j asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsPainting · 1 decade ago

What does it mean to write a Cultural Frame... ?

Post modern frame, structural frame & subjective in visual arts ?

• Sport

Cultural frame - The influence of society or cultural identity in artworks- race relations. gender concerns, class/social status, politics, religion & economics

-scientific & technological innovation.

- in this frame we ask ourselves why and artwork is made & what is its purpose.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_cultural_fra...

"Post Modern defies what a novel should be"

http://european-literature.suite101.com/article.cf...

"Post Modern books that defies what a novel should be."

"A frame is a way of analysing an art work. The art frames consist of the Cultural Frame, the Subjective, the Structural and the Post-modern frame. The Post-modern frame is where in order to analyze and interpret an artwork the viewer takes into account the post modern and contemporary influences and how this effects the making of the artwork and the meaning of an artwork. It is used to examine how the changing context of works can influence the interpretation of an artwork."

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_post-modern_fram...

If this is a school assignment your teacher is being a kind of a tough $#%@^& !!!

Post-Modern" by its very nature tends to defy definition.

(Perhaps you are in a graduate level course and the difficulty of this question is appropriate.)

Try this definition on for size:

"Post Modern - A theory that involves a radical reappraisal of modern assumptions about culture, identity, history, or language taken to the extreme."

I'll try to help you out Lala and try to explain it as best as I can with an example: Every culture sees the world in a different way. For an example of this I'll use Frank Stella, called by many the most influential artist of the 70's. Stella was a brilliant Ivy League graduate student... history major, not art, who wrote in his Master's thesis, and demonstrated, with his art works the way medieval people saw (interpreted) their visual world.

These (new to us) medieval insights were a tremendous influence on new ways of "seeing" and therefore opened new ways expressing art for us in the twentieth century.

Post Modernism calls on artists in every form and medium to see in new ways by looking at the old ways of seeing in intense, extreme and exaggerated ways. (That is still a bad description; although it is the best I can do at 6:30 A.M after staying up all night with a friend who I drove to the hospital last night) (YA is my way of coming down before retiring to the bedroom.)

I find this particular question extremely interesting because for the past six months I have been illustrating a fascinating book about two cultures who each experience the exact same events in totally different ways. Each interpretation is valid and supportable from an affective (emotional) perspective as well as a rational-logical perspective. The author makes a conscious effort to not favor one or the other interpretation of the "true" reality. He asks for illustrations that also show no preference one way or another. In other words, each culture has its own frame for truth and beauty.

If I were the school administrator I think I'd have I'd have a talk with your teacher. This is a very challenging assignment.

Realize that your job, as a student, is to just jump through the hoops as best as you can.

I hope this answer helps you in some way.

Good Luck!

EDIT:

About Maturin's mistaken post:

I just read maturin's response that Post Modern does not "defy description.' I didn't make that up from personal opinion. I'm not being creative here. I am merely repeating the popular saying that commonly pops up with discussions about anything trying to describe Post Modern. A close friend wrote a post-modern dissertation has won three national wards as dissertation of the Year. Dr. Sheri Leafgrin's "Ruben's Fall" repeats, as do knowledgeable authors, about how the term "Post Modern" defies accurate description by the very nature of the theory:

http://books.google.com/books?id=YQ6E_w1-IaYC&pg=R...

(Dr. Leafgrin invited me to Oxford to present to her students just two weeks ago)

PA4&dq=post+modern+defies+description&source=bl&ots=5T6Tj_ud0I&sig=ESt9L1pnUorHXgtwGfUZqooaQ1M&hl=en&ei=xwQISvzKGIa0Nfnw6KID&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1

"In many ways, the word "postmodernism" defies description"

http://www.yareah.com/magazine/index.php/issue-5-n...

Next Maturin questions the widely accepted description of Frank Stella tremendous influence on art. I studied with Darby Bannard, who was Stella's roommate, and good buddy at Princeton, and editor of Art Forum magazine, who I believed may have coined that of heard Stella term ' most influential artist of the 70's".

My very first goggle on Frank Stella says:

"Stella, Frank." The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Art and Artists. 2003. ... "American painter, was one of the MOST DOMINANT AND INFLUENTIAL figures in abstract art".

I was actively showing and teaching College in the 70's so I am well aware of the influence of the painting giants of that time period. Perhaps Ireland isn't as nearly aware of the American Superstar artists as they should be.

Check this site that says:

"He (Stella) is one of the very few people in the American art world to receive two major exhibitions at the Museum of Modern Art in New York City, and one of the fewer to receive almost continual lauding by Museum director of painting and sculpture William Rubin. In fact, according to one source, "it is hardly an exaggeration that MOMA treats Stella as Jackson Pollock's true dauphin in the lineage of American abstract painting" (Hughes 83)" http://www.research-assistance.com/paper_list.php?...

Even though I live in Ohio I traveled 1300 miles to Houston to hear Stella speak at the River Oaks Country Club. He was absolutely brilliant.

How about coming up with a more relevant example of this rather difficult to grab hold of concept than Frank Stella? I thought of other possibilities, but as an experienced educator, I realized that Stella was an excellent, well-known, practical example.

Instead of attacking my answers how about spending your energies trying to help Lala with this challenging question by providing another story of a more concrete, more practical, even more clear or concise or understandable example?

(I get testy, and exhibit examples of "creative spelling", when I am experimenting with sleep deprivation. I've been up all night and helping people on YA, and learning from YA, is a great way to defuse when I am wound too tightly.)

Perhaps this question will attract the attention of another of my art world heros.. the YA Super Top Contributor "Guess Who At Large". I have confidence that G.W.A.L. is one person who will be able to give you a complete and wonderfully written answer to your challenging question.

Source(s): 30 years experience as a college and high school art teacher and building and central office administrator, and a life time of being a practicing artist.
  • nerte

Cultural Frame

The cultural frame (or framework) of a piece of art is it's social and cultural context.

Artists are nearly always influenced in some way by what other artists have done in the past and what their contemporaries are doing, they are also influenced by other events, social, political, economic, cultural, etc. The combination of these influences is the context (frame) within which an art work is created.

Post-modernism does not defy definition. It was originally a term applied to architecture that had moved away from the Modernist style (form follows function, no extraneous detail or decoration etc) and was using an eclectic mix of styles and forms derived from various periods.

It soon became applied to any art form that used similar ideas.

"Subjective" refers to the personal response of the viewer.

PS. Frank Stella was important in the 70s but not "the most influential" artist.

What is "midevil"? some sort of half-baked black magic I presume.

PPS. Ooer! All I did was to mildly disagree with a viewpoint.

Frank Stella's importance is a matter of opinion, others might not concur with the cited sources. Also I notice that it's been modified from "artist" to "in abstract art".

"Sports" says you can't define post-modernism and then proceeds to try and do so. All I suggested was that a definition of sorts already exists.

There's no need to take things so personally.

(The somewhat snobbish comment about Ireland is unnecessary and irrelevant. I was born in the UK and studied Fine Art for many years in London. I'm fully aware of American "superstar" artists and their importance.)

• Diane

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/aw2Wr

Cultural: talk about what was going on in the world at the time the artwork was made that might have influenced the artist to make it. Cultural frame is about context. Subjective: Talk about what the artist wanted to say through the artwork and how the artwork might make an audience feel. Subjective frame is about emotions and thoughts. Structural: Describe the art work. Talk about how it's made, the materials used, the medium, the size. Also talk about things like colour, perspective, lines, tones etc. and how this helps convey meaning. Post Modern: This one's harder. Characteristics of post modernism is appropriation, recontexturalisation, trash aesthetics, found objects, text, irony. The best way I can explain post modernism is that it's about challenging traditional conventions. For example, when talking about Marcel Duchamp' s "L.H.O.O.Q" through the post modern frame you would say how it is an appropriation that uses irony to challenge traditional artistic values. Hope I helped :)

very confusing matter. do a search with google. that will could actually help!

challenging matter. browse from the search engines. it can assist!