Jehovah's Witnesses: How do you explain Ecclesiastes 9:6 ?

Ecc 9:6 "Their love, their hate

and their jealousy have long since vanished;

never again will they have a part

in anything that happens under the sun."

verse 6 says NEVER AGAIN WILL THEY HAVE PART IN ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS UNDER THE SUN.

I thought the righteous will rise and have eternal life on this earth. Ecc 9:6 seems to contradict your belief that the righteous will live forever on this earth. THE EARTH IS UNDER THE SUN.

Update:

Yes the Bible says there will be a new earth not a restored earth. If I said I am getting a new pair of shoes, does that mean I am going to just restore my old ones? No, it means I am getting a new pair.

23 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

d. Ecclesiastes sometimes speaks of death as nothingness (i.e., Ecc. 9:5), but this is because Ecclesiastes is written from the perspective of the man “under the sun” (Ecc. 1:3, 9, 14, etc), the perspective of man looking at life the way it appears apart from divine revelation. To the natural man who does not have the revelation of the Scriptures, death appears to be the end of things. But other portions of the Bible tell us that this is not the case. Even the book of Ecclesiastes itself, in its conclusion, says that death is a journey (Ecc. 12:7).

• 4 years ago

It is important that everyone understands that "new light" which a phrase that is only used a very few times, is not about adding to the scriptures. It means that we realize that something that we might have been doing that was unscriptural, we are no longer doing. There was a time when we celebrated holidays that had a pagan basis. We don't do that any more. There was a time when we called those who take the lead in the congregation by a title, like Pastor. We don't do that anymore, after thinking and meditating about scriptures that say that we shouldn't. We once thought that 1914 was going to bring the end of this system of things. We don't anymore., although it is still clear that it is a scripturally marked year. Most of the changes are not major. We believe that the Bible is the Word of God, and that Jesus Christ is the only begotten first born son of Jehovah. We never believed that any book that we or anyone else has written beyond the scriptures is direct revelation from God, not any more. If we establish something, it is to bring us closer to the earliest most accurate manuscripts of the Bible - NEVER because some human in our day said that God told him that this or that is true. So when people say that we do, they are not telling the truth. It has been this way in our literature and throughout the decades that I have been dedicated to Jehovah

• Yes, as another here said, you are twisting the scriptures. Also, Ecclesiastes 9:6 is not the only verse in the Bible. It has to be understood in conjunction with the whole Bible.

And what was that screed by a poster against the NWT? Ecclesiastes 9:6 reads about the same in any version.

Jehovah's Witnesses' beliefs about life after death were published long before the NWT was made, and they have not changed since the 1870s, when we were using the KING JAMES VERSION.

People, if you are trying to appear intelligent, at least get your facts straight....

Source(s): The HOLY Bible
  • Frank
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

I'm not a Jehovah's witness, far from it, but one thing I do agree with them over is that scripture makes it clear that there will be a new Heaven and a New Earth. The bible is not speaking of this one lit by the sun.

In the book of Revelation Chapter 21 verse 23 reads "And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof. "

This is what verses 1 and 2 say "And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea. And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband".

You will find these verses in any version of the bible you care to pick up, they are not just in the one used by J.W.s

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Well, there's nothing wrong with this earth, why would Jehovah destroy it? Or do you doubt His ability to restore the damage done over the last few hundred years? What of his promises?

Gen. 8: 21 And Jehovah began to smell a restful odor, and so Jehovah said in his heart: “Never again shall I call down evil upon the ground on man’s account, because the inclination of the heart of man is bad from his youth up; and never again shall I deal every living thing a blow just as I have done. 22 For all the days the earth continues, seed sowing and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night, will never cease.”

Isa. 45:18: “This is what Jehovah has said, the Creator of the heavens, He the true God, the Former of the earth and the Maker of it, He the One who firmly established it, who did not create it simply for nothing, who formed it even to be inhabited: ‘I am Jehovah, and there is no one else.’”

Prov. 2:21, 22, KJ: “The upright shall dwell in the land [“on earth,” NE], and the perfect [“blameless men,” NE] shall remain in it. But the wicked shall be cut off from the earth, and the transgressors shall be rooted out of it.” (Notice that it does not say the blameless will return to the earth but that they “shall remain in it.”)

Matt. 6:10: “Let your kingdom come. Let your will take place, as in heaven, also upon earth.”

Ps. 37:29: “The righteous themselves will possess the earth, and they will reside forever upon it.”

So, with just those few verses anyone can see that God promises this earth will stand, so, since we know that the Bible does not contradict itself, the phrase "new heaven and a new earth" must mean something NOT literal. Any reasonable person would agree.

If these texts (2 Peter 3:7, 10 and Revelation 21:1) mean that the literal planet Earth is to be consumed by fire, then the literal heavens (the stars and other heavenly bodies) are also to be destroyed by fire. Such a literal view, however, conflicts with the assurance contained in such texts as Matthew 6:10, Psalm 37:29 and 104:5, also Proverbs 2:21, 22. Furthermore, what effect would fire have on the already intensely hot sun and stars? So the term “earth” in the above-quoted texts must be understood in a different sense.

At Genesis 11:1, First Kings 2:1, 2, First Chronicles 16:31, Psalm 96:1, etc., the term “earth” is used in a figurative sense, referring to mankind, to human society. Might that be the case at 2 Peter 3:7, 10 and Revelation 21:1?

Note that, in the context, at 2 Peter 3:5, 6 (also 2:5, 9), a parallel is drawn with the Flood of Noah’s day, in which wicked human society was destroyed, but Noah and his household, as well as the globe itself, were preserved. Likewise, at 2 Peter 3:7 it says that the ones to be destroyed are “ungodly men.” The view that “the earth” here refers to wicked human society fully agrees with the rest of the Bible, as is illustrated by the texts cited above. It is that symbolic “earth,” or wicked human society, that is “discovered”; that is, Jehovah will sear away as by fire all disguise, exposing the wickedness of ungodly human society and showing it to be worthy of complete destruction. That wicked society of humans is also “the first earth,” referred to at Revelation 21:1 (KJ).

Consistently, Jesus’ expression at Luke 21:33 (“heaven and earth will pass away, but . . . ”) must be understood in the light of the parallel statement at Luke 16:17 (“it is easier for heaven and earth to pass away than . . . ”), both of which simply emphasize the impossibility of the situations presented.—See also Matthew 5:18.

See, that's really fairly easy to grasp, isn't it? Also, it harmonizes with the rest of Scripture and with Gods purposes.

• THA
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

--THE negative qualities of hate etc. are those that will be brought to their finish , with the meek practicing good and the righteous, living for ever!

Ecclesiastes 9:6(NIV)

6 Their love, their hate

and their jealousy have long since vanished;

never again will they have a part

in anything that happens under the sun

(Psalm 1:6) “ 6 For Jehovah is taking knowledge of the way of righteous ones, But the very way of wicked ones will perish.”

So the negative qualities are what Christ as our heavenly king & high priest will be taking care of the maintainance needed to rid us of our negative qualities!

(Revelation 20:6) “6 Happy and holy is anyone having part in the first resurrection; over these the second death has no authority, but they will be priests of God and of the Christ, and will rule as kings with him for the thousand years.”

--So those with the heavenly hope along with Christ will bring a healing to the meek who inherit the earth, during his 1,000 year rule

• 1 decade ago

I am Catholic/Christian and after reading from the beginning of Ecc 9, I thought v6 refers to people who have already died, meaning they have no further life here on earth, under the sun. No more chances for those who are evil to become good and secure their place in heaven.

I am not familiar with JW interpretation of that verse or how it reads differently in their Bible. Do you have that info? I am curious...

Source(s): Here is Ecc 9:5 from The Holy Bible, Today's New International Version (TNIV): "For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing; they have no further reward, and even their name is forgotten."
  • 1 decade ago

I am not a Jehovah Witnss but can answer that. When the rightous come and live with God on the NEW EARTH called the "new Jeruselem" THERE WILL BE NO SUN.

Revelation 21:23

And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof.

Source(s): the bible
  • papa G
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Ecclesiastes 9:6...Also, their love and their hate and their jealousy have already perished, and they have no portion anymore to time indefinite in anything that has to be done under the sun.

6 Whatever they did in their lifetime—loving, hating, envying—is all long gone. They no longer play a part in anything here on earth. (New Living Translation)

6Indeed their love, their hate and their zeal have already perished, and they will no longer have a (A)share in all that is done under the sun. (New American Standard Bible)

6Their love also, their hatred also, their envy also, hath already perished, and they have no more a portion to the age in all that hath been done under the sun. (Young's Literal Translation)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I am not a Jehovah's witness, but I do know that Peter 3:13, says, "Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and A NEW EARTH, wherein dwelleth righteousness". It is not for mortal man to say, where God's children will spend eternity. Can you explain this "new earth" which Peter says, we look for? Rev 21:23, says there will be no more need for the sun or moon to shine in it, but it doesn't say there will be no more earth? God will be the light of it.

It seem to me that "new" means a completely different earth, but I can not say for certain. God's word plainly says that we ONLY see IN PART, as through a glass darkly, and I for one think the Jehovah witness have this "part", but why do we point fingers at one another and condemn one another? Look who Paul addressed 1st Corinthians to, 1:2, "... with ALL THAT IN EVERY PLACE CALL UPON THE NAME OF JESUS CHRIST OUR LORD, both theirs and ours:" Now, look at what this is saying; "both theirs and ours".

1st John 4:2, "Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: EVERY spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh IS OF GOD..." We who call upon the name of Jesus should stand together, because there is an enemy/spirit which would kill us for calling upon this name even once. Think about it.

Peace!

Source(s): kjv
  • 1 decade ago

man, take a chill pill.

I am not JW but you are taking a Scripture that is not easily understood and twisting it to fit an agenda.

The scriptures should be read to gain further light and knowledge not bash others faiths. You will never truly understand them if you use them to try and destroy others.

It also says in that same chapter

Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.

which the JW can easily use to prove their belief that you don't exist after you die.

the bible is open to MANY interpretations and only by the Holy Spirit can you discover the truth.

Focus on learning truths for yourself and share them only with love and charity.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.