Rosie asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 1 decade ago

What is a virtue? What is the relation between virtue and happiness?

What is a virtue? What is the relation between virtue and happiness(why think acquiring virtues will lead to happiness? What makes happinesss a self-sufficient good?

Thanks.

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

There is an old adage: Show me a person who has no vices and they will have no virtues.

There is some logic to this saying.

However, for the most part, I will agree that if you tend to have positive energy you will attract positive energy. Of course, there will always be the envious type people who will try to steal your joy. Never let anybody steal your happiness.

On the opposite side, you probably have also heard that misery loves company. So to answer your question (even though I already did) virtues are "characteristics valued as promoting individual and collective well-being."

A collective effort to live a virtuous life is an adventure in constantly promoting your own happiness. This happiness can be found in the joy of human relationships (if they are the right one's) or however you define living life to the fullest.

Life is much shorter than you think and in a blink of an eye you will find yourself near the middle or end of your life. Why not experience only the best of what life can offer?

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Rnd
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

I've always thought of virtue as the definition"Conformity to a standard of right" although as you can see there are many definitions of virtue and many ideas of what it is. By the way, for the purposes of that definition I define right to be good, humane, etc.

The relationship between happiness and virtue is a little tricky, I think. In a virtuous society, certainly maintaining and striving for virtue can make someone more involved in and in harmony with the people around them.

But what about a virtuous person in an inhumane, deceitful, barbaric society? I'm not entirely certain that being virtuous would lead to happiness. More that it might lead to struggle, possibly personal danger, isolation and generally being at odds with society.

This brings us to the self-sufficient good. Happiness is a self-sufficient good because it is one of the only things pursued for its own sake. If virtue is pursed solely to make someone happy, if being virtuous brings them peace and joy, then even in the barbaric society, it can still bring happiness.

• 1 decade ago

Virtue is a power Happiness is a feeling

• 1 decade ago

Virtue is doing the right thing basically.

Happiness is having a positive attitude basically and in a good mood.

Source(s): Dictionary.com > Virtue: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/virtue Dictionary.com > Happiness: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/happiness
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Virtue means moral strength. A person who acquires virtue is at peace with their conscnience and is free of fear.

• 1 decade ago

Virtue is the quality of doing what is right and avoiding what is wrong.

Acquiring virtues will make you life happier because you will be avoiding the wrong in life this will lead to good things and will genrally make you life better.

• 1 decade ago

Happiness is based on happenings around us, therefore it cannot be a self-sufficient good.

Virtues are (for the sake of this conversation, definition #2) conformity of one's life and conduct to moral and ethical principles; uprightness; rectitude.

If one conforms to society's expectations of what is "good" or "Right", then one is more likely to be happy because the happenINGS in one's life will (generally) fall into line with one's virtuous actions.

Joy, on the other hand *is* a self-sufficient good, coming from within and not being based on external happenings.

HTH.

• A virtue is like a quality...i think

Source(s): MOI o.O
  • 1 decade ago

a virtue is something that makes you a better person in your eyes and makes you happy.

• 1 decade ago

patience,chastity,virginity are examples of virtue. virtue: a admiral trait, happiness is a feeling you be the judge.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.