Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

How do I make a big pot of soup so I can freeze some for later?

I have a little one year old that really needs to start eating "real food" each day and I am not the greatest at planning ahead or cooking. So I would like some advice or a website that could help me with making up meals (soups, pasta, etc.) that I can freeze for later.

ANY help would make my day!

THANKS

Favorite Answer

I usually don't make complete soups they don't freeze all that well and a good soup is easily and quickly made. What can make you a dynamite soup cook is a good broth. Broths are made from meat and bones, they freeze beautifully and they are really easy. All you have to do is to buy cheap meat, like chicken necks, leg quarters, beef bones etc. and boil them. The process is actually a little more complicated than that but not much. There are a bunch of cooking sites that have more information on making broth/stock than you will ever want to know. You can portion your broth into freezer bags and freeze it for later. To make a good quick soup all you need is boiling broth, add chopped vegetables, pasta or rice or barley and simmer until the vegetables and starch are tender. You can also add any kind of meat you might have, leftovers make great soup. If you are adding raw meat to your soup be sure to add it first and let it cook completely before adding the rest of your ingredients.

For a one year old I would try a split pea soup. This is adapted for a baby:

One pound dry split peas

One pound carrots

One Large onion

Salt, pepper & dry mustard to taste.

Put the peas in a large pot and cover with enough water to make a gallon. Then remove about two cups of the pot water and buzz the carrots and onions in a blender until smooth. Return to pot.

Bring the water to boil, turn off heat, and let sit for one hour. Bring to a boil again and then simmer until done, about 30 minutes. Be sure to stir esp at the beginning.

I normally make this without pureeing the veggies(cook them first then) and add in one pound kielbasa and 1/4c whole grain dijon mustard.

Let cool completely until thick. Put into quart freezer bags and freeze. Thaw in hot water to remove from bag and reheat.

I made the normal version for a restaurant You can make smaller versions by dividing up the peas when they are still dry. Another nice thing is it's cheap to make.

--professional cook.

meatloaf is great just put it in a aluminum pan for cheap and easy clean up for whomever your giving it too. I also love chicken tacos 3c cooked shred chicken 8oz salsa 1 can black beans *drain them you must drain and rinse them 1/2 tbs cumin, coriander, garlic powder heat all this on the stove top once it is cooled place in a gallon ziplock bag lay flat in the freezer. all of this reheats or cooks easy

Most soups and stews will freeze well, as will things like lasagna, meatloaf, and casseroles. Allrecipies.com and foodnetwork.com both have great ideas.