Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Can you be a Christian and NOT believe in young earth creationism?

I love God/Jesus but I don't believe in young earth creationism. Is that okay? Christians only please and if atheists or other religions must answer, at least give a polite insightful answer. Thanks!

Update:

Ok NOW I see why some atheists are so fed up with Christians. No offense guys but trying to convince me that a dino isn't real? What the...

45 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

Yes you can! You can even be an evolutionist and still be a Christian! The bible is to be taken from a spiritual perspective and not a scientific perspective. The historic parts of it (Genesis to be specific) were written in a way for people who lived thousands of years ago can understand. Imagine trying to explain advanced physics and radioactive dating to people back then!!

Like some answers said, only a small amounts of Christians believe in young earth creation. Most Christians believe in either old earth creationism or evolution (yes I said evolution! It has been publicly accepted by the Catholic church)

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 decade ago

"Can you be a Christian and NOT believe in young earth creationism?"

Yes. And you'd be a more intelligent Christian.

Please. Please! Do not lump all Christians into the Young Earth camp. The YECers are a small minority--perhaps 10%. It doesn't matter what they believe. And it doesn't matter what I believe. The truth does not change upon what one believes. The truth is just the truth:

Here is the truth: Heb 4:7-11 says the 7th day of creation is STILL occurring. "You too can enter God's seventh day rest TODAY."

That's a YECer show stopper. The Bible itself explicity decrees that the days of creation are not 24 hours.

According the author of Hebrews, the 7th day has been going on since the creation of the world to this very day. The 7th day is countless millennia. By induction, the rest of the creation days can be countless millennia. Therefore, the Bible does not make a statement as to the age of the earth. And that's okay. It is to glory of God is conceal a matter, and to the glory kings to discover it.

Where does the YECer make his mistake? He doesn't understand that Ge 1 is a Hebrew poem or what that implies. He is completely ignorant of the literary devices of ancient Middle Eastern poety. YECers are neither aware that Ge 1 is a poem, nor that the 6000 year old earth comes from James Ussher, an Anglican Bishop of the 17th century, whose miscalculations made it into the footnotes of many Bibles right up to the 20th century. YECers are not aware of Heb 4:7-11, for if they were, they wouldn't be YECers.

The author of the Book of Hebrews understands the creation

days are not 24 hours. How? Because on the seventh day, the phrase "and there was evening and there was morning" is not present. According to the Hebrew poetic style, that phrase's omission from this one stanza, means that the 7th day is still occurring. God is still resting. God is resting from creating. God is doing other things now.

• 4 years ago

No YEC does not actually underpin the biblical chronology. The "young earth" was not an issue until the mid 1600's when Bishop Ussher back calculated the age of the earth using the genealogies in Genesis. The problem is that those genealogies are demonstrably incomplete AND it assumes that what is being described is father-son relationships. This is also a faulty assumption. Additionally Genesis 1:1, the creation of the "heavens and earth" (the universe) has no time frame attached. The "days" of Genesis 1 and 2 have multiple literal meanings and need not be understood as solar days. It is rather difficult to make the arguement that they need to be solar days based on the internals of Genesis (the activity on "day" 6 is obviously not going to happen in a single day.) The idea caught on so fast that Ussher's dates became part of the "authorized" KJV Bible in 1701. The Hebrew calendar was "calculated" in about 160 A.D. (or CE, if you like) and is not a counting of the years since creation. It is a conclusion similar to Ussher's.

• 1 decade ago

To be "christian" is to be "christ like". I choose to believe what HE says, after all, HE made it, HE was there.

evolution= out of chaos comes order

God= our of order came chaos.

the two are 100% opposed.

there are many questions that ev's can't answer: like if granite rock took thousands of years to cool, then how did a radio isotope with a half life of a millionth of a second get recorded in the rock?

Jesus said "truth upon truth, line upon line" if you chose not to believe what God says about HIS creation (not what man says) then how much more truth do you think he will give you?

here is a note, I read in discover magazine, top 100 greatest discovery's in 2008.

Einstein says that nothing can travel faster then light. some scientist took a entangled proton and sent one part down a fiber optic and the other part the other side and they were 11 miles apart, yet when one was measured the other changed in the same instant. This shows that one proton reacted to the other at 500,000 times the speed of light. are we SURE scientist understand what they see?

I do belive God said if we don't love the truth then we will be decived.

Source(s): *GOD
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Yes... because I am a Christian and I believe in the Old Earth creation...

I believe that each day of the creation was actually a phase of the creation and there is not a specific time frame at which that phase began or ended.

I have a degree in Geography, specializing in Physical Geography and I worked in a geology library for 4 years.... I have seen much evidence that the world is older than 12,000 years old... I even believe at one point all the continents made one huge continent... One can see this by how they fit together... the most obvious is how South American fits into Western Africa...

• 1 decade ago

There are many, MANY christians who do not believe in young earth creationism. Your religion may be a leap of faith, but it is not necessary to extend that faith until it contradicts known scientific fact (age of the earth, evolution, etc.). In addition, the Vatican has recognized evolution as having merit, and it has been my personal experience that most christians do accept the scientific fact of evolution and an Earth that is several billion years old.

In addition, the bible does not explicitly state anywhere that the Earth is 6000 years ago and that every creature on Earth was created just as it is now and has not changed at all. That interpretation is actually somewhat new (well, a few hundred years old) and is based on some highly questionable math involving the number of generations it lists from Adam and Eve until Jesus.

So as a quick answer, no, you most certainly do not, and you will find a great deal of company with fellow christians if you choose to acknowledge the scientific fact of evolution, and an old Earth.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The ONLY reason anyone believes in the God of the Bible is because of the Bible. The Bible says it is the TRUE word of God. If you don't accept it as the word of God then it is just the word of a bunch of ancient barbarians. Do you think God would let someone tamper with his word, considering what is at stake (heaven or hell). It's a cop out when people say," some is literal and some is metaphorical". Like God would play games and make it confusing so many would go to hell. Where in the Bible does it (God) say you can pick and choose what you want to believe. It clearly states it is all Gods word. If you don't believe in the creation of Adam and Eve then there is no need for salvation, the WHOLE point of believing in God in the first place. It's pretty obvious that the earth isn't anywhere near 6000 years old. It's also pretty obvious with all the other mistakes in the Bible, that a bunch of science lacking barbarians wrote it, without any inspiration from any Gods what so ever.

• 1 decade ago

Evolution is still a theory and not a fact and there are so many varieties of this belief that they become religions in themselves. All you need to believe is the GOD IS and that he rewards anyone who diligently seeks him . If you don't believe me try it. you might be truly amazed at how great He is and how small the mind of even the greatest minds put together really are. That God is the creator of the universe is beyond our understanding as time itself is His creation and young or old does not apply to his handiwork in the same way as we understand it. Mans mind is finite but God's mind is infinite.

Source(s): The Bible
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It's perfectly fine. You can believe in a deity without believing what is written in a book about them, especially if you understand that the book is comprised of works by many different authors, each with their own personal beliefs and that those personal beliefs may not be what your deity actually means.

For example, Leviticus introduces some rather harsh and violent solutions to situations that can be resolved in a manner that one would think God or Jesus would also consider barbaric and presumably agree could be settled through non-violent methods. Another example is the Book of Revelation for which we only have one author's word on and even then we have no way of verifying that the author is who he claims to be, that he meant it to be anything more than fiction or that he was not deluded. His claims would indeed suggest that he was the latter and that his delusions really shouldn't be taken to heart.

Basically, if you're going to follow the teachings of Jesus then do it. Don't get hung up on a book that wasn't even written during his lifetime.

• Ray G
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Absolutely. The Bible is not the source of the young earth idea, mistaken interpreters are. Science is a good and noble way to know many things about the universe and we should make use of it to the fullness of it's power, recognizing that it does have it's limits, though. It cannot find that which does not manifest itself in the physical realm, for instance. Back to the point, there are several good books on the subject of how to reconcile faith with science in the creation/evolution debate. Check my sources below.

Source(s): The Sefer Yetzirah, trans. by Aryeh Kaplan God and the New Physics, Paul Davies The Science of God, Gerald Schroeder Genesis Unbound, Sailhammer
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.