serious question about swollen horse penis?

Our 10 year old gelding, Muffy, has been a medical problem since we got him three years ago. He is a rescue, and was a breeding stud until we got him. Both winters we've had him, he has a drastic weight loss (300-400 lbs.). We've had his blood and stool tested, and he has no parasites or cancer. He has no ulcers, and his teeth were recently floated. We have considered depression (he is a head-swinger), but he eats as much or more grain (Strategy and Equine Senior), and as much hay (field grass and Timothy--no alfalfa) as any of our other horses. About a week ago, Muffy's penis dropped down and developed a swollen area about half-way down. The swelling ended up about the size of a softball, and his penis couldn't retract. Our vet thought Muffy may have been dehydrated and advised us to warm his water a little. He checked for obstructions and strangulation, but found none. He left us with advice to keep the penis cleaned and keep a coating of vaseline on it to protect the skin. He is currently out of town and unreachable. After a week of this condition, we asked a famly friend (a nurse) to look at it. She has helped with the cleaning, and we found two large beans (lima bean sized), but the swelling didn't go down. Earlier today, she lanced the swelling and as of this writing (8 hours later) the swelling is down to about half the size of an apple. I hope and pray this was only an infection which can now be treated as a wound, but I would like to know if anyone has experienced this before, and what could have caused it. Thanks in advance for any help.

Thanks all. I forgot to mention... the vet and we checked for beans first thing, and Muffy was shown this year at 4-H shows, where he was used at a cleaning/bathing class...the vet is due back in town next week, and has many messages waiting for him...Muffy was given three injections (I think two cortizone and one anti-biotic) along with five packets of powdered steroids(one per feeding) after the vet's first visit...He is due for a Quest worming, but we're waiting for this crisis to pass before then.

Thanks again

My other thought is that an insect caused this...you may have insects hiding in your sawdust or other bedding if your horse is stalled. I have seen this reaction from spider and "no see'um" bites. Also any contact dermatitis(skin breakouts or hives) coupled with an open sore or wound can create this situation.

I'd really watch out for lancing anything in the sheath area. (infections) I'd think some cortisone would help this horse and also antibiotics. Do as your vet says and try to reach him when he returns.

Keep track of your horse's temperature and see if it spikes. If it does, he may have a generalized infection. I'd also consider giving him some butte or horse "aspirin" to assist in reducing any temperature and discomfort he might have. Keep up with your vaseline.

I do have a hard time believing that your vet didn't check for "beans" when he examined your horse...negligent on his part.

Good luck and stay on top of his medical condition!!!

Edit: Stay away from antibiotic "dosage amounts" advice given by amateurs...this advice should come only from your veterinarian. Horses can and have had nasty reactions to antibiotics. An anaphylaxic response to a drug is a life threatining situation which requires a load of epinephrine to counteract the effects of the drug. Unless you have "epi" in your medicine arsenal and are familar with its use, be very careful what your horse receives in the drug department.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaphylaxis

Source(s): PE

1

Source(s): Natural Penis Enlargement Solution - http://BiggerPenis.raiwi.com/?ieCF

You need to get a vet's opinion on this. I'm not sure the first vet did the horse justice, you need to try another vet or at least the first one needs to come back out and try to figure out what else it might be other than what he's already checked or tested for. You already said you'd cleaned out any beans, which would have been my first guess, and I'm assuming you're keeping him clean already with all the doctoring you're doing on him, which would have been my next guess. I would not have allowed anyone to lance this other than a vet, being the location it's in. I'm at a loss and it sounds like you're getting a bunch of amatuer advice on here. I rarely need a vet to come out for anything, I do most all of my own vet work. That being said, I would have a vet out on mine if any were to get a condition like what you're describing.

I would give penicillin or other antibiotics to MY horses in SOME instances without calling a vet first, but I've had years of experience. Do not take anyone's advice on here about how much to dose a horse and with what when it comes to antibiotics. You have no idea how experienced or inexperienced these people are. The dosage, method of giving, and how often to give penicillin that was given to you by another person on here is not accurate. I'm not sure your horse even needs antibiotics, you need to find the cause of this condition first and get the vet's advice on treatment.

I have only experienced a swollen sheath on my gelding - his was winter dehydration despite offering water twice a day. I can give you some general advice about infections:

In addition to the vaseline put Furison on it. Furison is oily and looks a lot like vaseline but it helps to heal up wounds better than any other product I've found.

Also - if she lanced his penis then you need to get him a penicillin shot. I would do between 5 and 10 CCs under the skin (NOT in the muscle!) every other day for 10 days. You might also get him a tetnus if possible.

It's probable that those 'beans' were what was causing an irritation. I don't know I would have had a nurse lance something over a veterinarian so you should probably have the vet come and check out the lancing to make sure it's all in good shape.

Anyway - penicillin AND Furison (furison is a MUST). Get the vet out as soon as possible. Make sure you keep offering plenty of water.

also for the record - my family has had horses for +20 years and ridden lots of geldings / stallions. We are on a ranch (tall grass, weeds, etc) and the winter dehydration was the ONLY issue we had. We don't regularly clean sheaths with the exception of the one gelding who had a swelling. Even he just gets it every fall.

Call your vet. That said, its really hard to tell without and exam. I'm not sure a vet can even examine his penis unless the hirse drops it for him. (Read - wait til it drops to pee). You say you had the vet clean up the sheath? This is an owners job. Now mustangs, zebras etc go without cleaning but our domestic horses need their sheaths cleaned. They sell sheath cleaning soaps at rack stores but a mild detergent will do. The important thing is to rinse it well. When bathing your horse you just go into the cavity and start cleaning. A gentle warm hosing into the sheath will soften the smegma so it can be removed. If you check it periodically when washing your horse you should be good to go. Just consider this a job like hoof trimming, teeth floating, picking out the feet etc.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Our 10 year old gelding, Muffy, has been a medical problem since we got him three years ago. He is a rescue, and was a breeding stud until we got him. Both winters we've had him, he has a drastic weight loss (300-400 lbs.). We've had his blood and stool tested, and he has no parasites or...

Source(s): question swollen horse penis: https://biturl.im/6OW0Z

I reported a horse a few months ago who had been left in the cold with his penis hanging out, it would have frozen by the time december came around. The lady I reported him to said that all the amish needed to do was to exercise it to make the swelling go down. It looked like a penis with a softball (big one) at the end. I would ask the vet first, but try to exercise him. Definitely keep it clean, keep him warm as well. My pony though had a lump inside where his penis goes and had surgery to have it removed, though it was cancer. I would try exercising. Anti inflammatory could work too.

Here is something that is way out there since they say it's not been reported in the US for a few years...

DOURINE.

It's a venereal disease and fatal if not treated.

signs: fever, lack of appetite, edema of the genitalia and discharge from the urethra. If allowed to progress, itchy raised areas (plaques) may appear on the side of the body. A progressive muscle paralysis may start at the front of the body and continue to develop until it reaches the hindlegs. In males, penile paralysis eventually occurs.

EDIT: The ONLY time you should give penicillin is when your vet says it's time! It's dangerous if your horse hasn't had it before and if your vet is not there ready with Epinephrine in case of anaphylactic shock!

I almost made that mistake because of a friends urging. I was so distraught I forgot my own common sense. My horse panicked and thank God she did...never did use the PEN.

I tossed it in the garbage. TUCOPRIM or SMZ only from now on.

Source(s): king p234 hpts

I have had beans do this to a gelding. The sheath was bout 3 times normal size. The bean was only about an inch across, but it was just in the wrong place! When I got it all cleaned out, it took about 3 days for the swelling to go down. If blood tests were done, it would have shown if there was any infection. I agree with the penicillin! Hope he is better and doing well. ** Question: when lanced, did anything come out besides blood?

HPTS7 covered it well.

My two cents that I believe is very important or I wouldn't bother adding anything to this question...

DO NOT...take medical dosage advice from ANYONE except your vet. Even something seemingly everyday...like penicillin. People tend to think it's not dangerous. IT IS!! I've been self medicating my horses for over 20 years...I STILL ask my vet for advice over a phone call...before I ever inject my horses...even with something I keep in my own refrigerator. I require a dosage...and how many days...and how many times a day. Plus the means to counteract anaphalactic shock. **I probably spelled that wrong...but I know what I mean**