Self-employed--how to qualify for a mortgage?

My husband has excellent credit score (816) and has never file bankruptcy, never had debt nor has made late payments on any of our bills. He's been self-employed for 13 longs years. We have a good $62,000+ in liquid assets (savings, checking, mutual funds, stocks, etc...). We applied for a loan last week... show more My husband has excellent credit score (816) and has never file bankruptcy, never had debt nor has made late payments on any of our bills. He's been self-employed for 13 longs years. We have a good $62,000+ in liquid assets (savings, checking, mutual funds, stocks, etc...). We applied for a loan last week because we've been preparing for this moment for a loooong time, and we have finally decided to take the plunge to buy our very first home (a townhouse in Maryland). Basing on the current interest rates and the amount of the house we're planning on purchasing, our would-be monthly mortgage would even be less than what we're paying for now on rent (which we have never been late on either). This morning, we received a very disappointing news from the lender saying that we do not qualify for the loan. We've been more responsible than the majority of the population who are buying a house now. Just because my husband has a Form 1044 instead of W-2, he was denied. All of the assets and excellent credit standing have been set aside. Is it fair?--NO!!

So, we're now beginning to wonder how we could ever qualify for a loan? My husband is not willing to give up his own small business and change his lifestyle to be able to get a W-2 and own a home. But it's very discouraging. Can someone shed us some light on this? Is there a particular lender that's liscenced in the state of Maryland to work with Self-Employed borrowers?
Update: Being self-employed means you can write off a lot of your properties that you use towards your business. Obviously, the deductions make him look like he's not earning enough even if we still have enough left after all our monthly bills and rent. We were told that it depends on the lender who's willing to... show more Being self-employed means you can write off a lot of your properties that you use towards your business. Obviously, the deductions make him look like he's not earning enough even if we still have enough left after all our monthly bills and rent. We were told that it depends on the lender who's willing to give work with self-employed borrowers.
9 answers 9