What type of laptop cooling pad is better?: the one with the fans or the gel pads that draw heat away?

I have my laptop on all day and somethimes it gets really really hot. I'm going to add another 1GB of ram to it, which i would imagine would make it even hotter.

So i decided a cooling pad is the way to go, but im not sure what type.

Should i get the one with the fans or the gel pad that draws heat away?

I think i'd rather the gel pad, but what works better?

Favorite Answer

get the fans, the gel pad might draw heat away but it will also cut the airflow to your fan significantly, the cooling pad with the fans will provide much more cool air to the cpu fan of the laptop which will in turn keep the processor of the laptop at an optimal temperature. I also suggest getting a ca of compressed air, taking of the fan cover and blowing away any dust that might be stuck inside the fan. And the ram will not make the laptop any hotter, it might even help cool it by keeping the computer from using a page file in the hard drive, thus reducing the cpu cycles needed for memory access

Source(s): A+ certified computer technician

Gel Cooling Pad

I don't know what the gel ones are, but unless the gell pad goes in the freezer first the gel will be hot instead of the laptop. I'd go with the fan one. There is a USB connection for power and they are pretty quiet, plus a fan will clearly draw the heat away.

I have not seen any 'Gel pad' cooler. What would concern me with that is the likelihood that your laptop has at least some venting on the base. This is likely to be blocked by any 'Gel pad'

The most effective measure you can take are to open the fans and removing any trace of dust build-up against the vents.

Also any external fans may be far too noisy.

• Smark

I don't know which works better. I leave my laptop on all day too, and it doesn't get hot...

Anyway, I would go with the gel pad, because fans can break or otherwise just be annoying.

Source(s): Self.

Prob the gel pad because if it is hot u don't want it hot anymore because why would u by a fan that also uses up more electricity and cost more In the long run and just takes longer to cool it down

Source(s): http://gamesrme.com. Not a source but it is my unfinished website that is almost done but is gonna be awsome in the end

The fans work better for cooling, but the gel pads are silent and take no energy.

Cooling Pad!!!! It keeps the machine cooler, most of them comes with 2 or 3 fans.

I'm not really answering this specific question, but one that is related, and that's why your question caught my eye. I haven't tried the cooling pads, but my laptop does get very hot (it's a Sony VAIO and they are so thin they tend to get hot). Recently the fan has started to make a lot of noise. I was reading online and people say they opened it up and cleaned the fan, or they used strong vacuum. I did vacuum and that seemed to help a little bit. But to open it up.... I'm afraid to do that. But I don't want to spend a lot of money to have somebody else do that. Suggestions? How difficult/risky is it to do this to your own laptop?

The one with the fans will work alot better, it also draws heat away at the same time.