blue scissors asked in SportsCycling · 1 decade ago

can bikes have review mirrors?

I know it's a silly question but I'm new to biking (not motorcycles I mean regular 10 speed biking) and I get nervous riding in traffic (although law in my state says I have to and cannot be on the sidewalk). What makes me most nervous is going around parked cars or piles of leaves in the bike lane since I can't see what the cars are doing behind me. I'm not confortable turning around because I'm so new to biking I'm afraid to take my eyes off what's in front ot me. Can a bike have a review mirror? Where can I buy one?

It is absolutely not a silly question!

Bikes come with handle-mounted review mirrors, but these are dependent on whether your handles/wheel are straight or not. (If you're going around a sharp bend, the mirror becomes somewhat useless.)

They have neat little mirrors that attach to your helmet, which you should be wearing at all times anyway (and these days *not* wearing a helmet makes you look foolish, as opposed to the opposite, back in the 80s lol).

They come in many shapes and sizes. Here is an example:

http://www.amazon.com/Blackburn-01002-Bike-Helmet-...

But I would look for a more rectangular one that is slightly convex so you get a wider view of what's behind you.

There are any number of mirror options available to you. However, given that mirrors are subject to blind spots, vibration distortion, etc; and that there is a tendency to become fixated on the mirrors rather than paying attention to what is ahead - I'd encourage you to practice actually looking behind you while holding your line. It does take practice, but you will have a much clearer view of what is behind you. Also practice auditory awareness. Listen for vehicles approaching from behind and don't get surprised.

There are many different type of mirrors. Get one for your bike and another one for you sun glasses or helmet. Mirrors have blind spots so always turn around and look when making a left turn.

http://bicyclesafe.com/

yes the mirrors mount right in front of the hand grips - just like on a motorcycle. search google or ebay for "bicycle mirrors"

you drive right? when learning how to drive, your instructor should make sure you do head checks(fully turning your head) before switching lanes..its the same principle when ridin..and after some time..youll prolly find that mirrors are unnecessary for a bicycle

• ?

Yes you can get a mirror that either mounts on your handle bars or on your helmet, check your local bicycle shops.

yes you can get ones that bolt on to hdlbar or in end of hdlbar or ones that clip onto your helmet. geek look. i just learn to control bike and look over shoulder. get from any bike shop or walmart has them now too.

No, but they can have side-view mirrors.They sell them that attach to your helmet,or the handlebars.

yes but it;s better to have one on your helmet

a. they don;t vibrate

b. they are 'bigger' - more of your field of vision

c. you can point them where you want to see

wle

you mean a rearview mirror?

and look for one on ebay....or make one