Do you agree or disagree that college might be a bad idea unless you plan on being a Dr or Lawyer?

I watched a news show last night and it was depressing in some ways. Most all of the people interviewed said that if they had it to do over again they would have gone to a trade school instead of college. The problem most college graduates are having is that they can't get a job in their field of study or any... show more I watched a news show last night and it was depressing in some ways. Most all of the people interviewed said that if they had it to do over again they would have gone to a trade school instead of college. The problem most college graduates are having is that they can't get a job in their field of study or any professional field as far as that goes.. One guy had a BS and was working at a call center for 10.00 an hour. His loan debt was 100,000.
A college professor interviewed stated that unless a student ranks better than the top 60% of their HS senior class, they should forget about college because studies find that they won't make it all the way through school.
My question is this, do you feel that the money spent for a college education now days is worth it?
My youngest daughter in taking an IT technical course at the school she attends. She makes excellent grades and can come out of high school as a Network Specialist in the 35,000.00 a year range. We always expected and planned for both girls to go to college. Her teacher told me that the way everything changes so rapidily in this field that she would be sent to classes through her employer.
I'm asking this in Seniors because many have been there and done that either with college or trade school.
Update: Wonderful answers go to everyone! abuelama....glad you spoke about scolarships. They really helped my oldest daughter when she was going to college. When my dad passed in Oct. we established a scolarship in his name. You better believe that my youngest daughter was in the back of my mind when we did this. If... show more Wonderful answers go to everyone!

abuelama....glad you spoke about scolarships. They really helped my oldest daughter when she was going to college.
When my dad passed in Oct. we established a scolarship in his name. You better believe that my youngest daughter was in the back of my mind when we did this. If all goes well with contributions we will be able to award the first scholarship in the spring of 2010 which will be when she graduates.
Update 2: Paul N....thanks for the chuckle....I have to work with a Master Degree HS principal that chaps my a** every day. Educated idiot comes to mind. It really gets to me when I see a complete and utter fool that reached their level of being inadaquate at a profession but kept climbing the ladder over better qualified... show more Paul N....thanks for the chuckle....I have to work with a Master Degree HS principal that chaps my a** every day. Educated idiot comes to mind. It really gets to me when I see a complete and utter fool that reached their level of being inadaquate at a profession but kept climbing the ladder over better qualified people years ago. The school board just keeps renewing the contract 5 years at a time regardless of negative imput they have been given.
I feel so much better now Paul.....thank you. I've wanted to expose this person for what he/she is for a long time.