is santa claus real or not?

im quite old but my mum and dad keep telling me that he is real. but i want to know the truth

Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa Claus

By Francis P. Church, first published in The New York Sun in 1897. [See The People’s Almanac, pp. 1358–9.]

We take pleasure in answering thus prominently the communication below, expressing at the same time our great gratification that its faithful author is numbered among the friends of The Sun:

Dear Editor—

I am 8 years old. Some of my little friends say there is no Santa Claus. Papa says, “If you see it in The Sun, it’s so.” Please tell me the truth, is there a Santa Claus?

Virginia O’Hanlon

Virginia, your little friends are wrong. They have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age. They do not believe except they see. They think that nothing can be which is not comprehensible by their little minds. All minds, Virginia, whether they be men’s or children’s, are little. In this great universe of ours, man is a mere insect, an ant, in his intellect as compared with the boundless world about him, as measured by the intelligence capable of grasping the whole of truth and knowledge.

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no Santa Claus! It would be as dreary as if there were no Virginias. There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The eternal light with which childhood fills the world would be extinguished.

Not believe in Santa Claus! You might as well not believe in fairies. You might get your papa to hire men to watch in all the chimneys on Christmas eve to catch Santa Claus, but even if you did not see Santa Claus coming down, what would that prove? Nobody sees Santa Claus, but that is no sign that there is no Santa Claus. The most real things in the world are those that neither children nor men can see. Did you ever see fairies dancing on the lawn? Of course not, but that’s no proof that they are not there. Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders there are unseen and unseeable in the world.

You tear apart the baby’s rattle and see what makes the noise inside, but there is a veil covering the unseen world which not the strongest man, nor even the united strength of all the strongest men that ever lived could tear apart. Only faith, poetry, love, romance, can push aside that curtain and view and picture the supernal beauty and glory beyond. Is it all real? Ah, Virginia, in all this world there is nothing else real and abiding.

No Santa Claus! Thank God! he lives and lives forever. A thousand years from now, Virginia, nay 10 times 10,000 years from now, he will continue to make glad the heart of childhood.

It was nice when we were kids, I think people don't have the right to take the magic away from being children. I was actually quite upset when I had to grow up, had to face this turning point when I was wise enough to figure it out. Anyone who f--ks with a kid and tells them there is no Santa when they are younger is an a--hole. That's one of the joys of being a kid, is truly believing in something.

When I was seven I stopped believing it because of the movie The Santa Clause with Tim Allen. The whole thing with Glen and how he explained it to Charlie had me thinking. But I did research of my own, and it IS possible for someone to go around the world in one night and deliver presents because of the time zone differences.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Claus

Saint Nicholas of Myra is the primary inspiration for the Christian figure of Santa Claus. He was a 4th-century Greek Christian bishop of Myra in Lycia, a province of the Byzantine Anatolia, now in Turkey. Nicholas was famous for his generous gifts to the poor, in particular presenting the three impoverished daughters of a pious Christian with dowries so that they would not have to become prostitutes. He was very religious from an early age and devoted his life entirely to Christianity. In Europe (more precisely the Netherlands, Belgium, Austria and Germany) he is still portrayed as a bearded bishop in canonical robes. In 1087, the Italian city of Bari, wanting to enter the profitable pilgrimage industry of the times, mounted an expedition to locate the tomb of the Christian Saint and procure the remains. The reliquary of St. Nicholas was desecrated by Italian sailors and the spoils, including his relics, taken to Bari where they are kept to this day. A basilica was constructed the same year to store the loot and the area became a pilgrimage site for the devout, thus justifying the economic cost of the expedition. Saint Nicholas became claimed as a patron saint of many diverse groups, from archers and children to pawnbrokers. He is also the patron saint of both Amsterdam and Moscow.

The current modernization of Santa was developed by Coca-Cola to increase sales.

Rudolph was an advertising gimmick. Montgomery Ward was too cheap in 1939 to out-source a Christmas story so they had one of their copy writer’s work up one to use for a children’s coloring book promotion that we now know as Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer. After the writer got rights to the story, he had his brother-in-law write up lyrics, sent them off to famous singers, and then it was recorded by one and sold -- to the count of fifteen million copies.

• Yesh! he is real as long as we believe he is! I always knew as a little girl that Mom and Dad bought the presents, but I also knew that Santa is real.

Bloody hell...still believing in Saint Nick are we?? Time for bed then for you..

• Matt

No, sorry kid, but Santa isn't real.

no.hes just some fake fat guy people made up.now dont ask any more stupid questions

real

your mummy is right hunny, now go to bed, have a nice dream!