Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 1 decade ago

Are humans more important than animals?

Why do we see ourselves as being more important than animals? Just because we're more intelligent than them, does that mean we have the right to kill them for food and leather, etc?

Favorite Answer

I think we're unique and it would be a greater loss than any other single species would be, but we aren't worth the 100 rain forest species that go extinct every day. We aren't perfect, and we aren't currenly the best species for the planet, but I think we'll change, I just hope it's not before it's too late.

As far as killing other animals go, the only problem with it is that animals aren't the most efficient food source. They require much more calories in feed than they provide to us. Livestock is also a major source of greenhouse gas emissions. The only reason to keep them around is because they taste so good. Is it WRONG to eat them? Is it wrong for a lion to eat a gazelle? Is it wrong for a mosquito to drink your blood and give you malaria? Is it wrong for a botfly to lay eggs in the cut on your arm?

• Logan

It depends. We're smarter than them, but that doesn't make us objectively better. I think you have to strike the right balance between seeing humans as the center of the universe and seeing humans as the scum of the Earth and source of all things bad (in other words, I think it's unfounded and unscientific to believe nature would be perfectly harmonious and peaceful if not for humans).

You're right that us being smarter doesn't give us dominion over other animals. I think it's probably wrong to kill pigs (as an example) for meat, even if we treated them humanely. Saying you eat pork because you like the taste and damn the consequences sounds very selfish, and is ethically indefensible.

However, I don't see the harm in eating things like oysters or crawdads or lobsters. In my view mammals and birds and some fish are intelligent enough for us to consider their interests and desires, but the intelligence of insects and crustaceans and mollusks (excluding cephalopods) is so minimal that there is no merit to treating them as if they were as smart as a dog or pig.

<<Why do we see ourselves as being more important than animals?>>

We're biased. In fairness, so presumably are non-human animals. They show more interest in their own species-centred affairs than they pay to us, and I don't blame them.

Not always..

Some humans are pretty worthless.

Some animals are pretty worthless.

( Yes, I know that humans are animals ).

all animals believe that thier species is the most important and we are not better than animals we are considered an animal humans are just a big part of the animal kingdom we don't have a right to wear animals and eat them that is why groups like PETA are so important to showing us what we do is wrong

check out this site

http://www.peta.org/

AND YOU WILL UNDERSTAND THE AWFUL WAYS OF HUMANS

We ARE animals

• We are animals...we're just the dominant species..heh, for now, that is.

• Rich Z

Yes to all of your questions. I am glad that you asked.

no we are all equal

animals rock!