Oprah Today: Brenda Nesselroad-Slaby Baby Cecilia's death?

Brenda Nesselroad-Slaby left her daughter, Cecilia Jane, 2, strapped in a car seat for eight hours in the school parking lot at which she worked as an Asst. Principal, She told investigators she forgot to drop off Cecilia with a baby sitter after stopping to buy donuts for teachers that morning. And continued her work day until someone leaving at 4 spotted th child in the 105+ degree car, in which she had died.

My question is. Why didn't the babysitter call- if the baby should have been there, especially because it was the moms first day back to work (1st day of school). Wouldn't she find it odd that the baby hadn't been dropped off by mid morning? Did she try to call the parents to check if they were ok or if the baby was still coming.

Favorite Answer

When watching this episode of Oprah, I initially felt so much sympathy for this woman. Then, as I watched her reaction and googled her story and got all of the facts, I became disgusted with her. As a mother myself, I feel overwhelmed at times. I don't think I could ever forget my son in the back seat of our truck, though. Brenda Slaby backed her SUV in front of the school, doesn't she have to look back or at least glance in the rearview mirror especially when backing an SUV in an area where there are children? She didn't notice her daughter (sleeping or not) sitting there in her car seat (which at the two years old should be foward facing)? I know of many mothers who send their children to "big" daycares with children ranging from 6 weeks to 4 years of age. If she were to be fifteen minutes late, someone would be calling the cell phone, the house phone and the work phone to ask where the children are. And, if by some freak chance the daycare provider didn't call to ask about the children, my girlfriends call at least ONCE everyday to check in and make sure that their babies are ok.

I watched the school surviellance where Brenda Slaby went in and out of her SUV six times, actually passing the window where her daughter slept (behind the driver's seat). She even, after getting all of the donuts of course, got in the SUV and started it to move it to an actual parking space (and still didn't see her daughter).

I was disappointed that this "mother" still has custody of her first child. I was disappointed that this "mother" got away with murdering an innocent two year old daughter. I am more disappointed that Oprah glorified the idea that this tragedy was an accident and that a mother overwhelmed is capable of something as extreme as this. Never was it mentioned that that baby had to die what can only be thought of as a painful and slow horrific death because her mother was neglegent. Because her mother was selfish. Instead, society is blamed and Oprah says "woman are quick to criticize other women." I'm nowhere near perfect. Even my flaws have flaws, but I have to call it like I see it, this woman is a murderer.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Brenda Nesselroad-Slaby left her daughter, Cecilia Jane, 2, strapped in a car seat for eight hours in the school parking lot at which she worked as an Asst. Principal, She told investigators she forgot to drop off Cecilia with a baby sitter after stopping to buy donuts for teachers that morning....

Source(s): oprah today brenda nesselroad slaby baby cecilia death: https://tr.im/JnGGk
  • magoun

Brenda Slaby

• anon

i will not judge her because i have never been in that situation and i do not know her and after losing her daughter i do not think she needs more pain, but i do not think it is possible to leave your child in the car..

(it did make a LITTLE difference the fact that the baby was asleep and it was not her normal job but still)

did it bother anyone else that she did NOT cry..she just made faces it honestly bothered me and seemed as though she did not want to cry..i would have been balling especially after hearing those calls and watching the video of her daughter I WAS crying!

sorry just had to say that..but i thought the same thing i was saying that to my husband along with the crying thing! but then i guess it is not school you know the day care probably just does not call to say where is the child..butit still makes me wonder..

i am not saying she did and i still do not think it is possible but to that people saying how could she not notice the baby when sh got out of the car- my back windows are tinted i can not see in them from the outside so maybe her were just a thought

I have been feeling so disturbed by this story. I read an article online saying the baby sitter didn't call because sometimes the dad would keep the baby home with him and wouldn't call until later in the day to let her know he was keeping her. I guess she assumed it was another one of those days. This is so so sad. I can only imagine how horrible that woman must feel. Everyone makes mistakes. It sucks when your mistake turns into something so tragic.

Gladly, I did not see this! I get over emotional!

I am not taking sides, because I know only what I read on here just now; but think about it: she's back at work, first day, maybe a lot on her mind, maybe scared or excited; if the child was asleep when she pulled up to school, JUST maybe she didn't even look over her shoulder. I often have to FORCE myself to check my backseat for stow-aways or hiding ppl who may intend to harm me. If I have a million things on my m ind, I don't always check the backseat.

My question is "how did she buy donuts and manage to leave a child in the car", first of all. I know this is the lesser of the crime, but let's start at the beginning rather than the end!

She must have been nervous / excited about work, or frustratyed with morning traffic. When I have younger one in my car, no matter what age, I talk to them - who cares if they can fully understand me, they're learning and I'm venting sometimes or just being happy.

Source(s): We should all make an effort to smile, especially in the prescense of others! Life is too short to be cruel,so be kind! Don't judge others; that's not your job - only GOD has that right!

it might b just me but i dont see how ppl can forget about there baby when i hear something like this i always think that the parent did it on purpose cuz its a easy why out and they will just think yea she for got about the baby and plus is it just me or everytime u get out of the car dont u get a glece of the backseat so she would of seen it and yes i think if that was true the baby sitter would of called cuz thats her money right and we all need money or to see if everything was ok with the baby too cuz u call a babysitter to tell them im ganna stay at home with the baby today shes sick

• yogiT

I watched the show too.

I think it was a daycare centre. More kids = harder to track & call parents. Plus people may keep their kids home for a host of reasons. Guessing they wouldn't call everyone that didn't bring their child in. Since she was just starting back at work - daycare might have thought she was still @ home to take care of them.

This is something I myself don't understand. Did she not look in the back seat? She had to have looked back while getting the donuts out of the car. The babysitter probably figured that she flaked out.

ummmmm...how do you FORGET that your 2 year old is in the backseat?!?!?! That is the craziest thing I've ever heard and that is really sad to hear. : (