What meals to cook for family whose loved one passed away?

Several of us are providing entire meals each day of the week for a very dear friend of ours whose husband just died in a sudden way. I am needing some ideas of what meal to prepare while family is in visiting-something really good and comforting...as well as anything that should go with it...bread, vegetables,,,ect.

Soup.. you can freeze it and they can use it for weeks.. Pumpkin or vegetable soup.

My brother died two months ago and loved food, I mean really loved it, and so many different kinds. We celebrated this by preparing the ones he liked and it was a wonderful memorial. Not that you should do that, but I wanted to share.

I would make a pot of chile, a lazagna, both "travel" well.

Baked rosemary chicken is yummers.

Chicken in a mushroom sauce, really campbells soup makes a wonderful Sau de champinion, called "cream of mushroom soup" that has tons of chicken recipes.

You want it to be nice food that is simple and easy and delicious for those in your life that need comfort.

One of those big chocolate cakes from Costco or the tray of oversized muffins will provide for some bereavement grazing.

You are kind. All the answers here are quite good, the serious ones, so have some fun with it and wish them your best.

That's a really touching thing to do, as preparing meals is the last thing a bereaved person needs to be concerned about. Best to make something which is easy to heat up again if you are cooking. We did this for some friends who had a baby and actually gave money for a takeaway; this was because sometimes people do not want to be bothered at all, and can just order something

I think a typical meal/dinner would help. (Comfort food)

Here are a few ideas:

Mashed potatoes

Mac & Cheese

Fried chicken

Baked Chicken

Stuffing

With vegetables (Corn, peas, String beans)

Maybe a lasagna with a salad and bread on the side

cheesy potatoes with ribs

pasta with vegetables

• Toffy

Oven Roasted Chicken, Mashed Potatoes, Gravy and Mixed Veggies, bread or Muffins would be very delicious and welcomed.

Generally, Casseroles do quite well. Muffins, or Bisquits a go with.

Lasagna, Garlic Bread, Green Salad.

www.allrecipes.com is my favorite place for recipes just look up casseroles....

Sympathies to you and your friends family

Any kind of casserole dish. A lasagna is something you can pop into the oven to heat of real quick and it goes a long way. Serve it with a salad and some Italian bread and you can make anyone happier.

Things like homemade breads, mac n cheese, casseroles or any kind of sweets. I suggest doing casseroles more than anything though. You can prepare them in a foil dish that way she can just keep it when shes done. My favorite dish to give people has a mixture of cooked ground meat, stewed tomatoes and mac n cheese topped with cheddar cheese. Throw it together and give to get to prepare when she can.

Wow, what a difficult question to answer. I would say a nice wholesome vegetable soup. And a brown bread bun, a long with a nice glass of red wine.

But if it were me who had just had my husband die, I wouldn't be eating anything, then again, more surprised that I had a husband since I am both straight and 14...

Source(s): I shouldn't joke :(

Go for something light. Chicken salad, a meat and cheese tray from your local grocer goes good. bring condiments though. you never know if they are out of mayo, mustard, etc. and a bag of bread and chips. Usually they don't feel like eating much, but this will give them protein to keep up their strength. also I have found that the gallons of pre-made teas in the milk section are really good. prairie farms comes in sweet and unsweet. And don't forget the kids.

• Lainey

When my grandfather passed away a few years ago my family got a variety of things

Lots of casseroles ( basically whatever can be re-heated easily )

Meatloaf and mashed potatoes

Pork chops and scalloped potatoes

Stuffed peppers

Homemade mac & cheese

Pasta salads

Ham and potato salad

Tons of desserts, cakes, pies, brownies, cookies.

Even when we didn't feel much like eating, we had food available for the company that was there.

Whatever you take will be appreciated.

My great grandmother just died, and my mom and I made a lot of food for the viewing with plenty of leftovers for my great grandfather. We made a roasted chicken with onions, carrots, and tomatoes, oatmeal molasses cookies, hummus, and italian sausage and peppers. Those kinds of things are good.

By the way, allrecipes.com is a really great site to check out. I'm sorry for your friend's loss. I'll pray for her.