im looking for unique wedding center piece ideas! 10points to best answer!?

im getting married in august 2010 and i've started planning my wedding now so everything will be very well prepared for my big day!

i was thinking about different center piece ideas. in the wedding package i bought (from the venue), flowers and center pieces are included. the center piece will be placed in a circle or square small vase and will have flowers of my choice.

i may go w| tall fancy vases for a more elegant look rather than an average look.

i also wanted to have candles and petals around the vase but i wanted one more thing.. lol

i read somewhere today about a small fish bowl with two fishes (represents groom and bride). for some reason, i love this idea.

have you ever seen this before? do you think it would look weird? what would be your thoughts on sitting at a table w| 2 small fishies swimmin around?

my mom thinks its tacky. i think its cute and cool. lol

opinions? any advice?

10 points will go to the best answer.

EDIT:

at the wedding, there will be no kids except the ring bearer and the two flower girls. the fish wouldve been in a very tall vase where the only way someone can get to them is if they purposely tipped over the vase and removed the flowers.

EDIT:

i visited a pet store yesterday and asked the worker about the fishes available and told him about my idea.

after talking to him and learning more about the fishes, i learned that i could only get a "comic fish" (i think thats the name of the fish and i think thats how you would spell it) or a betta fish. those are the only two fish that can live in tap water without an air filter. i also learned that two male betta fish can not be in the same tank because they will attack eachother. the male betta fish are the cute ones and female ones are ugly.. in my opinion.

i decided NOT to go with the idea. although i loved the idea, i think it'll be too risky. had it been a regular party, i wouldve went for it but being that its a wedding, i dont want to take the risk of people being grossed out and walking out on my big day.

i may do this for my rehersal dinner though since there will be less people and whoever leaves, i dont care. lol

thanks for all the answers!

• Ro
    Favorite Answer

I also briefly considered the fish in the bowl idea, but upon further reflection all the points that Rina Jean brought up came to my mind and I decided it wasn't worth the potential hassle.

I'm not sure what your budget is, but I recently came upon a picture of something absolutely beautiful! 3 tall cylindrical vases filled with water, with 3 different types of white flowers submerged. Calla lillies in one, white tulips in another and I'm not sure about the other. A floating candle on the top completes the look.

Here's the link

http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/Articles/4614...

The fish idea is not a well-thought through one. While I agree that it could be really cute, there are some major flaws.

1) Some people will be grossed out and too distracted/disgusted to eat. There are people with issues like that.

2) They're expensive. Especially when you have two per table. And you'll have to make sure there are some extras just in case.

3) Some fish don't get along with each other and don't like sharing bowls. They will begin to fight, and nobody wants to see fish maiming each other under normal circumstances, let alone while eating.

4) There's a very high chance that a portion (if not all of them) will die at some point. Accidents can happen - someone could knock over the bowl, the transportation could not go as smoothly as desired, the stress of being schlepped around all day might be too much for their fragile beings, they might not get fed by accident, they might already be sick/old, they might need a specific temperature of water... You get my point. You don't want to end up short a few centerpieces, nor do you want your guests to be staring at a belly-up fish while they eat.

5) What in the world are you going to do with the ones that don't die? Do you have a fish tank? Or do you expect people to want to take them home with them? People will be tired and may have long drives ahead of them and most likely don't want to have to worry about getting a little fish home alive.

I'm trying to make my case without going all crazy Animal-Rights-Activist on you the way some people might and the way that is my initial instinct. But you also have to take into account that some guests may be unhappy with the fish centerpieces from that point of view, too. There are a lot of things that could be considered borderline animal abuse in having those centerpieces.

I hope you see what I'm trying to say.

I have not seen it in a wedding but I went to a Baptism party and the center piece vase had one gold fish with like rocks and gems at the bottom and flowers were coming out of the vase. I liked the idea and I'm sure something like that will look cute at your wedding too.

I don't like the fish bowl idea especially if you allow small children to attend because they may take the fish out. I think this is a good idea: http://www.infacity.com/detail.asp?id=16851 It is ia water activated diamond light that you could place at the bottom of the vase. I think it is unique.

• Woods

I like the fishbowl idea. I would have fun at a table watching the fish. It would be a true conversation starter.

Now........make sure you buy extra fish because some might die on the way to the venue. You don't want dead fish floating at the reception. ewwww.

And make sure the fish you choose are ones that can stay together in a fish bowl. Should be fun if you can work out the logistics.

I have this unique idea. Like a stand with a styrofoam ball with jolly ranchers glued around it. When it turns out, it looks very nice. I went to a Sweet 16 that had it.

Then another thing is a vase of flowers.

The fish bowl idea is cute. I like it. A friend of mine did this. You should have a net and different containers for people bring them home in. Maybe whoever's birthday is closest to your wedding date at each table gets the fish. Good luck,

Source(s): B2B

I've seen that a couple of times on wedding programmes: I think its a nice idea, but you might have to rescue the fish once your guests start to drink a little more!

http://www.tucsonweddingsite.com/wp-content/upload...

There was a beautiful centrepiece on Martha Stewart the other day: a floral sphere.

www.marthastewart.com/article/floral-sphere-centerpiece

Good luck x

There is a stunning tall centrepiece on this website:

www.table-centres.co.uk/table-centres/centrepieces8/greenglow-fishbowl-table-centre

i think its a good idea...but you have to keep in mind...fish cant be in water that is to warm...andif your'e planning on having a lot dancing and people in the room..you may need to talk to the facility to make sure the room stays at a certain temperature...the last think you or your guests want to see is fish flaoting at the top of the vase...

http://www.favorideas.com/wedding-blog/wedding-cen...

im doing 3 different centerpieces a tall medium and short one. I think this has a nice overall effect in the room

good luck!