Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 1 decade ago

When an electric ceiling fixture doesnt work, what procedures are done to find out what's wrong?

I replaced the lightbulb but it wont work. Therefore the problem must be between the light switch and the ceiling fixture which is new.

First, turn the switch to the off position! Next, check the connections at the fixture. I feel as though it is more than likely the connections or the fixture itself. Take the fixture down and careful inspect it for any scorch marks or loose factory wiring. Most lighting manufacturers, cheap or expensive, will basicly make them the same way. Jazz happens! That's all there is too it. If you are still unable to determine what the problem is then start to look passed the fixture. The switch could be bad. You might also have a break in a wire somewhere. Example: during the wiring process the installer could have hammered a staple just a little too tight. In this case, the flow of current over time may have just now broken the wire. It has happened before. You may get to a point where you check the wires at the ceiling box for voltage. If it shows voltage but a lamp still will not come on, whether it be it the fixture in question or any other, then that would mean that a neutral wire has a break in it. This could be along the path of the wire or it could be in the switch box. I have had this problem occur because an "electrician" failed to properly make a junction. Anyway, with all of this being said, check your connections at the light, then the switch. Then move to swap out the switch. Then test the wires in the ceiling box. Finally, inspect (if possible) the wire in the attic / craw space and or replace that piece of romex wiring. My money is on........it's in the switch box???

Good Luck. BE CAREFUL. E-mail me and let me know what happens or if you have any other questions.

Source(s): Years of electrical experience

some of these cheap fixtures are not well made . if your not careful when you twist out the old bulb you will also twist out the socket ,always hold the socket while turning the bulb.if it did twist it will need to be replaced.if it shorted you will need to reset the breaker,after you make the repair.but more likely you twisted out a wire ,you probably need a new fixture,unless it wasn't properly installed.if thats the case just splice the wires better.

• Jim S

The first thing I would do is check the wiring connections at the fixture. There should be 3 wires: black, white, and green or bare. Black to black, white to white, and green or bare to ground. Make sure the wire nuts are tight. If not, tighten them. Check your work by trying the light before you put the cover back on.