Linzi LEW asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

ALASKAN MALAMUTE owners/breeders?advice please?

i have loved the look of the alaskan malamute dog for years but dont know anything about them,i was wondering if owners/breeders could tell me a bit about them.i also have 2 very much loved dogs already an 8 yr old male (cross breed) and an 8 month old male (labrador).do you think the saying 3 is a crowd is right ? (somebody also told me that if a malamute was taken off its lead it would never come back(seems ludicrous to me)but im sure you will point me in the right direction.thankyou to you all for your help.

wow!!!thanks for the advice so far its very interesting,i have learned such a lot already.

could i also add that i am home all day my dogs are taken out every morning at 6 am for a 30 min walk then we have an hours playtime about 10.30ish ,we play ball,tug of war ,we do commands etc then we have about an hours walk at 3ish and a short walk before bed ,at weekends we will walk the beach at 6 am for usually an hour and half so my dogs are walked well and i am not lazy with them,

We have owned & rescued Siberian Huskies the past 15 years - our last one just passed away a few months ago. Huskies and Malamutes are basically the same as far as personality. Huskies were bred for speed and Malamutes were bred for power.

They are a very challenging dog to own. Containment is a constant battle as they are escape artists. Our Huskies could climb fences, dig under fences, open gates and break through any under wire electric fence - it just doesn't matter. Once they get free they are completely deaf. Our female Huskies would always come back after an hour or two - our male Huskies we would have to go look for (they each had their favorite neighbor to visit.) If you get one, be sure your neighbors will be friendly about visits and that they will call you when they are blessed with a visit. We had one neighbor that would call and say, "Juneau is here, right now we are eating breakfast together... I will bring him home when we're finished."

They will keep your yard free of any 4 legged critter - you will find trenches dug as they follow the path of a mole. They also love to dig BIG holes to sleep in.

Now, having said all that they are the most wonderful dogs. They have very beautiful souls. They love everyone and welcome all thieves (not good guard dogs). They are wonderful with children - our 4 children couldn't do ANYTHING to upset them. Our rescued Huskies had horrible past lives - but still we never saw any kind of aggression in them to indicate it.

I noticed someone said they howl a lot. Huskies do not bark, but they also do not howl A LOT. The only time we heard anything out of our Huskies is if there was something (an animal they needed to catch) in our yard.

Hopefully this will help with your decision making. If you decide to get one, be sure you're up for the challenge. As challenging as they are, they are also a very rewarding pet.

Best wishes...

ADD: Also be prepared for serious shedding. You will find "tumbleweeds" of fur floating around your yard and house. The worst kind of shedding I've ever seen in a dog. I'm talking HUGE cotton balls.

• Ruth

Do some research. Start with the AKC page and the Alaskan Malamute Club of America. There is a lot of information online and some great books out there. Don't base your decision on an online forum! That being said: Mals are great dogs, but they were developed to be an arctic breed where they had to think for themselves. They are not easy to train, especially for novice owners. Trying to force one into doing something will backfire. Use positive methods and make the dog think it was his idea all along. Unlike some breeds, the Mal will be more likely to think for himself instead of trying to do whatever it is you want. They are smart enough to train you instead of the other way around! Many tend to be dominant. Mals need a lot of grooming and exercise, and you must use great care during warmer weather. This is not a breed that you can leave alone in the yard or kennel all day. They will dig, bark, chew, and become extremely destructive if bored. You need to involve your pup in the family, not leave it by itself. Mals will jump or climb fences just to prove they can. Some tend to be dog aggressive. Many view smaller animals as prey and will hunt and/or kill rabbits, birds, squirrels, cats, etc. They are also prone to health problems if purchased from unreputable sources. Take a few weeks (or more) and do your research. Call and talk to some breeders. Make sure you buy from a REPUTABLE breeder instead of from a newspaper ad or a pet store. Such a breeder will be willing to visit with you and let you know the pros and cons of the breed and assess whether this would be a good fit for you. Anyone who tells you this is the perfect dog for everyone and that there are no bad things about it does not have your best interest or the pups' in mind-- they are merely trying to make a sale.

I have just rescued a malamute, I have only had him a few days, I don't have problems with him that some of the people above have said, I walk him four times a day for a hour each time, he's been off the lead with dogs around he has always come back,,, I think he knows his place in the house as im a true believer that a dog should have good training, The problem i do have at the moment is his coat, i got him off a cpl that didn't have any time for him, they have let his coat become all matted I've been seeking advice from dog grooms about him they all have said he will have to be shaved,, then I've read on the net that you should never shave a malamute, I am brushing him everyday to see if i can get rid of some of the matt's. the smaller ones have come off but he is matted all underneath him and down his tail. Do anyone have any advice how to sort this is it right not to have him shaved, I've never had a dog of this breed before,

Don't ever buy a breed of dog because you like the way they "look". You have to make sure you can provide a good home for the breed you're choosing to own. Alaskan malamutes are working dogs. They need A LOT of exercise and a lot of stimulation, and this can be hard to give them in the cold climate they prefer it in. They get hot in the summer but will still need exercise, and you'll have to give them, yet, a lot of exercise and keep them safe from the heat at the same time. You're asking for trouble if you think you can keep a malamute inside all day without walking it for at least an hour a day.

Other than that, your question is way too broad. Google it, most people on here will only do the same and you should do your own research for something like this. If you're too lazy to do that, you're definitely WAY TOO LAZY to own a Malamute.

-not sayin' you're lazy, but most people are too lazy for these kinds of dogs, or simply are unable to devote enough time to merely exercise these dogs, much less invest even more time to train, socialize, etc, etc. I guess I'm saying just know what you're getting into before you make a such a life changing decision based on your preference of appearance.

Source(s): Zoology/Wildlife Science Major Lab Mix & APBT Owner

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

i have loved the look of the alaskan malamute dog for years but dont know anything about them,i was wondering if owners/breeders could tell me a bit about them.i also have 2 very much loved dogs already an 8 yr old male (cross breed) and an 8 month old male (labrador).do you think the saying 3 is a...

Source(s): alaskan malamute owners breeders advice please: https://bitly.im/jyREn

Alaskan Malamute Club Uk

Some of the advice you have received here is appalling! To find out what the breed is really like, contact people who really know the breed - if you are in the UK, the Alaskan Malamute club is the place to go:

http://www.thealaskanmalamuteclub.co.uk/

Mals are a large Spitz breed and, like most of the large Spitz breeds tend to be same sex aggressive and not overly fond of obedience. They are not the breed for a novice owner. If you did go for one, you would have to get a b1tch or risk your Mal not accepting your other 2 males, even if he grew up with them. Mals are not as bad as Sibes for running away, but they can't be relied upon if let off lead. Since they can and do kill cats and other small furries, they cannot be trusted off lead. You may find it hard to believe, but no amount of training in some of the Spitz breeds will make them 100% reliable off lead.

You do not dominate a Spitz by physical strength - I've never found it necessary to alpha roll ANY dog, a dog learns respect by fair and firm treatment.

Source(s): Owned Spitz breeds for over 30 yrs.

They are several handfuls.

Seriously.

It's very very rare that a Mal will come back when let off it's lead.

They're bred to be very independent, to make their own choices and to rely on themselves.

Their original purpose was long distance, heavy sled pulling.

They are extremely intelligent, and can learn a vast variety of commands.

Bottom line though, if a Mal sees something more interesting while off the lead, it'll go see what it is.

They are extremely loving, extremely well behaved, but not loyal, or obedient by any stretch of the imagination.

They require an AWFUL lot of exercise. An hour a day at the least.

They will easily pull you over if they see your other dogs on the lead, you won't train that out of them so please don't try.

They are extremely lively, love to wrestle.

They are definitely not for everyone, and I don;t think they'd be right for you....

They are extremely strong. If they want to go somewhere, they'll just take you with them, no problem.

My girl is 19 months old. Her favourite toy is a 2ft X 3 ft X1.5" thick piece of marble that she lobes to push and pull around the yard.

I don;t think you'll be able to walk all three of them together, and I don;t think that many people can adequately exercise them separately time wish, as well as tiring you out.

Can you walk another dog on it's own for AT LEAST an hour, every day?

Can you completely dog proof your yard? (My girl can get out of holes no bigger than a rabbit.

Can you deal with tigger type bouncing on your bed at 3am?

They are extremely social dogs, and don't like to be alone.

Best thing is tp look into the history of the breed. Find out what they're bred for.

They are strong both physically and mentally. They will give you rope burn from the leads and they don't usually do well with recall. They are very much like the Siberian Husky in that they have a very strong prey drive and hunt instinct. I wouldn't get another puppy until your cross breed passes or your lab is at least 2 years old. Mals take lots of work and they need homes that will spend the time and energy to make sure they thrive.

Lots of people like the looks of Sibs and Mals, but that doesn't mean that they will make good owners for these dogs. They were designed for long haul journeys in arctic conditions, pulling upwards of 300lbs of weight on sledges. Do you think you can compensate for this kind of exercise regime?

Source(s): Sib, mal, and dobe owner

Hi, I understand that you are looking for some advice or resources to help fully train your dog or fix behavior problems. If a professional dog trainer is not an option at this time, or if you want to trt training your dog on your own (a great way to bond), I'd suggest you https://biturl.im/aUCG0

A friend recommened it to me a few years ago, and I was amazed how quickly it worked, which is why I recommend it to others. The dog training academy also has as an excellent home training course.