Question about old Honda CB motorcycles (rust inside tanks)?

I have been searching for a good beginner bike and have been looking at old '70's era Honda CBs. Every time I find one it seems to have rust inside the gas tank. Is this a big deal? Is it easy to fix? What else do I need to know? Thanks.

Not a big deal.

Remove the petcock and clean the screen.

Rattle some bolts or clean pebbles around inside to remove anything that may come loose. Rinse well, and do it all over again.

Put the petcock back in and install a clear inline filter so you can see if anything happens later.

Source(s): I cleaned my tanks and never coated them. I hear good and bad about Kreem, I hear good about POR15. I have not used either.

It'll be hard to find any 70's era bike that DOESN'T have rust in the tank. There were a TON of CB's sold in america though, so that might lead you to SOME parts availability.

If you're looking into that style bike, check out a late 70's to early 80's Yamaha XS650. These were sold for over a decade and there's a LOT of parts availability, even new parts. (including new gas tanks) Check out Mikes XS, LOTS of stuff, and fun bikes to ride!

No big deal. Might plug up a fuel filter. First throw an inline filter in. Remove the tank, throw some nuts or ball bearings in it and shake. Than Rinse with gas several times, and use a quality tank sealer and seal the tank. Some rust will remain but it wont fall into the carb.

as long as there is no rust through the tank, its no big deal. i usually blast them out with a pressure washer (or take it to the car wash) then let it dry thoroughly. you can seal it with gas tank sealer such as red kote or kreem, but its not necessary if you get rid of all the loose stuff. make sure you install an in line filter, and change it often.

I have heard the product POR 15 is very good. What I have read is you need to follow the instructions to the letter.

I have seen good explanations of using the electrolysis method. Sadly the link I had with good pictures in no longer available.

I did come across a couple of other sites with good information.

Good Luck

More importantly, many many of the parts for that bike will be discontinued. I wouldn't buy a bike that old unless it's for restoration or collectible purposes because if it breaks, you may not be able to get parts to fix it.

Rust in the tank means consistently dirty filters and carbs.

If you must go that way, there is a product called Kreme that will coat the inside of the tank, and even that often yields only temporary results.

Beginner bike? Consider a dual purpose. Easy to ride, economical and fun, and you can take them anywhere!