Who wrote the book of Genesis?

And with your answer in mind, answer this: according to people that believe the Bible, they say the Earth is what, over 6000 years old, right? But scientists who have actually tested the Earth have proved that the Earth has been here for over 4 1/2 billion years. so, either way, for someone to know that God formed the Earth, they would have had to be there to know. otherwise, no one would really know how the Earth came to be. soo, written language or communication has been around how long??? again, who wrote the book of Genesis? and is it accurate? Who actually penned the idea that God created the Earth? Who was around at the time and what person knew this and therefore wrote about it? Doesn't add up if you ask me.

21 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best answer

Fireball is correct! Moses wrote it.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Moses wrote the Torah, the first five books of the scriptures.

No man was around when God created the earth, but he was. If he was there and told Moses about it then why would we not believe it?

There are those who say Moses did not write it all, or that others where involved in it. That has been proven false.

Computer agrees: Genesis had only one author

The following quote comes from Omni magazine of August 1982:

‘After feeding the 20,000 Hebrew words of Genesis into a computer at Technion University in Israel, researchers found many sentences that ended in verbs and numerous words of six characters or more. Because these idiosyncratic patterns appear again and again, says project director Yehuda Radday, it seems likely that a sole author was responsible. Their exhaustive computer analysis conducted in Israel suggested an 82 percent probability that the book has just one author.’

8 out of 10? Those are betting odds.

You may also get some answers that reference JEDPR theory. Well that has been disproven as well.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v20/i4/mo...

• 1 decade ago

Moses wrote the book of Genesis by revelation from God, since God was the only one here at the time He created everything.

Scientists have NOT proved that the earth is over 4.5 billion years old!

Please let me demonstrate the fallacy with their calculations.

There is a story (fictitious, of course) of some aliens from another galaxy who wanted to make first contact with earth.

They first studied all the different aspects of life on earth, among which, they studied the educational system.

For some reason, one of the politicians wanted to know how old a high school graduate was.

The scientists decided that the best way to do it was to measure the height of a high school graduate, measure the rate of growth, then calculate the age.

So, while the story is fictitious, here is some verifiable data:

The typical or average high school male graduate is about 72 inches tall. He has gained on the average of 1 inch per year during his three years in high school. Doing the math, the aliens determined that a typical male high school graduate was 72 years old (1 inch per year times 72 inches = 72 years).

The politicians weren't satisfied, so the scientists did another study. This time they measured the weights of the high school graduates.

Once again, the math demonstrated that the typical male high school graduate is 72 years old (162 pounds total, 2.25 pounds of gain per year, results in 72 years).

Now, I know the story is obviously fictitious, you don't have to tell me (DUH!), but the math is accurate!

How do you explain this discrepancy? I'll give you one hint: The initial premise was wrong.

If you can figure out what's wrong with this picture (the age of the high school graduate AS CALCULATED is way off), then you can also figure out why the age of the earth AS CALCULATED is also way off.

Good luck. Don't strain any brain muscles.

(Personally, I believe in the "young high-school graduate" theory, but I suppose you must insist that the math, being accurate, PROVES that the typical or average male high school graduate is actually 72 years old.)

• 1 decade ago

GENESIS, BOOK OF

Authorship and Date. The Book of Genesis gives no notice about its author. The early church, however, held to the conviction that Moses wrote the book, as did the Jerusalem Talmud and the firstcentury Jewish historian Josephus. In spite of the number of modern scholars who reject the Mosaic authorship of Genesis, the traditional view has much to commend it. Both the Old Testament and the New Testament contain frequent testimony to the Mosaic authorship of the entire Pentateuch <Lev. 1:1-2; Neh. 13:1; Matt. 8:4; Acts 26:22>.

It would be difficult to find a person in Israel's life who was better prepared or qualified than Moses to write the history recorded in the Book of Genesis. A man who "was learned in all the wisdom of the Egyptians" <Acts 7:22>, Moses was providentially prepared to understand and integrate, under the inspiration of God, all the available records, manuscripts, and oral narratives. Moses may have written the book during the years of the wilderness wandering to prepare the new generation to enter the land of Canaan.

As a prophet who enjoyed the unusual privilege of unhurried hours of communion with God on Mount Sinai, Moses was well equipped to record for all generations this magnificent account of God's dealings with the human race and the nation of Israel.

(from Nelson's Illustrated Bible Dictionary)

(Copyright (C) 1986, Thomas Nelson Publishers)

Exod 17:14 And the LORD said unto Moses, Write this for a memorial in a book, and rehearse it in the ears of Joshua: for I will utterly put out the remembrance of Amalek from under heaven.

(KJV)

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

There are a number of hands involved, not the least of whom would be God.

There is a large body of text by one writer of extraordinary talent -- comparing favorably with such heavy-weights as Shakespeare. This writer's style is very distinctive, and sets it apart. One thing he or she does is refer to God by use of the sacred name YHWH. When this writer was first pulled out of the rest of the book, the leading scholars were German, and they, of course spelled the holy name JHWH. They named this writer "J" for two reasons: He uses the Holy Name more than other sources, and he lived in the Southern Kingdom -- Judah. It is believed that "J" may have lived in the period of the United Monarchy or shortly thereafter.

The scholars who identified "J" also detected a major strand of text that seems to be originally from the Northern Kingdom. They named this source "E" after an old name (Ephraim) for the Northern Kingdom. This is a smaller strand,a nd seems to have been added in various places, perhaps as a gesture of respect for the refugees from the Northern Kingdom following its destruction.

Another strand of text seems related to Priestly things. The author of this is referred to as "P." There was a very skilled editor who spliced all of these sources together, and he is referred to, because German for editor is "Redaktor," as "R."

There are other smaller strands of text, such as the wonderful text that portrays Abram/Abraham as a mighty warrior, and he meets up with the enigmatic king/Priest, Melchizedek.

Genesis 1 is by the priestly source. What follows for several chapters is by the great "J."

I am somewhat surprised that I am the only one who has even heard of this by now quite routinely accepted scenario for the writing of the Bible, but I'm happy to pass along the information, in any case.

The urls below will assist you in finding used copies of the books I've mentioned.

Source(s): The Book of J by Harold Bloom http://tinyurl.com/4zgk4n "Who Wrote the Bible" by Richard Elliot Friedman "The Hidden Book in the Bible" by Richard Elliot Friedman http://tinyurl.com/4drmjx
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

According to tradition Moses. Moses wrote Genesis under the inspiration of the Holy Ghost.

-Till Christ Returns

God Bless

• 1 decade ago

Principal authorship of Genesis was, of course, lost to antiquity and carried by oral tradition in an unlettered culture. After the Hebrew speaking people of the northern (Israel) and southern (Judah) kingdoms began to write things down two versions of the Torah emerged: the one from the northern kingdom used Elohim to refer to God and is thus refered to as "E"; the one from the southern kingdom refered to God with the holy name and thus is refered to as "J" after the German practice of using the letter j to represent the consonantal sound of y. Late in the first temple era a third Torah emerged with pedantic language and priestly instructions. This is associated with the Zadokan dynasty of temple priests and is thus refered to as "P".

Then a short version of the Torah combined with the former prophets emerged. Since most of this mini-Torah is the book of Deuteronomy this source is refered to as "D". Finally, about the time of the Babylonian captivity all four sources,along with small sections from other sources were harmonized, or redacted, into their now familiar form.forms

• 1 decade ago

You bring up a lot of really good points. Let me address some of them for you.

First, I believe that Adam wrote part of Genesis, and 9 other people.

They were written by the eye witnesses of the events. (have you ever read genesis?) Where it says "And these are the generations of" is where one writer was signing off, then that account was passed down until the next writer wrote his section and then he signed off with

"and these are the generations of" - then the whole thing was eventually passed down to Moses and I believe that Moses edited the accounts per God's instructions and put them into a one book form for us today. So yes the bible does say that the earth is about 6,000 years old. This is found only by adding the dates in the genealogies of the bible, which were all writen by people who were there and in a position to know.

You talk about the scientists proving that the earth is 4.5 billion years old. Well, I would say that this date was came up with out of need and not out of hard science. Because evolution is the dogma of the religion of Naturalism, these men believe it no matter what. They have need to believe that the earth is billions and billions of years old in order to give evolution even the slightest chance. The dating techniques that these people use are not purely independant, no matter how much they want you to believe that. They are all based, calibrated, and accepted or rejected apon the preconcieved idea of how old the stuff is to begin with and that is based on their evolutionary assumptions.

If they used different dating techniques they would come up with different dates. There are limiting factors to the age of the earth that is much lower than 4.5 billion years. The earth, is in such a perfect equilibrium right now in order to sustain life. Just a very small percent change in one of many many many things would make all life on earth non-existant. Many of these things that are held in equilibrium have no good reason why they would stay in this equilibrium, (they could just as easy run out of the life sustaining boundries). It is not correct to think that all of these things would hold in the life sustaining boundries for 4.5 billion years.

You talk about how long written language has been around. Well it has been around for about 6,000 years. It started off complex (the first languages we know about are more complex than the ones still around today). Everything that we know about started out about 5 to 6 thousand years ago. The oldest coral reef is about 4,000 years old ( just after Noah's flood) The oldest tree is about 4,000 years old.

The oldest desert is about 4,000 years old. The oldest civilization is about 5,000 years old. Human population growth plots out to start with 8 people 4,400 years ago. There is no congruent way to plot human growth using millions of years. It just doesn't fit.

There are many things that the scientists think are millions and billions of years old but they forget the flood of Noah. That will mess them up every time. Where did all these sedimentary rock layers come from. Why is there billion and billions of fossils in them. We don't see any sedimentary rock layers forming today. We don't see fossils forming in them today. Where did all this calcium carbonate come from to for the layers? Not from any uniformitarianist idea, that is for sure. I urge everyone to get the book, "In the Beginning" by Walt Brown, he thouroughly covers all geologic phenomena in it using his

"Hydroplate theory."

• tgal
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

the first 5 books of the bible wee written by Moses. Moses was not born until the second book (exodus). Moses was chosen to lead the Israelites out of Egypt. Moses was given the 10 commandments on tablets of stone.

God instructed Moses to write those books in the Bible. Try Exodus and see for yourself!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

"But scientists who have actually tested the Earth have proved that the Earth has been here for over 4 1/2 billion years." -- Just so we're all fair. Man is using man-made mathematics to determine things. Let's also remember that all of the said mathematics are relative. So, the findings are most probably accurate (or as accurate as can be), but, as the atheists love to say, you should always question things. Religious or scientific, take everything you read or hear with a grain of salt.

Source(s): []D [] /\/\ []D
    • Barbara5 years agoReport

It has NOT been scientifically proved the world is over 6000 years old. It is a theory-NOT proof. It has been proven the earth is not over 600. Scientific proof. Recheck your information.

• 1 decade ago

They claim it was Moses who wrote the first 5 books.

But in the 5th book there is a detailed account of Moses' death.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.