Why are the "Seven Deadly Sins" so deadly?

Hi guys. Alright, I've been watching these "Seven Deadly Sin" shows all day on the history channel. I'm not religious, so I guess I'm just having a hard time understanding why the Seven Deadly Sins are so bad. It's saying that even thinking of committing the sins are as bad as committing them; Why?

I've lusted. I've been a glutton. I've been greedy more than once. I've committed sloth more than once; sloth is often associated with depression and melancholy. So is every depressed person committing the sin of sloth? I've been angry several times, even wrathful. I've been envious. And I've been prideful.

Why are these "sins" so bad? What happens when you commit them? Is it different for each religion?

I'm just curious :o) I appreciate any helpful answers - thanks guys!

And also, why is money the root of all evil? I mean...a good amount of churches thrive off of donations of MONEY. Even the want of money is considered evil...why?

So it's rooted from Catholicism?

Wow...these aren't exactly the in-depth answers I was hoping for.

Favorite Answer

Most people today do not think of themselves as unclean, tarnished, or sinful. In fact, sin, as a word, has practically vanished from most people’s vocabulary. They will perhaps talk about errors, indiscretions, and miscalculations. But sin? Hardly! Even to those who still claim to believe in God, “his teachings constituted a set of moral beliefs rather than a moralistic code, the ‘10 suggestions’ rather than the 10 commandments,” observes Alan Wolfe, a professor of sociology.

What is the outcome of this way of thinking? Denial of, or at least the ignoring of, the reality of sin. This has produced a generation of people with a badly distorted sense of right and wrong, who feel free to set their own standards of behavior and feel responsible to no one for whatever they choose to do. To such people, feeling good is the sole criterion in judging whether a course of action is proper or not.—Proverbs 30:12, 13; compare Deuteronomy 32:5, 20.

For instance, on a television talk show, young people were invited to express their views of the so-called seven deadly sins. “Pride isn’t a sin,” declared one participant. “You’re supposed to feel good about yourself.” Regarding sloth, another said: “It’s good to be like that sometimes. . . . Sometimes it’s good to sit back and give yourself personal time.” Even the narrator provided this succinct comment: ‘The seven deadly sins are not evil acts but, rather, universal human compulsions that can be troubling and highly enjoyable.’ Yes, gone along with sin is the feeling of guilt, for, after all, guilt is the very opposite of feeling good.—Ephesians 4:17-19.

In sharp contrast with all of this, the Bible plainly states: “All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” (Romans 3:23) Even the apostle Paul acknowledged: “I know that in me, that is, in my flesh, there dwells nothing good; for ability to wish is present with me, but ability to work out what is fine is not present. For the good that I wish I do not do, but the bad that I do not wish is what I practice.” (Romans 7:18, 19) Paul was not here indulging in self-pity. Rather, because he fully realized how far mankind has fallen short of God’s glory, he felt all the more painfully sin’s grip on the fallen flesh. “Miserable man that I am!” he declared, “who will rescue me from the body undergoing this death?”—Romans 7:24.

Nowadays we have more than 7 things to be careful of. In 2 Timothy 3:1-5 it tells us what will be happening in our time. I'm sure you can see these things yourself, right?

2 Timothy 3:1-5 says...3 But know this, that in the last days critical times hard to deal with will be here. 2 For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, self-assuming, haughty, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, disloyal, 3 having no natural affection, not open to any agreement, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, without love of goodness, 4 betrayers, headstrong, puffed up [with pride], lovers of pleasures rather than lovers of God, 5 having a form of godly devotion but proving false to its power; and from these turn away.

And money is not the root of all evil, the bible says the LOVE of it iswhat causes problems for some people, think about it, people will sale their life for money.

1 Timothy 6:10 says....For the love of money is a root of all sorts of injurious things, and by reaching out for this love some have been led astray from the faith and have stabbed themselves all over with many pains.

The seven deadly sins is a list originally used in early Christian teachings to educate and instruct followers concerning (immoral) fallen man's tendency to sin. The misconception about the list of seven “deadly” sins is that they are sins that God will not forgive. The Bible is clear that the only sin God will not forgive is that of continued unbelief, because it rejects the only means to obtain forgiveness—Jesus Christ and His substitutionary death on the cross.

Is the idea of seven deadly sins biblical? Yes and no. Proverbs 6:16-19 declares: “There are six things the LORD hates, seven that are detestable to him: (1) haughty eyes, (2) a lying tongue, (3) hands that shed innocent blood, (4) a heart that devises wicked schemes, (5) feet that are quick to rush into evil, (6) a false witness who pours out lies, and (7) a man who stirs up dissension among brothers.” However, this list is not what most people understand as the seven deadly sins.

Listed in the same order by both Pope Gregory the Great in the 6th century, and later by Dante Alighieri in his epic poem The Divine Comedy, the seven deadly sins are as follows: pride, envy, gluttony, lust, anger, greed, and sloth. Although these are undeniably sins, they are never given the description of "the seven deadly sins" in the Bible. The traditional list of seven deadly sins can function as a good way to categorize the many different sins that exist. Nearly every kind of sin could be placed under one of the seven categories. More importantly, however, is that we realize these seven sins are no more “deadly” than any other sin. All sin results in death (Romans 6:23). Praise be to God, that through Jesus Christ, all of our sins, including the “seven deadly sins,” can be forgiven (Matthew 26:28; Acts 10:43; Ephesians 1:7).

Committing sin makes it easier to commit more sin. This habit becomes vices by committing them over and over. This changes a person's mental attitudes and inclinations which clouds her or his conscience and corrupts the judgment of what is good and what is evil.

The Seven Deadly Sins are these vices that develop through habitual sin. They are called deady because they engender other sins and other vices.

Here are the seven holy virtues as opposites to the seven deadly sins. According to Dante's The Divine Comedy the sins have an order of greatness, and the virtues a respective order of greatness as well. This order is shown below from the lowest to the highest.

+ Holy Virtues +

Chastity (purity)

Moderation (self-restraint)

Generosity (vigilance)

Zeal (enthusiasm)

Meekness (composure)

Charity (giving)

Humility (humbleness)

+ Deadly Sins +

Lust (inappropriate desire)

Gluttony (over-indulgence)

Greed (avarice)

Sloth (laziness)

Wrath (anger)

Envy (jealousy)

Pride (vanity)

The history of this list goes back at least to Pope St. Gregory the Great and St. John Cassian, but while the list itself is not strictly biblical, the Bible proscribes all seven.

Some point to Proverbs 6:16–19 as the seven deadly sins:

There are six things the LORD hates,

yes, seven are an abomination to him;

Haughty eyes (pride),

a lying tongue (lying),

and hands that shed innocent blood (murder);

A heart that plots wicked schemes (intrigue),

feet that run swiftly to evil (readiness to do evil),

The false witness who utters lies (false witness),

and he who sows discord among brothers (stirring up of discord).

With love in Christ.

I don't believe myself there is such a thing as a deadly sin. They are more guidelines to help us avoid committing acts that are harmful and generally bad. However, if you can at the end of your days stand before god and justify your life, I think sins can be forgiven. God will look into your heart and know the reasons why you acted that way and know if your intent was good or bad. People can be greedy in order to establish a better life for their families; some people can experience gluttony for love and not just food.

Life doesn't have simple answers

These are things that are not sins in and of themselves but normal human drives that can lead to sinful behavior if allowed free rein.

The Catholic church embellishes big time,read Proverbs 6:16-20.

ALL sins are deadly. Romans 6:23

because the church that invented them knows that if people believe them doing (or not doing things) will send them to hell, they are much easier to control. thats why

"Catholicism is not Christian. Catholicism teaches a false gospel of works that leads to eternal torment in hell (Galatians 1:6-9).'

go **** yourself. most of the church has left your kind behind a long time ago.

It all depends on what you believe. I don't think their deadly, because I've done alot of that and I'm not dead. (or AM i...? XD jk)

Because God said it and we believe. Trust and Obey--there is no other way. If you don't like it--it's your problem and you need to change. If it doesn't make sense to you--it's your problem, and you need change.