Is it true that you can sale the tabs off of aluminum cans?

I was told by a friend that you could sale the tabs off of aluminum cans just like you do the cans, and they are worth more money. Is this true and where do you do this?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best answer

    Tabs for money rumor-Truth

    Tabs having a special value-False

    This question has been asked (and answered, I might add) literally thousands of times in Yahoo Answers.

    The tab off of soda/beer/cat food/soup/etc is classified by the nations recyclers as 'clean aluminum', it takes 1,538 or less (I have identified 159 different tabs to date) tabs to equal 1 pound of clean aluminum.

    82% of the recycling centers accept tabs as clean aluminum (always make a phone call first to make sure your not going to one of the other 18%).

    But don't expect to get rich off of recycling tabs, aluminum scrap metal prices have collapsed in the last three weeks, the national average has dropped from 75 cents a pound, to 19 cents a pound, which translates to 8,094 tabs for a buck.

    You have one other option, E-Bay. There are people out there who will pay on the average, $11.23 for 1,000 clean tabs, as they need them for arts and crafts. My Cub Scout pack sells tabs on E-bay for 2.99 per thousand (it supports their summer camp program).

    As for the person who compared cans to tabs, its more like 30+ cans to a pound, roughly, 53 tabs contain the same amount of aluminium to equal the 12 ounce can.

  • 4 years ago

    Some people do collect them for Ronald McDonald House, but you are better off collecting the entire aluminum cans, cashing them in and sending the money to a charity because that's what they are doing with the tops.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    they aren't worth anything by themselves - aluminum is aluminum - it takes about 10-12 aluminum cans including tabs to weigh a pound, which will get you whatever per pound alum scrap is going for today if it's $1.00 per pound, that's about 8 cents per can, which would mean you'd need hundreds and hundreds of can tabs to equal that same pound - not worth the time or effort - just get the full (empty) cans

  • 1 decade ago

    No. Certain hospitals will accept the tabs, each tab buying credit of one minute of dialysis for a kidney patient. I have known students who collect the tabs for a local hospital here.

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    they are aluminum why wouldn't they be sellable? as for the dialysis thing that urban myth has been around for years, no truth to it

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    I don't know, but that would be good to know. I drink a lot of cans!

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.