What does spelling mean in horse terms?

I'm looking for a horse to buy and i've come across one that seems perfect (price range age and height etc) but it says "was retired from racing in feb 08. Since then he has been spelling. " What does the spelling part mean, i've never herd that term before? Also is it bad to get a horse the has retired... show more I'm looking for a horse to buy and i've come across one that seems perfect (price range age and height etc) but it says

"was retired from racing in feb 08. Since then he has been spelling. "

What does the spelling part mean, i've never herd that term before?

Also is it bad to get a horse the has retired from racing? will it act differently ect ect
thanks!
Update: I'm 14 and this is going to be my first horse. Well my parent have owned horses before and i've gone down there everyday to help feed them groom them wash them etc etc but this one is going to be my resposibilty. I'm just going to be using him as a plusure horse, riding him down the beach on trails and... show more I'm 14 and this is going to be my first horse. Well my parent have owned horses before and i've gone down there everyday to help feed them groom them wash them etc etc but this one is going to be my resposibilty.
I'm just going to be using him as a plusure horse, riding him down the beach on trails and just looking after him :)