Linda
Linda asked in Food & DrinkEthnic Cuisine · 1 decade ago

Is this SAFFRON? What did I buy?

I went to Thailand and bought a bag of saffron, but it sure looks different (see link), what is this?

http://au.groups.yahoo.com/group/buying-saffron/

It looks like what you bought is what is left after the perfect "threads" are separated from the flowers. You got a little bit of everything that is pulled when the saffron is being harvested. Stamen, anther and even some bits of dried petals. I don't think it will kill you though!

It might be calandula petals, which is an orange flower that looks like a daisy. I've heard some people use it as a substitute for real saffron. It is edible, but it's not very strong. It has the color of saffron in food, but not the taste.

If there is any Persian store near you house you can go there and show them. they have the the best saffron. As I am a chef I have tried many kind of saffron (even from the spain ) for 20 year but the Persian one is the best.

regard,

pomegranate

NO not saffron. Go to a supermarket if you want Saffron. They sell it, it's common and even though it's expensive per pound you won't be buying that much so it'll cost you hardly anything.

Can't tell for sure, but it may be. Saffron is the dried stigma (one of the inner parts of a flower) of the Crocus flower. There are many species of Crocus, and it grows in many parts of the world. Each one is slightly different, but the use is the same.

It kinda looks like it. Saffron is usually individual yellow threads. If you're willing to spend a small fee, you could take it to a lab and have it analyzed.

What you bought is certainly not saffron. Saffron is not packaged in 'bags'. It is expensive and looks like yellow to maroon color threads depending on quality. The threads are about 2" long and look like coarse animal hair.

Now, it is possible that someone sold you some flour or paprika peppers. It may still yield color and may be edible. But it is not saffron

Click on the following link

http://www.indiacurry.com/spice/whatsaffron.htm

It doesnt look exactly like saffron to me.

Does it release yellow color when added to water??

it doesnt look 100% right... dont eat it just incase. if in doubt.. never buy!!

• liss

I think it might be safflower