Can Black people be racist against white people?

Broadly speaking I'm researching racism and its origins. What i found interesting is that racism is a fairly recent abhorrence, that really only goes back as far as the African slave trade. Prior to the slave trade all were regarded pretty much as equal. For example in the age of Rome while people of... show more Broadly speaking I'm researching racism and its origins.
What i found interesting is that racism is a fairly recent abhorrence, that really only goes back as far as the African slave trade.

Prior to the slave trade all were regarded pretty much as equal. For example in the age of Rome while people of course were slaves, anyone could become a slave as anyone had the potential to rise up to high office, colour wasn't really an issue.

Four hundred years of African slavery, of treating one race as an inferior i think is still in the subconscious of most white people (i myself am white and English) . Though the UK was one of the main protagonists in ending slavery there is obviously still racism in the Uk as there is everywhere else.

Now I could keep blabbering on for hours on this, but i'm just wondering while black people have a justifiable reason to feel angry about the slave trade it doesn't mean they are racist against white people.......

I was thinking of asking a few black friends of mine about this but, its obviously a sensitive issue so i ask all of you first.