Sharni Marie asked in PetsRodents · 1 decade ago

Can I use human shampoo on a guinea pig and if not what? ?

Ok before people start saying mild baby shampoo - dont have it ! My guinea is possibly pregnant (10) days if she is and she is a white guinea but she has caramel coloured stomach and 'backside' after they mated (this did not want to be the end result read my other questions before you start critising me. I only have human shampoo i will double check but im bathing her with my friend who gets here in 25 mins so answers appreciated NOW you have until i get out of the shower GOOD LUCK

ok also to people saying its NOT nessacary to bathe your guinea pig i would feel better if i did because she is going to have babies and i would prefer her clean for her sake and the babies

It is not necessary to bathe your guinea pig, but if you want to, you can NOT use human shampoo because it is not specially designed for them. Just wash her with warm water about an inch full in a basin. Dry her off thoroughly to prevent pneumonia.

Johnson's baby shampoo is about the only safe shampoo to use, but you don't have that...

I know this isn't part of the question, but I thought you might want some tips on your guinea pig's pregnancy (just in case.)

Signs of Pregnancy:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Guinea-Pigs-1574/pregne...

Some Tips:

http://www.aracnet.com/~seagull/Guineas/CavyCorner...

Just remember that you should not handle your guinea pig while she is pregnant. Also, she might die during her birth because since guinea pigs are so small it is usually difficult for them to give birth. Be hopeful! Hope this helps.

Source(s): Guinea Pig Owner...Human Shampoo does not work.

Human shampoo isn't safe for ANY animals besides humans. Not dogs, cats, and certainly not the extremely sensitive skin of guinea pigs. If it must be bathed, bath it with guinea pig or rabbit shampoo (they're the same, they are often coupled as "guinea pig and rabbit shampoo.) Otherwise, if it's not caked in dirt, wipe it down with wet clothes, also in the same section as the shampoo. remember to stay away from the ears and eyes, as if these have any contact with the water or shampoo, it could have awful side effects, including death. I'm talking on the phone right now, so I can't write out the steps for giving a guinea pig a bath, message me and i'll send them along to you.

Use either a very mild shampoo or a shampoo for small animals. You really don't need to bathe a guinea pig and you shouldn't. Guinea pigs have very weak hearts and could go into shock and die or die from a cold.

I called my vet to ask her about using "human shampoo" on guinea pigs. She says, "The ONLY human shampoo you should EVER use on a guinea pig is "Johnson's Baby Shampoo" because it's non-harmful and gentle on the skin. Any other "human shampoo" could kill the guinea pig because of the harmful ingredients in it. If the guinea pig is pregnant it can also harm them and possibly be born dead. Kitten shampoo is also safe, as it is delicate shampoo".

Source(s): My vet that treats my chinchillas

Bathing a guinea pig isnt something you need to do regularly. once every three months would do. There is special guine pig shampoo you can buy, but as you dont have any, the shampoo should be fine to use- but remember: not too much, and i wold trey to avoid getting it on her roots, and just focusing on her hair. Also if u have it, dog shampoo is preety good to use, i use it and it is alright for them. If she doesnt need bathed much( like she isnt dirty) you could just wet her using water only, she will clean any dirty spots.

hope this helps :)

i work with small animals regularly and would not suggest using human shampoo on an animal at all. Some of the things added into the shampoos can be very harmful to other animals such as skin allergy's and cause unwanted harm to the animal. If you did want to bathe the animal right now just do it with warm water and ensure that you dry the animal thoroughly as they are prone to getting colds especially in the weather at the moment. If you are able to wait, pop down to your local pet store who would be able to advise you on shampoos which are available to use on small animals, there are plenty available to use!! I would suggest you wait until you have a proper shampoo to use!! Human shampoo is purely for humans NOT animals !!!!!

Actually you can bathe your guinea pig with human shampoo but you have to be careful. One brand of shampoo you can use without fear is Johnson's i think is for babies but its harm free for you piggies. Be careful you don't let shampoo get into your pet's ears or eyes and you also wanna make sure you get him really dry after doing it.

hope this helps!

Yes, you can! That's all I ever used on my piggy just make sure that you don't get it into her eyes.

Bathing a guinea pig will not kill it. Piggies have to be groomed or they will stink just like any other creature!

you can use it but you may not want to bathe it it could get a disease from not drying it properly and the soap you use could affect that also if you do use warm water, dry it quickly after, and make sure you do that until it is done shaking or it could catch ammonia

um no special rodent shampoo is what you need look in yourlocal pet shop

oh and it is necesary to bathe guineau pigs!!!