Sedation for toddler during MRI?

My 3 1/2 year old son sustained a minor head abrasion about 2 months ago. As a precaution, the doctor ordered a CT scan. There were no problems from his abrasion, but the doctor "incidentally noted" an arachnoid cyst, or lesion as they are commonly known. The ER doctor said this is pretty common and... show more My 3 1/2 year old son sustained a minor head abrasion about 2 months ago. As a precaution, the doctor ordered a CT scan. There were no problems from his abrasion, but the doctor "incidentally noted" an arachnoid cyst, or lesion as they are commonly known. The ER doctor said this is pretty common and nothing to worry about as long as he is on track developmentally. Long story short, I freaked and requested a follow up with a neurosurgeon. The neurosurgeon saw him and the CT scan pics and said he believes my son will be fine, but wants to run an MRI just to be on the safe side. Now, all that being said, the nurse informed me that my son will be under sedation because he's so young and has to be completely still for the test. I understand all that but it scares me to think of my little boy being under anesthesia. I have an appt. to go over all the side effects, etc. SO, my question is: Has anyone had their child undergo sedation for an MRI or similar procedure? How did it go? Part of me says absolutely not. I don't want to see him like that. But the other part of me says he needs this MRI so we can be assured he is okay. Any input and stories would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
6 answers 6