitors and torturers. If someone worships Satan, they must be christians to believe in him and they must be messed up to worship the antithesis of their religion. Wiccans do not believe in or worship Satan. Wiccans do not appreciate the association of their deities or their faith with some christian bad boy!

Satanism is atheistic, Wicca is polytheistic.

How could they be more different?