How is getting a tattoo different than deciding to wear the same shirt everyday for the rest of your life?

shirt or socks or pants or shoes....basically something you wear.

Basically your saying I like this one thing so much im going to wear it for the rest of my life, so isnt that the same thing as wearing the same clothing everyday?

tattoos fade and have to be touched up so yeah they fall apart and look worse as time goes on, like clothing

Tattoos represent something about you. It's more like hanging a beautiful piece of art on your wall forever, as opposed to wearing a smelly shirt all the time. Clothes are just clothes, they have no personal value after a while. A shirt can't tell a story, a tattoo can.

• Shauni

If you take care of your tattoo and you had a good artist, you shouldn't have to go in more then once to get it touched up (and it should be free).

And no. It's not like wearing the same shirt the rest of your life. People like you who don't understand it make people with tattoos look bad. Tattoos are personal. They have a meaning. To remined you of the good times, bad times, anything. I have a tattoo for my grandmother and my brothers. They mean alot to me and I don't ever want to forget that. There's so much more to my tattoo then what I said. And Yahoo wont let me post it because of how long it is. But It's self expression. Plus, most (I'm using that term lightly) people get tattoos that can be covered up by normal clothes.

So, if your having a bad day or your going somewhere specail (i.e. need to wear nice clothes) you can.

Tattoos are way more personal then most people understand.

A tattoo is usually something personal.

Something that means something to that person and something that someone usually thinks very heard about before chosing.

i have 2 - ones a memorial piece for my gran and the other was something to mark a turning point in my life- one's a runestone and the other's a self design ivy vine which is something no-one else will ever have- a total one of a kind!

Plus tattoos are art.

A shirt, or clothes is just clothing..nothing else really.

It's something a person HAS to wear. I mean how many places can a person really walk around naked?

It doesn't represent anything, it's just someones style- but style changes over the years- unlike reasons for getting tattoos.

Not all tattoos are the same, and people who get tattoos aren't all doing it for the same reason. People who get a tattoo simply because they think they will look cool or because of some fad. Then, yes, they will eventually regret it. On the other other hand though someone who gets a tattoo in remembrance of a loved one, or to represent an important moment in their life (ie: birth of a child) it is not something that will ever go "out of style" and it's a symbol of something that will always be a part of their life.

Tattoos are art, unlike every day clothes. It's more comparable to buying a really expensive piece of artwork that you want to decorate your house with, it amplifies the personality of the house. It's not just an accessory that you toss on like a necklace.

Most tattoos have meaning and/or show part of that person's personality and what they like, it's half about meaning and very much about the tattoo just plain looking cool. People without tatts make the assumption that if it doesnt have meaning it's stupid, it looking nice is just as valid a reason for a tattoo as a dead relative or new phase in one's life.

• me

It isn't any different. My husband has 5 tattoos and even though he still likes them and they are "special" and have meaning to him yadda yadda yadda, he wishes he didn't have them anymore. After 10+ years of having the same thing on you, you kind of get "over" it - at least some people do anyway. If you're still really into your tattoo when you're older then, cool.

Oh and yeah, my husband does have to get his retouched because they have faded somewhat and don't look as good as they used to. It's going to cost him hundreds of dollars to make something that he doesn't even want anymore look less crappy.

• amy

Well the problem with clothes is that htey get dirty and tear up and stuff like that. Tattoos dont have that problem. Plus you can still wear different clothes to show off your style WHILE you keep the cool picture on you. Plus you can cover it up usually when you need to (unless it is somewhere obvious). So i'd say "no"

tattoo has meaning tho personal meaning, clothes well they're just clothes...it is really not the same thing one day u can decide to just wear skirts the rest of your life and not pants...with tattoos once u got them u can decide to have a different one on the same spot of skin thats tatted.

Tattoos don't fade if you take care of them. The new ink now is wonderful.

My tattoos are symbols of the things that mean something to me.

Nothing more, nothing less. I see them as art. Sometimes you see them, sometimes you don't. Clothes mean far less. They are for convenience. I may have a fave pair of jeans, but it's not like the portrait i have of my daughter on my arm. It doesn't mean the same to me.

You either get them or you don't.

Well, they wouldn't get stinky like clothes you wear everyday, and they can usually be covered up with clothes pretty easily.

But I guess I don't see what's so bad about wearing one piece of clothing all the time, (except for the hygiene stuff).