Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Crate training a whining, howling, crying olde english bulldog puppy, how do I make it stop?

We just brought home our second puppy, an 8 week old olde english bulldog puppy. He whines, howls and cries everytime we put him in his crate. We are trying to crate train him and taking him out for socialization etc. but he continues to do this everytime we put him back. We have tried ignoring him but it just gets louder and worse. We've bought books and have another 6 month old puppy, a bichon frise, who've we had training classes for. When we trained her, the books said to just tap the crate and she should stop, which she did. Now I am seeing people say to just ignore our whiney puppy but when we do, he continues to do it louder. We also take him out multiple times throughout the day and night yet he has had 4 poopy accidents in his crate since we've had him (3 days). Any advice on what we should do?

I am not leaving him in all day, we are putting him in there for short periods of time throughout the day when he cannot be supervised to ensure no accidents and to get him used to it. The crate is a good size for him and he is not pooping in one corner but right where he is sleeping. I too have read that dogs should naturally not potty where they sleep but he continues to do so.

Holy cow, well puppies protest when you put them in the crate, that is normal. At 8-weeks-old the crate should be by the bed with a night light on so the puppy can see you and be reassured. Do not engage the puppy, you are making it worse. You can play a soothing cd or radio. Of course your puppy is having accidents he is only 8-weeks-old. The bladder isn't grown until 6-months-old, and they are not fully potty trained until 1-year-old. They usually stop having accidents around 12-weeks-old, but don't let your guard down that early. I use a crate* to potty train with, but only for potty training and then I break it down and store it. I put blankets and a small food and water dish in the crate. Dogs don't potty where they eat and sleep. When they are first little, I only expect them to hold their potty for 4 hours, and then 6 hours, then 8 hours and so on. So when they are first little, I set a timer or alarm clock to wake myself up at night to take them *out. I only allow my puppy in the bedroom* or the living room, only one room at a time. They have to graduate to more space. If I allow them to have full run of the house, it will overwhelm them. I take them out the same door each time. I tie a dinner bell to the door handle. Do not use a jingle bell as they could get their toe caught in it. So when they are little, I ring the bell for them, and then open the door to go *outside to potty. When they get bigger, I take their paw and whack the bell and open the door to go potty. Eventually getting to the place where the puppy will ring the bell and let me know when they need to go potty. Dogs want to please you, so it is your job to let them know what behaviors please you and what doesn't. So when my puppy goes potty, I give her a treat*, and clap, and make a fuss and praise her. So she learns that going potty outside makes me happy. If she has an accident, make a disgust sound like “tsst” and take her out right away. I never yell* or spank* my puppies. Take them out when they first wake up, after they eat or drink, before nap, finish romping, when their activities change, or when they are sniffing around. Some puppies go pee right away, but may not go poop until 10 minutes later, so wait for the poop.. I have a little play time here, because sometimes I think they are done, and they are not. Puppies train at their own pace. While I may have a puppy that hasn't had an accident in several weeks, I don't let my guard down. I don't expect my puppies to be "fully potty trained" until one-year-old. If they have a setback, shake it off, and start over. I only have my puppies in the crate when I am not watching them. When I am sleeping, cooking, ironing, doing chores, basically when I am not watching her. All other times, she is out of the crate practicing being a "big girl." This is the time I train her how to behave in the house. So we are practicing "no barking", 'no biting", "no jumping", and "don't eat the furniture." I also have to practice "playing inside" so she doesn't knock over things. You must keep the puppy in sight when they are little because they don’t know the difference between newspaper and carpet, and you don’t want them sneaking off and getting into trouble. Some puppies can sleep through the night around 3-months-old, but their bladder is grown around 6-months-old.

REVISIONS:

*I use a CRATE to train with. It is the method I prefer, compared to other methods I have tried. I noticed that if they are in the crate, while I am doing chores, they are o.k., because the crate allows them to see me and be re-assured. The crate can also be a comfort when stored in the basement for dogs who live in areas where thunderstorms and tornados are an issue. . However, use the method that works best for you.....a laundry basket, a cardboard box, a woof-woof house, x-pen, child gates, whatever works for you.

*OUTSIDE, pee pad, litter box, whichever method you are using. When the puppy is first little, keep the pee pad, litter box near the food and water dish, so the puppy can eat and drink, and then go potty. You can move it away as they get older. The pee pad has a scent that smells and initiates potty. Sometimes a pee pad makes a sound that scares some puppies, so you might want to use a litter box if that happens. The pee pad allows a puppy to walk around, but a litter box keeps the puppy in one place.

*BEDROOMS, I use the bedroom and living room for training, because it works for me. Choose rooms that work for you, but watch for rooms that are damp, or drafty. While my puppies sleep in the bedroom during training, once they are trained, I let them sleep where they want to. They don't have to sleep in the bedroom forever.

*TREATS. While I use treats for training, you don't have to. I like Charlee Bears for training (a little cracker for a little mouth,) I use them for training, but once they are trained, I cut back on them.

*SOME PUPPIES will go potty in the same spot each time. Some puppies have to be told to go potty. A command like "go out" for pee, or "go finish" for poop, might work for you, keep saying “go finish” until the puppy poops. This is a good thing to train if you travel with your dogs. By using commands, the puppy won't get confused when you are visiting someone, on vacation with you, or when you get to a new home. The command will tell them what you want them to do in an unfamiliar place. You might also want to use a leash method, so the puppy doesn’t sneak off, or for strange places.

*YELLING. It is not a good idea to "yell" or "spank" your puppy and then take them outside when they have an accident. They may get confused and think that going outside is punishment. While you want to correct them, if you are extreme, they may not want to go outside again. Shake it off, and resume your schedule. You have to keep it real. Puppies train at their own pace, but a puppy can only hold their potty for a few hours. A guide would be 1 hour for each month of age, plus 1 hour, so a three-month-old puppy should only be expected to hold their potty for 4 hours at most.

SOURCE: These tips, tricks, and ideas were contributed from many brilliant minds. Thanks for your help!

• Pat W

You say that you take him out multiple times during the day and night inidicating that he might be in the crate unless he is out pottying or something of the kind. I would howl and cry too if this were the case. Pups need play time, training, mental stimulation, socialization ect... this cant really happen while inside a crate. Crate training is great for over night and while you're not at home but if your home then the pup should be out and able to play and interact with you and the other pup. If there are potty problems then teether him to you with a leash or line so he cant wander off and potty where he isnt suppose to. You've only had him 3 days give him a break he's a baby and needs to get use to his new surroundings and routine, he's scared reassure him dont just bang on the crate and walk away. Put a stuffed kong or chew in with him to keep him busy while in the crate

• Jamie

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awlwp

Heres what I did. Put the crate in your room with your puppy. Your puppy must firstly be introduced to the crate. Try luring him with treats and if goes inside, give him praise and more treats. You should close the door and most likely he will whine. You should ignore this. Look away, and if he stops give him a treat. He will begin to get that whining will get him nothing, but silence will get him treats. After he is well acquainted with the crate. You should sleep with him in the same room with the crate. He may whine a bit, but the best thing to do is ignore him. After a week or two, you should get him familiarize with being left alone. Puppies tend to have separation anxiety and it is better to deal with it now before they turn older. You can try this. Have him enter the crate, and leave the room. He will whine and if he does you have to wait until it stops. Then if he stops for a while, enter the room again. Leave the room, while slowly increasing the time you leave. I suggest that the first time should be 1 min, the second time should be 2 min, third time should be 4 min, and etc. Try this for a week, he should do fine be then. After all the crate training, you can have him sleep in a separate room. Try getting a baby monitor so that you can attend him when he actually needs to go potty. He should be familiarize with the routine for a month or two. Puppies need a lot patience, after all they were just taken from their mothers and litter mates. They need at least 3 months, before they completely forget about them, and get used to you fully. Another thing you can do is buy a hot water bottle, although it had little success with my pups. You can also try giving him something that smells like you, it seems.

he's still very young, you just need to give it time.

A puppy that age needs to go out at least every hour. They shouldn't have more than enough room to turn around in the crate. feed him on a schedule, let him out 10-15 minutes after each feeding. Throughout the night, so long as you aren' feeding it before bedtime, he'll still probably need to gou about 3 hours in.

Keep the crate near you, speak soothingly, but do NOT remove him. Most dogs don't stop the whining until around 10-12 weeks. Slowly move the crate futher away from you to make a gradual trusting transition.

Old English Bulldog Puppy

Your leaving him in a crate all day? He shouldnt be in there when your home...only when you leave or go to bed. Thats why hes crying so much. If you can find a little clock that ticks and out it in there that might help. It mimmicks the sound of the mothers heartbeat. Also, put toys and a blanket in there to keep him busy. Also, make sure the crate is only big enough for him to stand and barely turn around in. If its too big, he will poop and pee in one corner and lay in the other. Most dogs will not poop and pee and then lay in it (although my min pin does). My min pin puppy cried for 2 weeks every night. I just bought ear plugs and used that clock method and eventually he stopped. Good luck!

I hate to say this, but they are right. Your puppy was taken away from its mom and litter mates, and he misses them. He is going to whine, howl and cry. I have a 11 month old puppy that used to whine and cry. He had separation anxiety. So what I did was put his cage by my bed for the first few days until he was quiet, then I moved him into another room. He started to whine and cry again, but I didn't get up to go to him. From my room, I told him to go to sleep. Then I would ignore him. Eventually he got used to sleeping in a room alone, Then after a few days passed, I moved him all the way downstairs to my living room. He knows when it is close to his bed time. I play with him a bit, take him outside to go potty, and put him in his cage. I watch tv for a few minutes and when I shut it off, that is my signal that I am going to sleep. I don't make a production out of it. I get up, check my locks, shut off my lights, make sure nothing has been left on, and then tell him Go To Sleep right before I go upstairs. He sleeps through the night. What you can do about your puppy pooping in the crate is scold him. As soon as you see it say Bad Dog! Take him out, show it to him, and tell him Bad! He has to learn to hold it in until he is taken outside, and that will take some time. You just have to be patient with him until he starts catching on.

Hi, I understand that you are looking for some advice or resources to help fully train your dog or fix behavior problems. If a professional dog trainer is not an option at this time, or if you want to trt training your dog on your own (a great way to bond), I'd suggest you https://tr.im/gNCTw

A friend recommened it to me a few years ago, and I was amazed how quickly it worked, which is why I recommend it to others. The dog training academy also has as an excellent home training course.

We have a new puppy who is now 10 weeks old. Read the book, Before and After You Get A Puppy by Ian Dunbar. It is a fabulous book on positive training, including crate training and potty training. Everyone I know who has gotten a puppy has read this book and we refer to it OFTEN. GO GET IT TODAY!!!

Do NOT yell or get mad at the puppy. He is learning your house rules and will learn them through love and consistency more quickly than if he is afraid of you or learns not to trust you.

Don't ever take the sleeping pills route!!

1. They will damage your liver big time and you can get into serious health problems.

2. You will get hooked up on them and you won't be able to have a normal life any more if you don't take your pills everyday.

The sleeping pills industry is damaging our health by capitalizing on our ignorance, and by distracting people from effective and natural ways to deal with this problem. I had been taking prescription sleep medications [Ambien] for over 5 years. It stopped working and I simply took more. Still did not work. Nights were very difficult - medication put me to sleep but I would wake up after 2–3 hours with a strong sympathetic response (fast pulse, pounding heartbeat, wide awake alert). It was a very difficult cycle to break. I was really in bad shape due to lack of sleep.

After years of struggling I was able to cure my insomnia naturally and pretty fast. I followed the Sleep Tracks sleep optimization program, here is their official web -site if you want to take a look: http://www.insomniacure.net

Ohhh..and Good Luck!

Free Presentation gives you the freedom to change your dog’s behavior forever... - http://kingdomofpets.info/dog-training-202.html

Understand your dog's behavior, train them effectively, and nurture a lifelong relationship that you'll cherish.

In this special presentation you'll discover exactly why it's so important to start training your dog the right way. Important for you, important for your family, and, most of all, important for your dog!

And It'll give you some great hints, tips, and advice to help you turn your dog into the best behaved, happiest, running, jumping, slipper-fetching best pal you always wanted.

These are the very same tips that I spent years perfecting, the very same tips that have worked for thousands of dog lovers just like you.

So get comfortable and enjoy...

Discover Right Now - http://kingdomofpets.info/dog-training-202.html

And If you need find the best dog food you need watch this video.

Discover The Deadly Secret The Dog Food Industry Spends Millions To Make Sure You Never Find Out

I absolutely, 100% guarantee that once you see "dog food secrets™", you will be convinced it can improve the health & add years to the life of your dog

A super-healthy, incredibly-happy dog that stays by-your-side for up to 8.3-years longer than statistically predicted.

Discover Right Now - http://thedogfood.info/the-deadly-secret-202.html

Source(s): Has worked for thousands of people just like you !