What's with the thing about Muslim women being oppressed?

I mean before I began to practise Islam, some could say I was a bit of a feminist... But, it's evident that Muslim women were liberated: the high status which Islam gave her at a very early stage, before women in other nations attained anything like it. Over 1400 years ago, Islam proclaimed the full rights... show more I mean before I began to practise Islam, some could say I was a bit of a feminist...

But, it's evident that Muslim women were liberated: the high status which Islam gave her at a very early stage, before women in other nations attained anything like it. Over 1400 years ago, Islam proclaimed the full rights of women for the first time in history, and Muslim women enjoyed human rights centuries before the world had ever heard of human rights organizations or witnessed any "Declaration of Human Rights."

At that early stage, Islam declared that women were the twin halves of men, as stated in the hadith narrated by Abu Dawud, Tirmidhi, al-Darimi and Ahmad. At a time when the Christian world doubted the humanity of woman and the nature of her soul, the Qur'an declared:

( And their Lord has accepted of them, and answered them: `Never will I suffer to be lost the work of any of you, be he male or female: you are members, one of another') (Qur'an 3:195)

The Prophet (PBUH) accepted women's oath of Islam and obedience, just as he accepted that of men. The women's bay`ah was independent of and separate from that of their menfolk, and was not done as an act of blind obedience. This is a confirmation of the independence of the Muslim woman's identity, and of their competence to bear the responsibility of giving the oath of allegiance and making the commitment to obey Allah (SWT) and be loyal to Him and His Messenger. All of this happened centuries before the modern world recognized woman's right to freedom of expression and the right to vote independently. This is in addition to other important rights, such as her independent right to own wealth and her freedom from the responsibility to spend on others, even if she is rich, and her equality with men in human worth, education, and general religious and legal duties. A full discussion of the rights which Islam has given to women, and the respect which it has bestowed upon them, is not possible here.
Update: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywbkH3ogumM&feature=related
Update 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywbkH3ogumM&feature=related
Update 3: It is sufficient to know that the French Revolution of the late eighteenth century produced a human-rights document entitled "Declaration of the Rights of Man and Citizens" The first clause of this document states: "Men are born free and equal under the laws." There was an attempt to add the... show more It is sufficient to know that the French Revolution of the late eighteenth century produced a human-rights document entitled "Declaration of the Rights of Man and Citizens" The first clause of this document states: "Men are born free and equal under the laws." There was an attempt to add the words "and woman," but this was rejected, and the statement remained confined to men only: "Man is born free, and he should not be enslaved." A century later, the great French scholar Gustave le Bon, in the late nineteenth century and early twentieth century, stated in his book "The Psychology of Peoples" that woman had never been equal to man except in periods of decline; this comment came in his refutation of demands that women should be made equal with men by giving them the same right to vote.
Update 4: This is how the situation remained until the advent of the League of Nations, following the First World War, and the United Nations Organization following the Second World War. Women's-rights advocates succeeded in stating the equality of women with men only after a great deal of hard work, because they were... show more This is how the situation remained until the advent of the League of Nations, following the First World War, and the United Nations Organization following the Second World War. Women's-rights advocates succeeded in stating the equality of women with men only after a great deal of hard work, because they were faced with the obstacle of quasi-religious traditions and customs; they did not have access to any text of national or international law that treated women with any measure of justice, which they could have used to overturn these obstacles and free women from the oppressive legacy of the past. Meanwhile, fifteen hundred years ago, Islam had definitively shown, in the Qur'an and Sunnah, that men and women were equal in terms of reward, punishment, responsibility, worship, human worth and human rights.
Update 5: over fourteen hundred years ago
Update 6: Culture and Relgion do not go hand in hand, apart from some traditions culture that comforms with Islam.
Update 7: keypointist: I dont think you have any right to label me as an infedel or heretic, and say that "I'm sure that a lot of muslim scholars would agree with me", what Muslim scholar who follows the correct Aqaidah do you know? and ask yourself to what extent of knowledge you have on Islam. and I took... show more keypointist: I dont think you have any right to label me as an infedel or heretic, and say that "I'm sure that a lot of muslim scholars would agree with me", what Muslim scholar who follows the correct Aqaidah do you know? and ask yourself to what extent of knowledge you have on Islam.

and I took the content above is from a book called, "the ideal Muslimah" by Dr Muhammad Ali Al-Hashimi, which defines the Muslim women by the Quran and the Sunnah.

So please know what you are talking about first, then go accusing people.

a lot of people have no idea what they talk about when they discuss Islam.