Black people. Read and what are your thoughts?

The implications of constant reinforcement of Euro-centric ideals of 'beauty' displayed in magazines, television, etc on the black African American women deeply scar their psyche from these images. Eurocentric ideals of beauty are ‘Euro’, being light-skinned, with straight light hair (preferably blonde),... show more The implications of constant reinforcement of Euro-centric ideals of 'beauty' displayed in magazines, television, etc on the black African American women deeply scar their psyche from these images. Eurocentric ideals of beauty are ‘Euro’, being light-skinned, with straight light hair (preferably blonde), and light eyes (especially blue-eyed). African female features in particular are especially not celebrated to the extremes of Eurocentrism.

Black women are the biggest consumers in the hair industry in the US, purchasing relaxing products, straightening creams, wigs and hair extensions. Although they make up only 10% of the market, these women are obliged to consume beyond the majority.

What is the struggle between a Black woman and her hair? What creates this attitude? Black women do not believe their short ‘nappy’ coiled hair is attractive because no prominent black women wear their natural hair proudly (Neither do popular role models). As one gazes at the few promoted black women who are leading faces, there is an obvious trend amongst them all. In particular to the hair, none of which you may find is of their true human makeup. All of them either relax their hair (relaxer diminishes “frizz”), get weaves (human hair that is stitched into the scalp), or get hair extensions.

Prime examples of this are model Tyra Banks, music stars Beyonce Knowles and Rihanna, television talk-show host Oprah Winfrey, and many more, even the first lady of the United States, Michelle Obama. Each of these women can only be seen with hair that is against their natural image. They are influential African-American female role models, and yet they are unable to project their true identity as natural black ambassadors and spokespeople to the wider fragile African-American community.

Still today, fairer skin tones are promoted in all aspects of media.society that glamorizes the European standard of beauty, without ever proper representing the image of.

In an image-conscious culture which stresses deep significance on appearance this is nothing but destructive. A society obsessed with looks trains females to think they have to mould into a certain image in order to become successful, accepted, and beautiful.

To recycle European ideals of beauty in a multicultural society is past its time

Eurocentric ideals of beauty has stretched its tentacles to the far reaches of the globe, strangling the self-esteem of females who physically conflict with these standards, and also affecting males who are coloured with the same notions in how they seek in a beautiful mate. African featured women in the media by far suffer the greatest from this often overlooked issue in today’s modern society. It is so deeply rooted that it goes unchecked by the majority of those who observe media. When images are constantly reinforced and regurgitated each day, one begins to believe solely in what they are shown.

Don't take it too harshly. Black people and the community have a lot to deal with and they have to strengthen their own before anything will be resolved.
What are your views? I sympathize with the black community.

The black community needs to have pride in who they are and strengthen their fragile community. You are still misguided and shackled under the colonisers.

This a serious question. Honest opinions. Please educational discussion.

Tons of research and critical thinking, observation etc. Media/Communications studies student.
Update: Isn't it sad that this system has made the black community hate each other over small things? Blacks have still yet not been liberated.
Update 2: Yes Ms Trust I wrote this! These are form my essay. I actually wrote a college paper on this topic. I am very critical. It's my passion.
Update 3: PEOPLE PLEASE DON"T ATTEMPT TO ANSWER IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING INTELLIGENT TO REPLY WITH.

WHO CARES IT"S JUST HAIR?? C'MON PLEASE>
Update 4: I notice black people do not help their cause. They push it off and make it look trivial.

It is very deep psychological damage going on here.
Update 5: SPUDDY- I am actually not part if the African American community. I live in New Zealand so I am not making excuses for anyone. I am just clearly making an observational point. Isn't that F'D up though? This world is a very deranged world. The 'COLONISED' strive to be white and lighter and the whites... show more SPUDDY- I am actually not part if the African American community. I live in New Zealand so I am not making excuses for anyone. I am just clearly making an observational point. Isn't that F'D up though? This world is a very deranged world. The 'COLONISED' strive to be white and lighter and the whites want to tan and become BROWN??

The system is at fault. It was built on a colonial back, it was wrong from the beginning, is still wrong and will always be wrong.