Why are the "Seven Deadly Sins" so deadly?

Hi guys. Alright, I've been watching these "Seven Deadly Sin" shows all day on the history channel. I'm not religious, so I guess I'm just having a hard time understanding why the Seven Deadly Sins are so bad. It's saying that even thinking of committing the sins are as bad as committing... show more Hi guys. Alright, I've been watching these "Seven Deadly Sin" shows all day on the history channel. I'm not religious, so I guess I'm just having a hard time understanding why the Seven Deadly Sins are so bad. It's saying that even thinking of committing the sins are as bad as committing them; Why?

I've lusted. I've been a glutton. I've been greedy more than once. I've committed sloth more than once; sloth is often associated with depression and melancholy. So is every depressed person committing the sin of sloth? I've been angry several times, even wrathful. I've been envious. And I've been prideful.

Why are these "sins" so bad? What happens when you commit them? Is it different for each religion?

I'm just curious :o) I appreciate any helpful answers - thanks guys!
Update: And also, why is money the root of all evil? I mean...a good amount of churches thrive off of donations of MONEY. Even the want of money is considered evil...why?
Update 2: So it's rooted from Catholicism?
Update 3: Wow...these aren't exactly the in-depth answers I was hoping for.