Joyce A asked in EnvironmentGreen Living · 1 decade ago

Do you recycle plastic baggies or aluminum foil? What types of things do you re-use?

I am not doing as much as some people to "go green," but I'm trying. My mother, who went through the Great Depression, was a saver and a re-user. I am not. However, I have become more conscious of the need to conserve. Today I washed out a zip-lock baggie that had contained cookies. Thought I would re-use it! What do you re-use?

Aluminum foil go in with cans.

I never reuse plastic bags that have had meat or dairy in them. Others I do.

I use a trash can with no bags and rinse it once a week.

I turn oil cans upside down, into an empty oil can,to drain every drop (every 3rd oil change or so this gives me a FREE quart)

I put used, not new, oil in oil squeeze cans to use for drilling and tapping.

I read the newspaper online to save paper and money.

I wash Yogurt and Margarine containers (also jars plastic & glass) and use for storing leftovers.

I used to empty cigarette butts and re-roll into a cigarette but quit smoking.

I only use a Mag Lite if necessary other wise I use wind up or shaker flashlights.

When making coffee I just add more to filter each pot until filter is full. (I only use one filter for 3-4 pots)

I dry old coffee filters (with used coffee) and then throw on fire in wood stove.

Dried bread is thrown out on ground for birds, old food for dogs and cats.(I no longer raise hogs)

I try to wash car on a rainy day and let rain do the rinsing.

I plan to start composting and install gray water traps to use for garden.

I do not recycle plastic because I think it is unhealthy to store until recycling day that only comes once a year, here.

I take my old tyres home (and avoid the $5 per tyre recycling charge) then take them to local cement plant that recycles them for free (once a year)

I try to do most garage work at night in summer to minimize AC usage, (Daytime in winter to minimize heater.)

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I am not doing as much as some people to "go green," but I'm trying. My mother, who went through the Great Depression, was a saver and a re-user. I am not. However, I have become more conscious of the need to conserve. Today I washed out a zip-lock baggie that had contained cookies. Thought I would...

Source(s): recycle plastic baggies aluminum foil types use: https://biturl.im/p9SzG

I reuse the plastic baggies for garbage. I don't recycle aluminum foil but I reuse it until it's no good. I reuse cans. I recycle glass and pop/beer cans. I don't generate enough paper to recycle. It'd take me months to have enough to bother and it would be messy in my small apartment.

I used to use ziplock bags for everything and I started realizing how wasteful it was so I now I use tupperware for almost everything I used to use plastic bags for. I also try to recycle everything that you are allowed to recycle. In this area it is a pain because you have to seperate everything into open bins...most places now have one big can with a top for all recycled materials. Our paper blows around and my recycling drives my husband nuts! haha Oh Well! One thing I really want to start is composting because our "green" bin here is only for lawn cuttings.

aluminum foil goes in the bin w/ the cans.

the baggies get re-used a few times,then go in w/ the plastic bottles.

• Suzan

i reuse chinese take away boxes they are perfect size for sarnies!