How long can you leave cooked food out for?

Ive been having this argument with my housemate because she insists on leaving the food she cooks for dinner out, uncovered, sitting on the stove top until she gets home from work the next day. I think this is disgusting. My friends and I have all done food safety courses that say that you shouldn't leave... show more Ive been having this argument with my housemate because she insists on leaving the food she cooks for dinner out, uncovered, sitting on the stove top until she gets home from work the next day.
I think this is disgusting. My friends and I have all done food safety courses that say that you shouldn't leave cooked food out for any longer than necessary between certain temperatures.
But my housemate has been trained by a really good hospitality school and she says that you can leave stuff out for 24 hours as long as there is no meat in it (mind you- she still does it with meat dishes.) I think this is crap.
I feel like calling up her school and asking them if its true.
Do I have a leg to stand on here? Or is my housemate right?
Update: Actually there have been mice about... its really frustrating. And my housemate is always complaining that she is sick- without even a thought about what she is eating. Thank god she isnt working in a restraunt- the school she is going to is supposed to be the best in Australia so I hope they are not churning out... show more Actually there have been mice about... its really frustrating.
And my housemate is always complaining that she is sick- without even a thought about what she is eating. Thank god she isnt working in a restraunt- the school she is going to is supposed to be the best in Australia so I hope they are not churning out chefs with these habits!