Does driving with your headlights on High beam drain your battery?

My son just got his driver's license. My husband died recently, and we don't know much about cars. When he is driving at night, he says that his headlights look rather dim, and only putting them on high beam makes them bright enough to see. But, he says that when he does this, the battery sputters a bit... show more My son just got his driver's license. My husband died recently, and we don't know much about cars. When he is driving at night, he says that his headlights look rather dim, and only putting them on high beam makes them bright enough to see. But, he says that when he does this, the battery sputters a bit the next time he starts the car. (My husband took care of the cars before he died, my son is 17 and never really messed with his car.) So, we need to know if

A. There is some way of testing the lights to see if they are good, or if they need to be replaced
B. Does driving with high beams on drain a battery and
C. Cam you replace headlights yourself? Funds are rather short here right now for repair work.

Any information will be much appreciated!