Landlord not adhering to the 24 hour notice prior to entering our apartment?

My landlord does request permission prior to entering our apartment, the problem is it's always last-minute. Our lease states that she is supposed to give us 24hrs notice prior to entering our apartment (in RI) with the exception of emergencies. But she treats everything like an emergency. I often receive phone calls in the middle of the day that she wants to come over at five or sometimes before I'll get home from work. It's usually for routine stuff too like checking smoke detectors or some other maintenance type of issue. Sometime she's just plain pushy like when I get a phone call on Sunday night at 9 and she and her husband want to drop by and bleed the radiators. She says it'll only take a minute and it's true, but I was in my PJs and turning in for bed and I don't want to have my evening interrupted.

Today, I get an e-mail that she wants to come into our apartment to adjust vents because the neighbors upstairs claim that they get uneven heat in certain rooms of their home. First, we don't even have those vents from ceiling-to-floor so I don't know what she's talking about. But she wants to enter my bedroom to do this and it's in a condition that I would be extremely embarrassed for anyone to see (I've been working 14hr days for the past week). I didn't get this message until I got to work this morning (she e-mailed me at 7am) and now I'm in no position to do anything about my room. If she gave more notice I could have made my room presentable, or at least got my underclothes off the floor (which she will have no choice to step on if she needs to get to my radiator). My question is, can I put my foot down and refuse her entry to my apartment? I'm willing to schedule a time that works better for me to let her in, all I'm asking for is the 24 hours stated in the lease. But she tries to make everything an "emergency".

Favorite Answer

Leaking water or smoke is an emergency. Nothing else. Put your foot down and hold them to the 24 notice. But remember you don't ave to be there so an appointment is never necessary.

It sounds like she is using BS to check your apartment regularly. Has there been anything to arouse her suspicions? Frequent overnight guests, frequent parties?

I use the "smoke detector" excuse myself (plus changing the furnace filters), but it only works twice a year which is enough for a casual look-see.

If she is not organized, that is her problem and not yours. The law states that she MUST give you a twenty-four hour notice to come into your apartment unless it is an emergency.

Some landlords are nosy and they are trying to see if someone else is living there without being listed on the rental agreement.

I have managed many apartments in the past, and NEVER I imposed on the tenants. Once a year I would check to make sure that their smoke defector was working properly. I would give each tenant a notice that on XX date I will check your smoke alarm. If you would like to be present call me for a better date within that week. My tenants always like me because I give them what I wanted from them--respect.

I would contact the Fair Housing Department in your area, for guidelines in that area.

Source(s): Former Apartment Manager for years

If the landlord calls or emails and asks you for your permission to enter and you give it - she does not need to give the 24 hour notice because you agreed to let her in.

Stop agreeing to let her in if she has not given proper notice. Simply tell her (or email) that you would appreciate 24 hours notice unless it is a valid emergency.

As landlord, I define emergencies as flood, blood or fire.

Just tell her because your hectic schedule y'all are going to have to adhere to the 24hr notice as stated in your lease.

If she says well its never been a problem before, say , well not for you, but I have always been unhappy about your lack of notice. Its OK stick up for yourself.

Tell her to make an appointment, you are within your rights, this woman's behaviour is out of order and she is in breach of contract, I think she is just being nosey, or needs to get a life of her own and stop trying to catch you with someone of the opposite sex in your room.

I suggest discussing this with her. Let her know why it upsets you.