Lucy
Lv 6
Lucy asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Reputable breeders, what do I look for in an Alaskan Malamute breeder and puppy?

Hi, there - I plan on purchasing an Alaskan Malamute to show. I have had rescue dogs all of my life, and I'm currently learning to be a professional handler. I do not want to breed my Malamute, just own and show.

I'm currently reading the AKC standard, history, etc, on the Alaskan Malamute forwards and backwards, trying to learn as much as possible about this beautiful breed.

What do I look for in a reputable breeder for a show quality dog?

What kinds of questions do I ask?

What should I look for in a good puppy?

Thanks for your answers.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best answer

What is a Responsible & Reputable Dog Breeder?

These are people who breed to improve the breed because they love it.

Their notable traits:

-They show & compete their dogs.

-They win titles.

-They have researched animal husbandry & genetics.

-They have only a few breeding dogs.

-The females are at least 2 before having the first litter.

-The females are bred only a few times in their lives.

-The dogs live with the family.

-The dog’s eyes, knees and if necessary, hips are checked at the appropriate age and they are also tested for any breed-specific health issues.

-They have waiting lists for the pups before they are conceived.

-They give potential puppy owners the 3rd degree.

-They require new puppy owners to sign a contract that if they can’t keep the puppy for any reason at any time in its life, it must be returned to the breeder.

-They have a spay/neuter clause in their contract. (or in your case, a breeding rights contract, or at the very least will be interested in your plans for showing).

-By the time the puppy goes home it has been to the vet more than once for vaccinations and check ups.

• 1 decade ago

A Good breeder knows about there lines , what and why they feed there dogs a certian food, about health defects in there lines- and is truthful about what they are doing about it ( Cert there dogs , pick outside lines with out it etc) .

Make sure your confortable with the adult dogs, see where they live most of the time , Ask for Grooming advice, and you would like to see peddigrees on the dogs. MOST breeders will have some Champions in the lines , but there own dogs may not be finished ( which can take years ). Its better to buy a puppy out of a younger ***** - Older bitches throw more problems - and there bodies may have toxic build up. Also pick a breeder that stops a bitches breeding fairly young ( 4-5) and is in control of when the puppies are born and skips heats etc.

Pick a puppy with a good attitude , springy and happy , not the one biting your leg and growling - and not the one shaking in the corner. There is an Apitude test that many other breeders use to grade the personalitys of puppies at 7 weeks (49 days ) - so you know what to expect in your puppy . A show puppy should not be nervious or sharp , and should be mostly calm and yet confident. At 6-7 weeks puppies are like Minature adults , this is a good time to look for conformation , check there teeth and bite , for a male puppy - look for testicles , female puppies - look that there coochy is not inverted which can cause health problems and UTIs later in life. If a puppies ears are not up at this time, dont panic .

Visit a couple people , and bring Lysol and spray your feet before you get back into your car ( Just incase they have parvo on the property- so your not spreading it to the next breeder you visit) , and use hand sanitizer or wash your hands before you leave.

Source(s): 2nd Generation German Shepherd Breeder www.Kimmelot.com
  • 1 decade ago

If you're looking for a Show Quality Pup, then your best bet would be to find a Breed Mentor through the Alaskan Malamute Club of America. They can help you find a breeder, help you choose a show quality pup and get you started in the "Show" world.

• The AMCA has lots of good info on finding a puppy.

http://www.alaskanmalamute.org/PublicEd/thinking.a...

Also, hang around at the shows and talk to the breeders there. Join your local Al Mal club and attend the events, talk to the breeders, learn about the breed.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Look for a kennel that does all the genetic testing required to ensure health of the parents before breeding. Look for a kennel with proven champion lines (if you are looking to show)...if this is your first show experience don't expect to get a top quality puppy, maybe start with getting a pet puppy from a reputable kennel and doing Obedience, Rally, or Agility to prove you are serious about showing. Ask to see pedigrees on the parents and of course the testing results...

• 1 decade ago

Reputable breeders health test. Look for OFA, BAER and CERF paperwork from the breeder. Ask about that first, if they don't know what you are talking about, find another breeder.

Don't know where you live in the US, but if you are in Northern CA or near it there is a Malamute breeder and pro handler that is looking for some kennel help.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

A good breeder will let you see the mom and dad.

A good breeder will have a clean good smelling house.

A good beeder will answer any and all questions without getting pissy and irritated.

The puppies should be well solicalized and come up to greet you.

the sire and dam should be friendly.

The puppies should look plump but not bloated and have a full puppy coat with no bald patches.

And finally a good breeder will have only one breed of dog and will not charge an arm and leg for a puppy.

good luck

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Contact your local kennel club, they can refer you to a reputable breeder.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

1 & most important???

If they say "ALASKAN"...RUN AWAY!!!!

That is *NOT* the name! It's just plain MALAMUTE!!!

Go to shows ,WATCH the judging,follow someone back to their set-up & TALK TO THEM!!!

You don't know enough to pick a pup-THEY will.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.