PJ asked in Computers & InternetHardwareAdd-ons · 1 decade ago

my aspire 5720z 2gb ram and 80gb hard drive 91% full local disk 25% If i up grade to 4gb ram will that help?

I have allready increased virtual memory.It worked for a while and then filled up again.or how can i utilise local disk.Can anydody tell me please.Thank's PJ.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Why not use ReadyBoost instead, It will save you a lot of money.

Using ReadyBoost-capable flash memory (NAND memory devices) for caching allows Windows Vista to service random disk reads with performance that is typically 80-100 times faster than random reads from traditional hard drives. This caching is applied to all disk content, not just the page file or system DLLs.

You can use a 4 Gb Memory Stick then insert it on your 5-in-1 card reader slot, Your Card Reader support Secure Digital (SD), MultiMediaCard (MMC), Memory Stick® (MS), Memory Stick PRO™ (MS PRO), xD-Picture Card™ (xD)

• 1 decade ago

I think you are confusing something here.

Virtual memory is a certain size lets say 2gb,1gb,512.. space on your harddrive, and this is used as Virtual memory for your paging files, which are temp files for quicker access of visited sites/files/etc...which works together with your RAM...they assist eachother when handling your requests.

I dont know what you are trying to do but your local disk space is not affected of your PC speed or performance.If your hdd is full it doesen't matter. Of course if you upgrade your RAM is always good but do you really needed? 2GB is a lot.

Your local disk is C: but of course you can get external hdd all over the place.

Source(s): own...
  • 1 decade ago

Firstly get rid of what you really dont need off that hard drive or store what you want to keep (music etc) on cd's or external hard drive. in terms of RAM if your running vista 32 bit or XP will only recognise max 3gb so if thats the case go for 3gb

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

read wiseguy. if you get 4Gb No. or 3Gb would not give more storage space, but would maybe move stuff around quicker, get rid of all the junk then put what you want to keep on discs or memory sticks or exterior Hdd where all the storage of music, pictures or files could go.

this would leave your interior hard drive less loaded, then defragment the Hdd

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

to free up some space on your hard drive use the DISK CLEANUP which you will find in the Accessories/Systems tools run the program ant it will free up some space also do as some of the other answers and use add/remove programs to remove software you are no longer using

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.