Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Who is the suffering servant mentioned in Isaiah 53......?

Isaiah 53:7 He was oppressed and afflicted, yet he did not open his mouth; he was led like a lamb to the slaughter....

19 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best answer

The Holy Lamb of God.

Jesus quotes Isaiah 53:12 Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.

Luke 22:37 For I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me, And he was reckoned among the transgressors: for the things concerning me have an end.

edit to the modern Jews who do not believe this is Messianic prophesy but prophesy of Israel

he was cut off out of the land of the living for the transgression of my people to whom the stroke was due"? So was Israel cut off out of the land of the living for the transgression of Israel to whom the stroke was due?

• 1 decade ago

Thinking Isaiah 53 refers to Jesus is a common mistake. Chapters 40-55 of Isaiah were written by Second Isaiah i.e. after southern kingdom was destroyed in 586 BCE and the surviving Israelites had been taken into captivity. Like all the prophets, he was writing for his own time, not future generations. He was trying to explain to the nation of Israel why they suffered and why they should yet have hope. Here's why that interpretation is correct: 1) There is no use of the word “messiah” in the passage at all. Moreover, the Jewish idea of a messiah was not someone who suffered, but rather a mighty leader. Therefore it is clear that the “servant” who has suffered is not meant to be any type of messiah. 2) The servant is crushed, the opposite of stretched or crucified, which is what happened to Jesus. 3) Most fundamentally, the author specifically identifies the “servant” as the nation of Israel in 41:8 and 49:3. The sufferings of the servant are said to be in the past, not in the future. This is consistent with the timing of the writing, i.e. after the destruction of the nation of Israel has occurred and the captivity is underway. The suffering of Jesus, by contrast, occurs in the future.

• cmw
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Isaiah 53 refers to the Messiah, whether or not you believe the Messiah has already come. Personally, I believe He has come in the person of Yeshua/Jesus.

For the sake of length, I'm going to link you to a page that cites the Targum, the Talmud and a number of rabbinical scholars and Jewish sages who agree that the suffering servant is Moshiach, the Messiah, not Israel.

• 1 decade ago

Of Course it is Jesus who is the Christ. Some obvious clues in particular are in these Bible verses:

Isaiah 53:5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

Isaiah 53:6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

The Apostle Peter commented on this fact:

1 Peter 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.25 For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.

If Peter made this connection as a Jew and a believer..why can't we all?

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I will be brief in my explanation of this scriptural passage,but this text can be looked at in 2 unique perspectives the 1st. one being the text as a metaphor describing what is to happen to the whole nation of Israel, because when G-d addresses the children of Israel he addresses them as 1 person this is scriptural fact, the 2nd way the text can be viewed is the text describing the Messiah who is the correlation of [all] Israel. Which is Yeshua hamoshiach the holy one of Israel.

Source(s): Shalom
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Jesus being led to his Death.....

The same Person speaking Here (Proverbs 8:22-36)  “Jehovah himself produced me as the beginning of his way, the earliest of his achievements of long ago. 23 From time indefinite I was installed, from the start, from times earlier than the earth. 24 When there were no watery deeps I was brought forth as with labor pains, when there were no springs heavily charged with water. 25 Before the mountains themselves had been settled down, ahead of the hills, I was brought forth as with labor pains, 26 when as yet he had not made the earth and the open spaces and the first part of the dust masses of the productive land. 27 When he prepared the heavens I was there; when he decreed a circle upon the face of the watery deep, 28 when he made firm the cloud masses above, when he caused the fountains of the watery deep to be strong, 29 when he set for the sea his decree that the waters themselves should not pass beyond his order, when he decreed the foundations of the earth, 30 then I came to be beside him as a master worker, and I came to be the one he was specially fond of day by day, I being glad before him all the time, 31 being glad at the productive land of his earth, and the things I was fond of were with the sons of men. 32 “And now, O sons, listen to me; yes, happy are the ones that keep my very ways. 33 Listen to discipline and become wise, and do not show any neglect. 34 Happy is the man that is listening to me by keeping awake at my doors day by day, by watching at the posts of my entrances. 35 For the one finding me will certainly find life, and gets goodwill from Jehovah. 36 But the one missing me is doing violence to his soul; all those intensely hating me are the ones that do love death.”

Our Savior Jesus Christ.....The word Christ means "the one that God anointed". Christ is obviously not God, his Father is.

• This is the beautiful Redeemer Jesus Christ.

You do not have to travel back in time to walk with Jesus as you state on your profile. We are called to walk with Him now and listen and obey.

He said that He is God of very God

John 8:58

"Before Abraham was born, I AM"

• 1 decade ago

To the Jew, this passage represents the Jewish people and the nation of Israel.

To the Christian, this is a clear Messianic prophesy regarding Jesus Christ.

• anna
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

The entire passage refers to Jesus Christ.

• Maci
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

The nation of Israel.

I love Isaiah 53, that's the chapter that made me realize I "needed" to convert to Judaism.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.