Jemma asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 1 decade ago

Will you stop buying clothes from Bonds & King Gee now they won't be Australian made?

With the big job cuts announced at clothing manufacturer Pacific Brands yesterday, some of Australia's favourite brands like Holeproof, Bond, King Gee and Berlei will lose their iconic 'Made in Australia' label. Will you reconsider buying from these labels if the clothes are going to be made offshore?

As several people have already pointed out, the majority of Pacific Brands products have already been produced in China for years now - at least 5 years that I can recall.

We're all to blame for this - producers AND consumers. Producers because they are always after the biggest possible profit. Consumers because we ALL demand quality products at the cheapest possible price.

We're now given ourselves very little alternative because we've driven profit and competition overseas. This isn't just about clothing - have a look at all the other primary production we've driven overseas. We're reliant on other countries for so many of the things we consider essential. It's embarrassing.

And don't just blame Asia and/or China in particular. If you factor in the amount of goods we import from other parts of the world it's even more embarrassing.

The one underhand factor here is the timing - Pacific Brands is trying to use the economic downturn to do something they were already planning. They should have been honest and upfront.

ike Bata or Yakka which last about a squillionth of the time.

I'm not saying that Pacific brands went around it the right way and yes, some sort of package should be available for the workers. Things are tough all over. They're not the only ones losing jobs in the economic down-turn. The mining industry has lost more jobs since the crash than Pacific Brands does, the difference is the media jumped on the Australia Made idea. What can they jump on for the mines?!?

If youre gonna stop buying Pacific brands or insist on buying Australian then don't go to Macdonalds or Hungry jacks, or Woolies, or one of those shops like Crazy Clarkes and The Warehouse who mainly sell imported brands and some of them are actually good. Crazy Clarkes is going into recievership so even though it puts an end to that company and their imports. That will stop Aussie kids having a chance at after-school work and thousands will lose their jobs, but hey, you wont be supporting overseas-own

I enjoy buying only Australian made and Australian grown products because I feel good that by spending my money on such local goods and services that I am in some small way helping other Australians and Australian businesses . I want the money that I spend to stay in Australia . The only time I detour is when I very occasionally buy NZ products such as cheese .

I also absolutely refuse to talk to anyone about a Telstra problem when the call is answered in the Phillipines!!!

On one occasion I had my bank phone me at the airport to tell me they had to cancel my credit card because the bank's back up records kept overseas had been stolen ! No, No ,No !! keep Aussie stuff in Australia - enough is enough !!!

I refuse to buy American oranges , grapefruit and Turkish apricots.

I have always bought , Bonds , Berlie, Hush Puppies, King Gee, etc in the past but if the these well know Aussie icons are going to become Chinese and the money is helping a Chinese economy that is already doing better than most , then I will stop buying them. It is bad enough that our Vegemite and Rosella tomato sauce and Arnotts biscuits went o/s .

Surely the government can help . Or can the company offer the workers a stake in the business - other companies have been saved that way before I believe .

Aussie Pride

I have been a buyer of Bonds and King Gee clothing for so long I can't remember (over 50 years). As a matter of fact, whenever I have gone into a shop to buy my Bonds white and black singlets and underpants and King Gee work clobber, if they do not stock them, I politely tell the staff that I will go to another outlet and get the gear I want there. I will definately not be buying clothing and associated items from Pacific Brands now that they are shutting up shop an moving to an overseas manufacturer. I am sure I can find another manufacturer who makes these items in Australia.

It's free trade and unsustainable mass consumption facilitated by easy to get credit that has caused the GFC - Bonds has been buying factories overseas for years - is the manufacturing going to the factories they own overseas? No-one seems to be asking that question - they may just be using this as an opportunity to do something they planned anyway only now it's convenient under the shroud of GFC.

Because Australia has bought into free trade hook line and sinker there will soon be nothing that is made here - and there was information in the media last year that within 5 years 80% of all food here will come from overseas as well.

Party's over kids - get used to it. The time to be active and buy Australian made was in the past when you could have been working to prevent this trend. Australian made is mostly "from local and imported ingredients" now too.

I need undies - I'll buy what I can afford as long as it's made of cotton - grown in Australia but sucking up all the water that could be used to grow food and feed the Murray Darling - see how its all connected and never ending....

Source(s): Used to be a Pacific Brands Shareholder - thank god I got rid of em at a profit.

Even if we didn't have the economic down turn the world is having now, it would be most likely that "Pacific Brands" would have taken their manufacture off shore.

As it stands there was little option for them if they wished to stay in business.

Against them are their own shareholders who are going too put their money were they can reap the most profit.

Against them are their own work force, unions and government who will not allow a lowering of wages and conditions.

Against them is the overseas competion, where some produce goods at an equal quality at a lower price.

Against them is the overseas worker with much harder conditions to contend with than our Australian work force.

A work force that in some cases has to accept what ever condition are offered just to survive.

It would seem that all "Pacific Brands" have left is the good will of the Australian buyer.

As for myself as an age pensioner, I stopped buying the more expensive goods long ago!!

Source(s): My source is common sense

Yes I will, I'll walk around naked. King gee are crap, perhaps

they will be made better. Hole proof are the worst socks I've ever bought so I wont buy them anyway. As for King gee, I usually buy Yakka anyway. I've never bought based on where they're made, I buy based on tougher wearing. As for Blundstone, I'm a size 13 1/2 shoe. I have two options. I either

buy Blundstone of a badly made shoe like Bata or Yakka which last about a squillionth of the time.

If youre gonna stop buying Pacific brands or insist on buying Australian then don't go to Macdonalds or Hungry jacks, or Woolies, or one of those shops like Crazy Clarkes and The Warehouse who mainly sell imported brands and some of them are actually good. Crazy Clarkes is going into recievership so even though it puts an end to that company and their imports. That will stop Aussie kids having a chance at after-school work and thousands will lose their jobs, but hey, you wont be supporting overseas-owned companies so all good.

Don't support overseas car manufacturers and only buy Aussie made cars, it may diminish our international trade relationships and everyone in the country may live on the street soon but atleast we will be supporting Australian goods. Imports actually help strengthen trade relations.

If you're willing to buy from neighbours, surely you must realise that somewhere along the line they will buy off you.

At the moment our mining resources have taken a beating from overseas sales. That's what's causing our crisis. If you send the message to the world that hey, "we dont want your goods," then they're obviously going to return the favour. So to all you people who insist you have to only buy Australian, think about the 10,000 miners you may just have helped put out of work lately because the Japanese have stopped buying Australian minerals.

If you want to put money back into the economy, buy more Aussie made tobacco products and alcohol since that's where the Government gets the most of it's revenue.

Also buy some American stuff since Wall Street is the economic hub of the world and where the collapse happened.

This in turn may boost the world economy since it's a world-wide recession. To quote the Borg Queen of Star Trek, "You humans think in such 3 dimensional ways"

You only have to look at your favourite sports team and where their sponsorship lies (another part of Aussie culture) Stop buying those products if they're from overseas, no more sports team. Chances are even their uniform sponsor is foreign.

Macdonalds and Hungry Jacks (Burger King) are both Foreign owned and do great community work. Care-flight is sponsored by companies, some of them foreign owned too. They should be boycotted.

Then go into the super market and everytime you see a label that says "produced in Australia under licence to XXXXX using local and important ingredients" don't buy them either and even though you may cost thousands of jobs in the Aussie side of the operation, You won't be supporting foreign companies.

No.

Like ALL apparel manufacturers, Bonds , Holeproof and other Pacific Brands labels have been sourcing from a combination of Asia and Australia for years, while maintaining their quality control and performance. I'd much rather keep supporting their products, knowing that at least the profits are staying in Aus and being used to support other Australian brands like Tontine, Sleepmaker, Malvern Star etc rather than support a foreign owned label like Speedo or someone else.

Source(s): Pacific Brands website

I'll definitely be buying other than a pacific brand, i was a big bonds buyer as it was all my three kids would wear, this included bonds socks, knickers and jocks, i used to be a big berlei buyer, no longer though, what would be the point, it will most likely now come out of factory that makes other brands, so it might as well save myself a few dollars and buy the other import, maybe this Sue who had got a 200% pay rise will have to take a pay cut when the profits of pacific brands falls, which i'm seriously hoping will be the case!!!!! Hopefully they will also now lose their contract with the NSW fire agencies which was worth millions a year to them and good on them for making a stand against these redundancies by taking their business elsewhere!!!!

No as the facts remain this is a world economy and every time a company goes offshore its all doom what a croc.

In case you don't no alot of raw material is bought from country's like Australia to make these products from manchester to machinery in the first place but don't see the chinese or other asian countries complaining.

No they just get on with it , yes its sad that jobs are lost but hey why pay 15 for a bonds tshirt which was made here and frankly quality isn't that superior to some cheaper no brand chinese product as i buy 3 for the price of 1 and guess what in alot of cases they've out lasted the supposedly better quality bonds.

More like paying for a name in most cases.